Stuck on zero, then .... | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Stuck on zero, then ....

Postby shak » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:06 pm

After 3 days in Aberdyfi, opening every chance conversation in Welsh, I was thinking it was true that everyone came from Sutton Coldfield. Then i went to buy an OS map. The ladies in the tourist office switched into English as I walked in then back to Welsh as I opened up. After that we had a bit of banter about beinf too old to read the map, how it was a lovely day for a walk, whether it would rain later, how it never rained in Aberdyfi except on the ladies'day off etc. On my way out it struck me that those kind ladies had treated me like any Welsh speaking person and I was thrilled to bits. So, thanks again SSIW, it just gets better and better.
Mae hynny'n wir, Louis, mae fy hobi'n llosgi bwriadol
shak
SSiW Member

Re: Stuck on zero, then ....

Postby Iestyn » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:23 pm

shak wrote:On my way out it struck me that those kind ladies had treated me like any Welsh speaking person and I was thrilled to bits.

Sorry, Shak - that's all you are now, just another Welsh speaker. You've gone through the excitement of being an excellent Welsh learner, now you're just a Welsh speaker. :-? :sad: :cry:

:llongyf:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Aran » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:30 pm

:seren:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby shak » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:24 pm

Iestyn wrote:
shak wrote:On my way out it struck me that those kind ladies had treated me like any Welsh speaking person and I was thrilled to bits.

Sorry, Shak - that's all you are now, just another Welsh speaker. You've gone through the excitement of being an excellent Welsh learner, now you're just a Welsh speaker. :-? :sad: :cry:

:llongyf:

Well, what could be better than that?
I had a funny encounter yesterday, running back over the hill from Dyffryn Glyn-Cul. I met two men and two dogs by a stile and started off, 'Bore da i chi, mae'n wyntog iawn y bore 'ma'. 'Erm, good morning', says one bloke, looking horrified. I was about to explain I was learning Welsh when I realised he was looking at the blood down my arm and the amount of mud I was carrying. Instead, I just told them I'd slipped off a sheep trod and fallen about 20 feet down the hill. You can be too self conscious about your language :-)
shak
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:06 pm

shak wrote:I had a funny encounter yesterday, running back over the hill from Dyffryn Glyn-Cul. I met two men and two dogs by a stile and started off, 'Bore da i chi, mae'n wyntog iawn y bore 'ma'. 'Erm, good morning', says one bloke, looking horrified. I was about to explain I was learning Welsh when I realised he was looking at the blood down my arm and the amount of mud I was carrying. Instead, I just told them I'd slipped off a sheep trod and fallen about 20 feet down the hill. You can be too self conscious about your language :-)

All that happens to you and you can still come out with Welsh!! You really ARE a Welsh speaker now :star:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Aran » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:20 am

Gold dust. I remember dropping a load of change in a shop once, and instead of feeling embarrassed, just thinking 'Oh good, now they'll never notice all those mutations I just got wrong'...:wink:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby RobertBruce » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:44 am

Aran wrote:Gold dust. I remember dropping a load of change in a shop once, and instead of feeling embarrassed, just thinking 'Oh good, now they'll never notice all those mutations I just got wrong'...:wink:

Ironically, of course, the chances are that they never noticed them anyway! :D
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby shak » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:59 am

Iawn ta, we're off to Machynlleth this afternoon so I'll just apply the mud and blood and take loads of change. Everyone has been taught to pronounce where we're going and for some reason they'd rather go to Corris :-) :star:
shak
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Nothing wrong with Corris! There's an interesting Arts and Crafts Centre there. And one of the shops runs courses on making furniture from recycled wood and slate and other bits of worn-out Welsh countryside. Anyway, Mach is a fascinating place - especially the old parliament building. They've spent a bit on it recently...
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby shak » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:48 pm

sumsmeister wrote:Nothing wrong with Corris! There's an interesting Arts and Crafts Centre there. And one of the shops runs courses on making furniture from recycled wood and slate and other bits of worn-out Welsh countryside. Anyway, Mach is a fascinating place - especially the old parliament building. They've spent a bit on it recently...

Agree entirely, and a decent choice of kid's books in Welsh too at Corris. And a wonderful route to Tywyn where I can threaten the grandkids with running up Cadair Idris before they even think of eating another Welsh cake (I' ve baked 3 dozen this week) :-)
shak
SSiW Member

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind