I survived to tell the tale!! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Is this how I say it?

Postby JeanB » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Aran wrote:We're off to babysit for my brother for a week from Sunday
Now that sounds like a "Big Welsh Challenge!" Pob Lwc! :D

Thank you Andy, Iestyn and SJ for your kind words. I will re read them as the fortnight goes on to help keep up my courage! :D

Andy that was very kind to offer to sponsor. I have sent you a P.M. with my details but your support on here is plenty really! :D
Please feel free to correct my mistakes. Diolch!
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby Cer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:44 am

Good luck, Jean! It's a great idea, and I'm sure you'll do well. :seren:
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby JeanB » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:02 am

Thank you Cer. :D
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:40 am

That is such a brilliant idea! I can only echo what others have already said and wish you all the best. I'm sure you'll meet lots of lovely people and really enjoy the whole 2 weeks. Pob lwc! :star:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby JeanB » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Thank you Dee. Have arrived now.Missed an opportunity in a cafe on the way but it was very busy. There should be lots more chances over the 2 weeks and from previous experience I'm sure people will be lovely as you say.:D.
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby Sionned » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:18 pm

I really envy you, Jean. First, just for being able to 'pop over to Wales' to vacation. Then for having the opportunity and support from your family to really practice and use your Welsh. >sigh< I'm greatly looking forward to the next time we are able to come to Wales, but I'm betting it won't be for quite a while. :sad:
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby JeanB » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:56 pm

I do feel very lucky Sionned but I'm sure your part of the world has lots of special places and people too. Hope you get a chance to visit Wales soon :D
Last edited by JeanB on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeanB
SSiW Member

I survived to tell the tale!!

Postby JeanB » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:12 pm

I have just got back from 2 weeks in Pen Llŷn with my husband and 2 sons. My friends and family sponsored me to speak Welsh with as many people as possible to raise money for our local cancer unit who were so supportive to my husband during his recovery. Well it has been an amazing 2 weeks and being sponsored definitely gave me the courage I needed to use my Welsh whenever possible. The people I met and spoke to have been fantastic and I have raised over £300 for the unit. :faint:

I made it clear to people I spoke to that I wasn’t asking for money, just for them to sign my form as a record and “evidence” that I had had a reasonable conversation with them and been understood! However several also insisted on sponsoring me which was incredibly generous of them. I received some lovely comments on my Welsh speaking so of course each time I explained about SSIW and gave out business cards and window stickers. I don’t want to bore you with all the details of my holiday but I would like to mention the highlights of my Welsh speaking moments as there are several places I would highly recommend to other learners if ever they are in this beautiful part of North Wales. :D

1 Caffi’r Penwaig, Nefyn – We have been regulars here for years but always spoken English so they were surprised but very pleased as I ordered our meal in Welsh as well as very kindly sponsoring me too.

2 Nant Gwyrtheyrn – Welsh Language Centre. The lady in the gift shop was very friendly and spoke slowly and clearly for me to be able to understand her.I still find it harder to understand what is said back to me than speaking, so this was great.

3 Palas Print, Caernarfon – I booked tickets for Steve Eaves and Lleuwen and received very flattering comments from the 2 very friendly ladies here. They already had a sticker in the window!

4 Plas Glyn Y Weddw – Llanbedrog Art Gallery – very busy the day we went but staff were happy with me speaking Welsh while picking up some tickets which I had booked ( partly in Welsh!)over the phone from home.

5 Plas Yn Rhiw, Mynytho – Ann Owen one of the curates at this lovely little National Trust Plas, was amazing!! Highly recommended. She was so friendly and greeted everyone in Welsh, encouraging every visitor to have a go so I had a lovely long chat with her.She was very interested in SSIW.

6 Nana’s Cafe, Pwllheli – The Welsh assistants were very patient as I ordered our meal and the younger assistant made my day when she said that I sounded Welsh. The owner isn’t Welsh but he is learning along with his children so of course SSIW was highly recommended to him.

7 Pesda Roc, Neuadd Ogwen, Bethesda. Thrilled to see Steve Eaves and Lleuwen here. I have been listening to them a lot recently thanks to discovering them on SSIW and love them both. This whole night was amazing! The organisors treated us like VIPs when they realised I was learning to speak Welsh. I felt very touched when one of them even thanked me for doing so. We were invited to sit in ( front seats!)on the warm up as we were very early. So we got to listen to Lleuwen twice! As Lleuwen came off stage she noticed me trying to take her picture and invited me to take it in the back room where it was lighter – my son took one of us both together. One of the organisors told her I was learning to speak Welsh so I felt more able to continue trying to manage our conversation just in Welsh! She was lovely and wanted to know more about how, why etc. She had heard of SSIW! She told me she now lived in Brittany with her French hubby. Eventually I asked her to sign my form feeling very chuffed to have Lleuwen’s name on there. She handed her lovely 5 month old son over to me while she did so, then she and her friend thrust money into my bag insisting they sponsor me too! Lleuwen explained that she had lost her mother to cancer. I said that I had heard about this as her father Steve Eave’s latest album is in tribute to her.She said her Dad would love to speak to me too but he was chatting to others and I was quaking by then!! I was so thrilled to have managed all this in Welsh! Thank you SSIW !! Throughout the concert I was sitting next to 2 brilliant ladies from Wrexham who chatted to me in Welsh. At every interval we talked and I had time to think of questions to ask them which helped it become more of a 2 way conversation.They were passionate about the Welsh Language and were pleased and intrigued about my learning Welsh.They also insisted on sponsoring me.

I got 20 signatures on my sheet by the end of the 2 weeks; but had lots of shorter encounters where I didn’t feel it was appropriate to ask for a signature e.g. in a long queue in a shop! I have to confess I felt all Welshed out by the end of the 2 weeks but what an experience!

It was also lovely to meet up with my SSIW skype pals Maeve ( lovely to see you again) and Pabi ( great to meet you Pabi and thank you again for sponsoring me)and then spotting SJ in Nefyn - recognising her from her photo and her appearance on Hwb. Lovely to have met you SJ.

Woops sorry, I'm afraid this did get a bit long winded after all :oops: but I can't finish without saying once again thank you to SSIW for this fantastic course and to the great bunch of folk on the forum. I thought this was just about learning a language. It has been much more!
:diolch: :dawnsio:
Last edited by JeanB on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeanB
SSiW Member

Re: I survived to tell the tale!!

Postby Sionned » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:24 pm

Oh, Jean - llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn!!! You should be chuffed about having such a wonderful experience! And besides all the great practice you had, it sounds like you met some truly lovely people as well. How good is that!

I'm going to nip over and change the title of this thread to "I survived to tell the tale!!" so that people will know this great story is here!
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Re: I survived to tell the tale!!

Postby Tahl » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Oh my goodness. Wow, Jean. What a two weeks you had! You must feel so accomplished -- you raised money, you raised consciousness (of the cancer unit and of Welsh), you confirmed to yourself what you can do with Welsh. Just wow.

EDIT to add: And you met Lleuwen! Envious. :D
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind