Speaking Welsh on Ebay! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Speaking Welsh on Ebay!

Postby Iestyn » Tue May 14, 2013 10:17 am

Wow! Speaking Welsh on the phone is amazing - speaking on the phone is far more difficult than face to face, because there are no visual clues. Da iawn ti!

I would love to phone this person up and thank them personally for such a positive attitude to Welsh and to helping a new speaker, but I think they might find that a bit spooky, so I'd better not...

I'm not sure that any from-birth speaker realises how much it means to a new speaker being able to spread their wings with a real-life Welsh speaker, but that is the threshold that you have to cross to become a "real-life" Welsh speaker yourself. You haev passed through the door in the most awesome way, JeanB - you're an inspiration to us all!

:seren:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby JeanB » Tue May 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks Carmen. It really is worth making that first move isn't it. You never know where it will lead to. Usually to making a new Welsh friend I have found! Well done to you too and good luck with your chat...and your wine!! The 2 go nicely together! :smile:

Iestyn wrote:I would love to phone this person up and thank them personally for such a positive attitude to Welsh and to helping a new speaker, but I think they might find that a bit spooky, so I'd better not...

Thank you for your kind words Iestyn. Yes this lady deserves an award. I received my ebay item in the post today along with a Welsh magazine and newspaper! Also since our first ebay message, she has emailed me each morning with a message in Welsh, which I have then answered. I will certainly tell her what you said. It made me think that maybe we should have a SSIW certificate to award to first language speakers who have gone the extra mile to help a learner. I may just make one and send it to her!! :smile:
Please feel free to correct my mistakes. Diolch!
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby dinas » Tue May 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Great idea! You must send the certificate. I'd love to hand them out on my travels.
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby JeanB » Tue May 14, 2013 7:03 pm

I've made one and sent it Kim! :smile:

I may print some smaller versions of it to keep on me when I go on my travels. You are welcome to have a copy. If you let me have your email address I will send it to you. Feel free to alter it as needed. My wording may not be perfect! :smile:
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby Carmen28 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:36 pm

This week at Cymdeithas Cymraeg Maespedr we are having a 'Taste of Wales' evening. Member volunteers have offered to make a dish from a Welsh recipe and take it along to be sampled by other members. My contribution is Ffagodau a pys gleision, from my mother's recipe.. about which my friend from Ceredigion says 'Diolch am gwneud ffagodau at gyfarfod nos Iau. Rydw i'n hoffi ffagodau yn fawr.'
Can't wait to find out what else will be on offer....recipes in Welsh hopefully. She and I, are emailing each other for a chat most days, use it or lose it.
Gwell hwyr na hwyrach.
Yn siarad iaith arall yn byw bywyd arall.
Carmen28

Postby JeanB » Wed May 15, 2013 8:57 am

That sounds a great idea Carmen. Are ffagodau faggots? Maybe we could have a new thread on here with tried and tested Welsh recipes! :smile:
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby Carmen28 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:41 pm

Just to continue the 'foody' thread, Jean, last night's Taste of Wales was a resounding success. :clap:
Most definitely 'Blasus iawn.'
The dishes on offer ranged from Cacennau Iago ('Berffro cakes) Tiesen lap, Mini Tarten Bara Lawr, Myffins gyda cennin a chaws, Tarten Cennin a Gellygen, Tarten tatws a nionod, Cocos Penclawdd, Ffagod gyda pys gleision. There were quiches of cheese and onion,Welsh Honey cakes as well as a meringue-topped cinnamon sponge, filled with blackcurrants. :lol:
Just over two dozen members did the tasting and had a great time whilst discussing their recipes. The empty serving dishes were soon washed and returned to owners whilst dates for the next two events....a garden party and summer BBQ were given out. :party:
It was interesting to get both versions of ingredients (N and S) in Welsh.
Gwell hwyr na hwyrach.
Yn siarad iaith arall yn byw bywyd arall.
Carmen28

Postby JeanB » Fri May 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Sounds like it went brilliantly Carmen. Makes me feel hungry just reading about it! :smile:
JeanB
SSiW Member

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind