First Skype Sessiwn | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

First Skype Sessiwn

Postby Jonathon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:08 pm

Well, I'm on course un, lesson tri and I managed to find a Skype partner on the forums and tonight was the first night we practised our Cymraeg on each other. We didn't get round to voice chat tonight, we were both too nervous; so we ended up writing Welsh phonetically to begin with and I would correct the spelling where possible (since my spelling is a lot better than my speaking/understanding of Welsh).

We actually understood each other quite well even though my partner is on course un, lesson wyth and especially as it was phonetic spelling of words. Really enjoyed it :) Spent nearly an hour babbling away in Wenglish.

This did lead to a funny question being asked though. My partner (who I won't name and shame), after the first couple of minutes tried asking me if I liked living in Llanon, but, the actual translation came out as: 'Do you like me?'

Lots of laughs all round, but well worth it. Should be doing voice chat next time which I am nervous but excited about :)
Running in the Caerdydd Mens Health, Survival of the Fittest Challenge, September 2013.
Jonathon

Re: First Skype Sessiwn

Postby GB101 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:46 am

Jonathon wrote: My partner (who I won't name and shame), after the first couple of minutes tried asking me if I liked living in Llanon, but, the actual translation came out as: 'Do you like me?'

It could be the start of something special :D

Geth
GB101
SSiW Member

Postby cwmgoch » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:47 am

Llongyfarchiadau (Congratulations) on your first Skype session!

It's taken me 20 lessons to build up the courage to start Skyping (which I'm about to start this week hopefully), so starting after only 3 lessons is fantastic! :D Hope it all goes well, and I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it. Looking forward to hearing about other interesting mis-translations! :wink:

P.S. Was interested to see that you're from Llanon. I've only briefly visited whilst on my way to Aberysytwyth, but generations of my paternal family came from Llanon and I still have family in the surrounding area. Really hoping for the opportunity to 'come home' to Ceredigion in the future.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. Currently on Cwrs 3 De, Gwers 4.
Dw i'n moyn llenwi'r we gydag amlgyfrwng hyfryd yn Gymraeg!
cwmgoch

Postby Aran » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:15 am

It's absolutely brilliant that you're doing this so early in the process - it's going to make a massive, massive difference to your learning...:star:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind