Great Google+ Experience | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Great Google+ Experience

Postby LFDLisa » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 am

This evening I had my first Welsh conversation with real people! Normally, I play the role of both people while in my car, coming up with questions out loud, and answering myself as I would expect the other person to respond. (Yes, sometimes feeling :dafad: -ish when I'm at a red light and realize someone has pulled up next to me, but oh, well!)

I am currently on Course 1, Lesson 7. I joined in the Google+ Wed. evening group, and it was wonderful! There were phrases that I picked up on immediately, and others frustratingly I knew I SHOULD have been able to translate, but forgot their meaning in the moment. What I was most surprised at was the amount of words I actually recognized while listening to someone who was in Course 3. I recognized enough where I could follow the topic at hand most of the time.

Everyone was very patient with me while I racked my brain for vocabulary that comes quite naturally when alone, yet failed me in the 'spotlight' on Google+. Still, I felt pleased that the other participants seemed to understand what I was trying to say, and I even got the group to laugh at my story at one point!

Kudos to all those who put this course together. A great big diolch yn fawr to you all!
LFDLisa

Re: Great Google+ Experience

Postby Gruntius » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:38 am

:seren:
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:50 pm

That's a fantastic achievement for so early in the course, Lisa - HUGE congratulations...:seren:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Carmen28 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:02 pm

Da iawn, Lisa, congratulations. :clap:
Thanks for posting - you have given me hope for my first attempt at a link up this coming Saturday 26th. Whilst many SSiWrs will be at the Parti Penblwydd I shall endeavour to fly the flag from this side of the big pond. Will anyone else be joining in from the UK?
Gwell hwyr na hwyrach.
Yn siarad iaith arall yn byw bywyd arall.
Carmen28

Postby LFDLisa » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Diolch, Aran!

Carmen28, good luck this weekend!
LFDLisa

Postby mcrossmire » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:40 pm

LFDLisa wrote:(Yes, sometimes feeling :dafad: -ish when I'm at a red light and realize someone has pulled up next to me, but oh, well!)

I have my iPad on the seat next to me and use the SSiW App while driving, and I'm sure people are wondering why the guy in the next car is talking to himself. :dafad: To be honest, as I live alone, I do a lot of talking to myself, but now sometimes in Welsh!

Congratulations on doing so well!
Course 2, southern. 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,[24] -->
mcrossmire
SSiW Member

Postby lbej » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:05 pm

LFDLisa wrote: I felt pleased that the other participants seemed to understand what I was trying to say, and I even got the group to laugh at my story at one point!

Lisa -

I'm glad that the experience was a positive one for you - we certainly enjoyed having you take part! I knew ahead of time that you were on Lesson 7, and so was very impressed with how much Welsh you've already mastered. Well done!!!! Llongyfarchiadau! :clap: I look forward to chatting more with you in the Google+ group.

Hwyl fawr -

Lynn.
Dw i'n gwneud Cwrs 3 Gogledd, Gwers 20
lbej
SSiW Member

Postby Carmen28 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Diolch yn fawr Lynn am dy amynedd, heddiw. Dw i wedi hoffi y Google hangout heddiw.
Edrych ymlaen i siarad muy yr amser nesa! Un waith eto 'Diolch'.

Please feel free to correct my mistakes!
Gwell hwyr na hwyrach.
Yn siarad iaith arall yn byw bywyd arall.
Carmen28

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind