Just had a go | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Just had a go

Postby Mort's Cap » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Haha, no I wasn't punched but who knows if behind that gentle smile wasn't "Bless, she's only a learner. She probably didn't mean to say "the fridge is on fire" just there".

Seriously though, I have no idea whatsoever how much difference there is between north and south dialects. Yesterday's experience does make me wonder how easy it will be for two people, one from each 'side', to understand each other, particularly if they both happen to be in the early stages of learning. I'm not trying to justify the fact I didn't really understand Rob because he's from the north....well, alright maybe just a bit... :D What about S4C and Radio Cymru - do they mix and match the two dialects too? I'm too inexperienced to have picked that up for myself yet. If anyone knows any programmes that are particularly good for south learners, I'd be interested please.
Mort's Cap

Postby Penallyanne » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:12 pm

I was walking to my car after our welsh coffee morning in Tenby, when a couple asked me where the supermarket was. I gave her directions and then was very brave(I thought.) Because she had a very thick North Walian accent, I asked if she spoke Welsh. Well of course back came a torrent. So we had five minutes of educational (from my point of view) and excruciating (I'm sure from hers) conversation. She was so pleased that I was trying and said she nearly asked for directions in Welsh but just assumed that no one around here would speak the language. Wouldn't that have been a feather in my cap if she had have done and I was able to answer her.
Penallyanne

Postby Mort's Cap » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Well done you, Penallyanne. I assume you a bit further on than I am, but you still did well to go for it, given that she was a 'northie' and (I'm guessing) you are a 'southie'? (I was going to say a westie but that would make you a dog :D )

Tenby, Penally...many good childhood memories of the beaches along there. Lucky you!
Mort's Cap

Postby Wil-ab-Eynon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:10 pm

Well done Anne, hats off to you for trying out you Welsh outside the comfort zone of the coffee morning group. :llongyf: I missed this Wednesday morning, I've been busy with work, but I hope to join you all next week. Wil
Wil-ab-Eynon
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:55 am

Mort's Cap wrote:Yesterday's experience does make me wonder how easy it will be for two people, one from each 'side', to understand each other, particularly if they both happen to be in the early stages of learning.

It can be an issue in the early stages - when you have limited vocab, every extra unknown word is a real hiccup. But whatever you hear (lots of people like to over play it, lots of people repeat urban myths), it's not a problem for conversationally comfortable speakers - I've known Iestyn for a decade or so now, and we've never needed to speak English to each other...:wink:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind