First encounter...in Prague | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

First encounter...in Prague

Postby Armyn Caer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:16 am

Finally I had my first true welsh encounter outside the classroom.
It was in Prague, in an irish pub, with an english (I´m Austrian btw).
I had a trip to Prague with some friends who go there every year in February to meet some english friends there and to have some days of drinking, eating and chatting.
When we had breakfast on the second day, the english guys told us that they were in an irish-pub that was crowded with welsh. So I was excited and in the evening I went there (it was the day when Wales played Rwgby against Italy and thereafter England against France). So I thought this would be a good chance to finally meet some welsh people. But there were none. NONE!
Greatly disappointed I joined my group again, who sat in an other irish pub (it might be appear a bit silly to visit Prague and then sitting in an irish pub, but the english guys wanted to watch the match against France). Nevertheless I was still a bit disappointed, but watched the match with pleasure, when suddenly one of my friends (who was just talking to some other tourists) called me. "Now, that´s funny, these two people here are from Wales" he said. Excited I came over to them and tried to have a chat. It was a couple from North-Wales, Sandra and Chris. Chris was originally from South-England and learned welsh when the moved up to Abergele (or was it Conwy? It was somewhere that area). Sandra as a native welsh couldn´t speak the language. Her parents were even 1st language welsh, but she was not raised with welsh and now as grown-up, it was hard for her to learn it. Nevertheless, after this very nice encounter (both of them joined us for the rest of the evening) she felt more than ambitioned to give it a new try (of course I told her of SSiW).
Well, this was my first encounter and I enjoyed it! :party:
Armyn Caer

Re: First encounter...in Prague

Postby Tahl » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Armyn Caer wrote:Finally I had my first true welsh encounter outside the classroom.
It was in Prague, in an irish pub, with an english (I´m Austrian btw).
It was a couple from North-Wales, Sandra and Chris. Chris was originally from South-England and learned welsh when the moved up to Abergele (or was it Conwy? It was somewhere that area). Sandra as a native welsh couldn´t speak the language. Her parents were even 1st language welsh, but she was not raised with welsh and now as grown-up, it was hard for her to learn it. Nevertheless, after this very nice encounter (both of them joined us for the rest of the evening) she felt more than ambitioned to give it a new try (of course I told her of SSiW).
Well, this was my first encounter and I enjoyed it! :party:

If *you* were surprised by the circumstances, imagine how surprised the couple from Wales must have felt! :star:
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Aran » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:16 pm

What a fantastic story...:seren:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Armyn Caer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Yes, fantastic indee. So ithought I share it with you... :)
Armyn Caer

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind