Being polite? | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Being polite?

Postby halfwelsh » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:12 pm

I think that it is very sad that as a learner you should be corrected over the use of chi or ti. I get corrected myself over things and people just do not understand how off putting it can be.
I'm just ready a book published in 1948 by D Parry-Jones (written in English) about his childhood. Ti was used as a familiar word between people who knew each other. But it was also used to put people in their place when they stepped out of line. Times change obviously and bear in mind Parry-Jones was a child in the late 1800' Children also addressed people they knew by their first names (exclude Mum & Dad)
and certainly granny and granddad expected to be addressed by their Christian names.
halfwelsh
SSiW Member

Postby paws3 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:52 am

Hi All,
To RobertBruce, it's the members of the group who have all done courses who are strongly encouraging me...

To HalfWelsh, sadly Rosetta Stone do not do Welsh any more. I would buy a CD if I could (apparently you can't officially sell it on eBay etc but a private arrangement could be made if you aren't using yours anymore... :D )
Paws
paws3

Postby Iestyn » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:26 am

There's some good advice here!

You say that you are not that interested in reading and writing, and you have already proved that you are able to learn effectively using SSiW. Far more importantly, you have shown that you are zooming towards being a confident Welsh-speaker. You went to a practice session, get a pretty serious knock back, and got straight back at it, which tells me that there will not b emuch that can stand in your way!

I would never encourage anyone not to do formal lessons - they can add something that it is almost impossible for a web based course to do. But you do need to pick a course well, so I would definitely wait til the last minute before enroling!

The most important thing I would suggest is that you sit down and think what you want from your Welsh. You are already able to take a restricted part in the Welsh speaking community, and this ability will grow hugely as you progress through the course. If you can find your way into Welsh speaking life, then, from what you've shown so far, you may very well find that you never need a formal lesson.

On the other hand, if you want to get a more formal look at the language, the grammar, the rules etc, then lessons will give you something that we won't. Be careful in the early days, though, that this doesn't slow you down. Even if this is what you want, it may be that you are better off going bull-at-a-gate for the ability on spoken Welsh, and then getting into more formal lessons later.
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Sionned » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:50 pm

paws3 wrote:To HalfWelsh, sadly Rosetta Stone do not do Welsh any more. I would buy a CD if I could (apparently you can't officially sell it on eBay etc but a private arrangement could be made if you aren't using yours anymore... :D )

Actually, it was me than mentioned having Rosetta Stone. I'm really surprised that they don't have it any more, but it has been several years since I got it. Because I'm in the US, it might be difficult to get it to you, but I am open to the idea. If you want to discuss it, you can PM me (button under my name at the right ==> )
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby Dee » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:32 am

Iestyn wrote:On the other hand, if you want to get a more formal look at the language, the grammar, the rules etc, then lessons will give you something that we won't. Be careful in the early days, though, that this doesn't slow you down. Even if this is what you want, it may be that you are better off going bull-at-a-gate for the ability on spoken Welsh, and then getting into more formal lessons later.

I've definitely found Iestyn's advice here worked for me. I tried doing a formal course early on, before SSiW got up and running actually, and while I learnt a lot of grammar and vocab, my confidence in speaking was pretty low and I was really frustrated by it. Once SSiW came along I stopped going to the course and just concentrated on getting my listening, understanding and speaking up to a point where I thought "Now I'm ready to go back and learn the more formal Welsh - reading and writing and little intricacies of grammar". I'm really enjoying my night class now and getting far more out of it than if I'd just carried on plodding through. But we all have to find our own balance. Just don't decide to go to a course because other people think that's the only way to learn 'properly'!
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby cwmgoch » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Shwmai Paws. Apologies if you've already read this, but I recently posted about a conversation I had that will hopefully make you feel a little better about the whole 'ti/chi' thing. :smile:
http://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9612
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. Currently on Cwrs 3 De, Gwers 4.
Dw i'n moyn llenwi'r we gydag amlgyfrwng hyfryd yn Gymraeg!
cwmgoch

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind