I survived to tell the tale!! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

I survived to tell the tale!!

Postby JeanB » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:42 am

I am returning to Pen Llŷn tomorrow for 2 weeks holiday with hubby and 2 sons. :dance: Friends and family have kindly sponsored me to speak Welsh with as many people as possible :faint: the proceeds going to our local cancer unit who were very supportive throughout my husband’s recovery from bowel cancer. I have already made £300 at an all day coffee morning/book/cake sale for Macmillan, which is where I put up posters advertising “Jean’s Big Welsh Challenge.” I’m very nervous about it but it will give me the hwb I need to use Welsh, knowing it is raising money for a good cause. I am going to ask people who I manage to have a reasonable conversation with to sign my form as evidence and will then give them a SSIW business card and sticker as a thank you! :D

Before I go I just wanted to check a couple of phrases that I am likely to want to use to explain myself. I don’t want people thinking I’m trying to get money from them! :smile: These are the 2 phrases I thought would be useful. Please could anyone advise if they are O.K. I wasn’t sure if ffurflen was the right “form” I need.

Roedd fy nheulu a ffrindiau wedi noddi i mi am siarad y Gymraeg efo gymaint o bobl a phosib.
Faswt ti’n arwyddo fy ffurflen os gwelwch yn dda?

Diolch yn fawr iawn.
Please feel free to correct my mistakes. Diolch!
JeanB
SSiW Member

Re: Is this how I say it?

Postby dinas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:47 am

What a great idea, Jean, and I'm sure your going to impress a lot of people during your stay....I would have understood both sentences as well. Gwych! :clap:
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby JeanB » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:33 am

Thank you Kim. Very kind; hope i pull it off!! :D
I am now also wondering if i should be saying "diolch am fy noddi fi" rather than "noddi i mi" :-?
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:38 am

I'd change them just ever so slightly to:

Mae fy ffrindiau a theulu wedi fy noddi i siarad Cymraeg efo cymaint o bobl â phosib

and

Fasech chi'n arwyddo fy ffurflen, os gwelwch yn dda?

or

Faset ti'n arwyddo fy ffurflen, os gweli di'n dda? if you're speaking to friends...:)

And here's a sound file for the three:

http://www.saysomethinginwelsh.com/jeanB.mp3
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Aran » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:39 am

JeanB wrote:"diolch am fy noddi fi"

Yes...:)

And as Kim says, it is an absolutely brilliant idea...:seren:
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby JeanB » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:45 am

Wow Aran, thank you so much. I was really touched by that. How did you do that soundfile so quickly!! :wow: Thank you very much to Catrin too!! That's fantastic.
Will look out for you on Pen Llŷn! I'm meeting up with Dave and Chris Morgan again in Nefyn. That's 2 signatures to start me off! :D

Will let you know how it goes when i get back with more grey hairs than I went with! :D
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:51 am

Croeso mawr...:D

We're off to babysit for my brother for a week from Sunday, so it might not match very well this time round - but if we are here when you're around, it would be lovely to see you...:)
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby shak » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:53 am

Brilliant idea and a great cause :D We'll sponsor you if you send us the details. Pob lwc i ti :D
Mae hynny'n wir, Louis, mae fy hobi'n llosgi bwriadol
shak
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:54 am

JeanB wrote: I am going to ask people who I manage to have a reasonable conversation with to sign my form as evidence ...

Definition of reasonable conversation? Where you say something in Welsh and they understand and answer, and you answer them as well.

Definition of an extraordinarily succesful conversation: Where you understand their answer, and answer something relevant, and possibly even continue beyond there.

This is a brilliant idea on your part. Jean, and I think you'll get a good reception on Pen Llŷn - best of luck, and I'm sure that after even one day of searching out conversations, you'll be absolutely exhausted, and a Welsh speaker! Do let us know how you got on.

All the best

Iestyn
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby SJ » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:34 pm

Pob lwc Jean!

Sounds like a great idea to raise money for a worthy cause and improve your Welsh at the same time. I'm sure after two weeks your confidence and ability to use your Welsh will have soared and speaking Welsh will feel completely natural. :clap:
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind