First ever sgwrs Cymraeg (with Cymdeithas yr Iaith!) | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: First ever sgwrs Cymraeg (with Cymdeithas yr Iaith!)

Postby karengo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:40 am

Way to go, Jonathan! You helped break down the stereotypes of what new learners can do and you did it in style!
karengo
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:12 pm

:seren:

Llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn iawn...:D

Language activists are always good people to practise with - but I don't know many people who would have been brave enough to have their very first conversation on a public stall - I salute you!
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby sumsmeister » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:20 pm

I had a similarly lovely conversation with the Cymdeithas stall at the National Eisteddfod in Glyn Ebwy, the only difference being that it wasn't my first sgwrs yn Gymraeg. Now you've broken your duck, it's brilliant to hear you're looking for more!
Llongyfarch mawr iawn! Dal i fynd!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby cwmgoch » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Diolch yn fawr iawn pawb for your very encouraging and supportive responses. Dych chi'n caredig iawn iawn. :smile: And yes, hopefully I'll be able to make it to another Tafwyl event this week and trio siarad Cymraeg again.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. Currently on Cwrs 3 De, Gwers 4.
Dw i'n moyn llenwi'r we gydag amlgyfrwng hyfryd yn Gymraeg!
cwmgoch

Postby Miri Mawr » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm not sure about Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg being 'a bit nutty', as somebody said, but I joined as a matter of principle as an almost complete beginner. I wanted to stand up and say that Welsh, and the future of the Welsh language, mattered very much to me, even though I hadn't been learning for more than a few months at the time. I even filled in the form in English!

Nobody seemed to mind. I too had an early conversation with a member who was wonderfully encouraging- diolch, Dafydd : then with another, now a friend : diolch, Jamie: - ... and went on a weekend away they organised for learners: in Tresaith as it happens. That's where my confidence really took off. I haven't looked back since, I'm an active member of Cymdeithas and I've really enjoy being part of the Welsh-speaking community too.
Ymlaen! :party:
Miri Mawr

Postby dinas » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:56 pm

RobertBruce wrote:The Cymdeithas people might sometimes be a bit nutty, seeing issues where there are none on occasion, being unnecessarily confrontational at times, but they are unfailingly nice folks who value the enthusiasm of those who are learning or have learned.

I'm a member and it's a fair description of me; and my life in general. :lol:
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind