Wow I did It!! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Wow I did It!!

Postby Johnjo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi I'll been phoning around for car insurance! Don't you just love that job?! Anyway this afternoon I tried a well know company that could have been started by Lord Nelson, readers in the UK will know which one I mean! Think Multicar!! Anyway! I was talking to a really friendly chap named Nathan who kept apologising for his very fast Welsh accent, I told him not to worry as I understood everything he said, and explained that we spend most weekends in Wales and I'm quite used to hearing Welsh accents, I even mentioned I had been trying to say a few words of Welsh! He said let me hear!!!! I said I'd rather not, anyway he convinced me to say " I'm trying to speak welsh " he laughed! I thought I've said it wrong! And apologised! He said No he wasn't laughing at me, but at the fact I had the accent spot on!! I have never spoken Welsh to a Welsh person before! He was amazed, I was made up all afternoon!! I have only ever done lesson one of the Northern Coarse and that was about 18 months ago! I'm really going to study a bit harder now!! I even bought the car insurance from him!! I'm still smiling this evening, Thanks, John. :lol: :wow:
Johnjo

Re: Wow I did It!!

Postby DavidHT » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:09 pm

That's brilliant!

I work in the motor insurance industry, and a number of insurers have offices all over Wales. Any chance I get I drop in a few words here and there, and people either laugh nervously and admit that they don't speak it, or react really warmly because they do.
David HT
I reached (southern) cwrs 2 gwers 18, and struggled. Went back to the beginning of course 2, by way of revision, and light relief! Currently revising gwers 9.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh, and if you can explain why that's even better!
Currently doing Mynediad 2 at evening classes.
DavidHT
SSiW Member

Re: Wow I did It!!

Postby essenbee » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:10 pm

:llongyf: Wonderful first "wild" encounter John - speaking Welsh on the phone can be quite scary! :smile:

Stu
Ar hyn o bryd, dw i'n astudio: Cwrs 3 Gwers 20 (fersiwn y Gogledd)
Yn ddiweddar, dw i wedi bod yn gwrando ar Meinir Gwilym
Beth ydw i'n darllen? Alecs Rider 1: Tarandon
Fel 'na ma' i a fel 'na fydd hi
essenbee
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind