It finally happened. | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

It finally happened.

Postby Silverfang » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:16 pm

With the recent push for SSIW member to get Iaith Gwaith Badges (not badgers!) through Dee I decided that I would dig out my badge and wear it to work last night (I work in a events bar within a hotel so we do weddings, comedy nights, booked parties and hotel organised events such as Grease tribute as it was last night) since apart from the rare event (such as a first language bridal party at a wedding, or a few people at a Ymchwil Canser Cymru (Cancer Research Wales)) I haven't had much chance to speak to people in Welsh, and even then only passing phrases.

Last night I was pleasantly surprised, the magic of the badge worked, a couple ladies came over to the bar and immediately ordered in Welsh and continued speaking to each other in Welsh, only one or two English words were passed between the three of us and I completed their order without much hassle (the joy of brands!) and even guessed that they were asking for ice even though I didn't know the word previously (and have since forgotten it! :-? ) Second time round the same lady came up to order with a different person also speaking Welsh and I managed to do their order, messing up only one drink (which I didn't find out till later) by putting lime cordial and lemonade in the drink instead of the slices of the fruit they were asking for, both times I even asked for the money in Welsh and all was good.

Later on; another member of their group came over to order but ordered in English, I recognised the round and mentioned how I'd done the lime and lemon earlier and she realised it was me who was taking their orders earlier, at which point she said that they had said I spoke Welsh (which from a Welsh speaker was a huge compliment for me) and she said that she was a first language speaker her self, but didn't want to order in Welsh in case she got one of the other 4 members of bar staff, in conversation it turns out they're all first language Welsh and work for the S4C production company Tinopolis, I explained that I was only a learner and apparently her friends though I was an actual speaker, and didn't mention my few mistakes, so I'll take it as a win and will definitely be wearing my badge more often.

Diolch yn fawr.

Matt
Silverfang
SSiW Member

Re: It finally happened.

Postby Iestyn » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Brilliant, Matt. To be recognised as a Welsh speaker is a huge, and totally deserved, boost. It looks like you're going to have to admit more often that you are a Welsh speaker!

Really, drop the "learner" tag now. I speak Welsh, but I learn new words and new things about the structure of Welsh all the time. So do you. Ok, I know some structures that you don't, but who cares?

Wear your badge with pride! You are a Welsh speaker... :star:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Lurch2 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:30 pm

Wahey!

Well done, Matt!

Feels good, doesn't it!
These 'natural' moments outside Welsh events/evenings are the best, aren't they!
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. My English, however, is beyond all hope.

Lurch2
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:31 pm

Silverfang wrote:With the recent push for SSIW member to get Iaith Gwaith Badges (not badgers!) through Dee I decided that I would dig out my badge and wear it to work last night (I work in a events bar within a hotel so we do weddings, comedy nights, booked parties and hotel organised events such as Grease tribute as it was last night) since apart from the rare event (such as a first language bridal party at a wedding, or a few people at a Ymchwil Canser Cymru (Cancer Research Wales)) I haven't had much chance to speak to people in Welsh, and even then only passing phrases.
Later on; another member of their group came over to order but ordered in English, I recognised the round and mentioned how I'd done the lime and lemon earlier and she realised it was me who was taking their orders earlier, at which point she said that they had said I spoke Welsh (which from a Welsh speaker was a huge compliment for me) and she said that she was a first language speaker her self, but didn't want to order in Welsh in case she got one of the other 4 members of bar staff, in conversation it turns out they're all first language Welsh and work for the S4C production company Tinopolis, I explained that I was only a learner and apparently her friends though I was an actual speaker, and didn't mention my few mistakes, so I'll take it as a win and will definitely be wearing my badge more often.

Not only is that a win for you -- it's a big win for your employer. Think about it: people from Tinopolis went back and discussed among themselves that they were able to get service in Welsh with no fuss. That kind of thing is bound to make an impression for the next time Tinopolis plans an event. Da iawn ti!
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Dee » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:08 pm

That's brilliant! You must feel really proud of yourself. There you are - you're a Welsh speaker now!!

And Tahl is right - what a bonus for your employer!! I hope you get lots more Welsh speakers coming by. Perhaps the other staff will be inspired to learn a little Welsh themselves :D
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Cer » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:18 pm

:D
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby Gruntius » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:31 pm

What a great story, and yet another massive boost for all us other learners on this site. Keep up the great work.

:seren:
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby leiafee » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:42 pm

And the mistake is the kind of thing that could happen in a noisy bar regardless of first or second langauge being in use!
leiafee
SSiW Member

Postby vgh50 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:23 pm

Keep wearing that badge Matt! Great story :star:
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:47 am

Absolutely fantastic! Llongyfarchiadau MAWR.

:seren:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind