Interesting ways to learn Welsh! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Interesting ways to learn Welsh!

Postby Susiekearle » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:48 pm

I recently spent four weeks at Aberystwyth University on their Cwrs Wlpan (beginners level) followed by a stay in Aberdovey as a base to walk the Borth to Barmouth section of the new Wales Coast Path. A miserable day saw my husband and I taking the train to Porthmadog. After a meal in a pub as my husbnad paid the bill I noticed a lady enjoying a pint speaking to her dog in Welsh. I ventured over and asked if I could practice my Welsh. She was very helpful and we engaged in a short converastion. As I said my goodbyes she said I could talk to her dog - he understood Welsh, was an uncomplaining listener and didn't correct you if you got it wrong!
Susiekearle
SSiW Member

Re: Interesting ways to learn Welsh!

Postby Lurch2 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Oh well done!

I wish I had had the confidence to try things like that before I started with SSiW!

With an attitude like that (it may seem a small thing, but engaging strangers in a language you are learning takes a great deal of courage- at least I think so!), you are sure to come on in leaps and bounds with SSiW.

Oh, and welcome!
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. My English, however, is beyond all hope.

Lurch2
SSiW Member

Postby Susiekearle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Lurch2 wrote:Oh well done!

I wish I had had the confidence to try things like that before I started with SSiW!

With an attitude like that (it may seem a small thing, but engaging strangers in a language you are learning takes a great deal of courage- at least I think so!), you are sure to come on in leaps and bounds with SSiW.

Oh, and welcome!

Just thought I would let you know that I only have about 15 "stock" sentences. I am not sure how I would cope if any conversation I have lasts any longer than talking about name, where I live, family, holidays, interests and cerdded Llwbr Afordir etc. I consider myself an ancient celt now (70) and am too old to worry if I get it wrong. You just have to give it a go, most welsh people I have met are delighted at your attempts to speak to them in the language and very complimentary at the smallest of sentences. My youngest daughter always says "feel the fear and do it anyway" its the first opportunity that is the worse, after that it is easy.

Thanks for the welcome and pob lwc
Susiekearle
SSiW Member

Postby jstetson » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Well, SSiW will have you in fine shape to talk about (and to) cats and dogs in no time! :D
Feel free to correct my Welsh, os gwelwch yn dda.
Words are like children, they behave differently with their friends.
jstetson
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind