I survived to tell the tale!! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: I survived to tell the tale!!

Postby SJ » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:02 pm

JeanB wrote:It was also lovely to meet up with my SSIW skype pals Maeve ( lovely to see you again) and Pabi ( great to meet you Pabi and thank you again for sponsoring me)and then spotting SJ in Nefyn - recognising her from her photo and her appearance on Hwb. Lovely to have met you SJ.
:

It was lovely to meet you Jean. Apologies if I was a bit shell shocked. The lecture while very interesting, was very draining as the lecturer was speaking so fast and my brain didn't want to switch to English to speak to you! I'm glad to hear that you had a great holiday in Pen Llŷn and managed to speak Welsh in so many different places!
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby Catrin Lliar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:42 pm

JeanB wrote:I think it may well have been a clip that Catrin put on here that drew my attention to her - the Nos Da Nawr lullaby. So diolch Catrin! Another favourite of mine is Dy Gynnal Di which she sang at Pesda Roc at a slower pace than on the album.

I really love 'Dy Gynnal Di' also and 'Fel Storm'... So beautiful! Did Steve sing 'Nos Da Mam'? A beautiful lullaby which reminds me very much of sunday nights of my childhood. I remember particularly listening to this song on the stereo in the car, the day we were taking our first born Angharad home from the hospital. Aran was driving and I was sittinf in the back with Angharad gazing down at the miracle of her (we had waited a long three and a half years for her) with big, fat, hot tears streaming down my cheeks... That song will always be very close to my heart. :wink:

I enjoyed very much reading the tales of your holiday - what a heartwarming and inspirational tale full of fantastic experiences - what a trip you had! Well done Jean you did so amazingly well and raised an admirable amount of money for a very worthy cause, just fantastic! :D
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby JeanB » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:42 pm

shak wrote:
Mrs Shak says the proper description is 'daft' :lol: Rarely a day goes by without a minor plummet .....

You will have to start taking more water with it Andy! :wink:

jstetson wrote:Wow. I mean really, just wow!

Diolch Jan!

SJ wrote:
It was lovely to meet you Jean. Apologies if I was a bit shell shocked. The lecture while very interesting, was very draining as the lecturer was speaking so fast and my brain didn't want to switch to English to speak to you! I'm glad to hear that you had a great holiday in Pen Llŷn and managed to speak Welsh in so many different places!

No apology needed SJ. I was sorry not to have much Welsh left in me for you by then!! It was almost the end of our hols and I had been doing a mix of trying to get some of the Welsh in one ear and using the translator/headphones in the other and my brain was still addled!! :D

Catrin Lliar wrote:I really love 'Dy Gynnal Di' also and 'Fel Storm'... So beautiful! Did Steve sing 'Nos Da Mam'? A beautiful lullaby which reminds me very much of sunday nights of my childhood...

I enjoyed very much reading the tales of your holiday - what a heartwarming and inspirational tale full of fantastic experiences - what a trip you had! Well done Jean you did so amazingly well and raised an admirable amount of money for a very worthy cause, just fantastic! :D

Hi Catrin. Yes he did sing Nos Da Mam which I also love. How lovely to have those memories associated with the song. We had a similar wait for both our babies ( now 12 and 17!) so I know just how you must have been feeling. I have often thought it would be lovely to hear Lleuwen and Steve singing that one together but maybe too painful because of what it may mean to them. I love Fel Storm too and Bore Sadwrn. Have you heard her with the band Acoustique - Album Cyfnos is brilliant too.
Thank you for your kind words and thank you so much for doing the soundfile for me just before I set off. I was very touched that you and Aran went to the trouble. I used it a few times to help me get it right. I know it off by heart now!! :D
Please feel free to correct my mistakes. Diolch!
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 am

How did I miss this epic post? There's enough material for a few months of progress reports/encounters of the nervous kind here! ___ <- that's the "gold-star-fallen-over-in-shock" emoticon

I second Jean's suggestion to head over to Plas yn Rhiw. Ann Owen is a cheery and chatty sort, and seemed very happy to chat with learners. And the garden is magical too.

But as for seeing Steve Eaves and Lleuwen perform, and getting to meet Lleuwen: a curse on your good organisation and early arrival at the venue. :twisted: ( :wink: )

More seriously, Lleuwen is just fantastic. That jazz training enables her to put some power and a real range of emotion into her voice, and she seems to have a knack for good arrangements (and/or good collaborators). Her album Duw a ŵyr in particular is genius: traditional Welsh hymns in a jazz arrangement often reminiscent of Django Bates. You don't have to be religious to appreciate it!
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Postby JeanB » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Thanks Peter. :D

Yes I felt very fortunate to meet Lleuwen and to hear her and Steve Eaves perform. 9 Bach were excellent too and all 3 performances for £6!!! I expected Lleuwen to have a much bigger audience because of how talented she is but the hall filled up later in the evening for Steve. She wasn't mentioned on the posters so maybe it was an impromptu appearance. I am just waiting for Duw a Wyr to arrive in the post :smile: I think I have just about everything else she has done on my mp3. Just downloaded a few extra odd tracks I discovered on Amazon today including the most beautiful version of Myfanwy I have ever heard. Really I also have to thank hubby Jim for this particular experience. If it wasn't for his slightly obsessive nature and need to "allow for the unknown" for any events we go to I may never have met Lleuwen. Usually we are grumbling at him for all the waiting we then have to do, but not on this occasion!! :D
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby SJ » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:00 pm

JeanB wrote: Just downloaded a few extra odd tracks I discovered on Amazon today including the most beautiful version of Myfanwy I have ever heard. Really I also have to thank hubby Jim for this particular experience. If it wasn't for his slightly obsessive nature and need to "allow for the unknown" for any events we go to I may never have met Lleuwen. :D

Heading over to Amazon to have a look now.... Thanks Jean. Its amazing where wanting to learn a language can lead! :D
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby JeanB » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:37 pm

SJ wrote:
Heading over to Amazon to have a look now.... Thanks Jean. Its amazing where wanting to learn a language can lead! :D

I agree. That's the wonders of SSIW!! :wink:
JeanB
SSiW Member

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind