At last -- I did it !!!! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

At last -- I did it !!!!

Postby Colettet » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:03 pm

I have been in West Wales for a week now and have posted a few times i.e. "So daft", because I kept backing out trying my Welsh and the one time I did try -- I froze SO --- plenty of Welsh encounters of a nervous kind. But --- an update and --- I did it !!!!

I took the dogs to Mwnt this morning for a walk and went to the beach hut and – (in Welsh) asked the lady if she spoke Welsh; told her I was learning; asked for a coffee; and told her I wanted milk. She then started more of a conversation and I got lost so we reverted to English but I was chuffed.

I then went into Aberteifi and went into David Evans and Sons and treated myself to a Border Collie figurine – said diolch and the lady asked me (in Welsh) if I spoke Welsh. SO in Welsh --- I told her I was learning; she asked me why and I said (in Welsh would you believe it !!!) that I had a caravan in Glynarthen, came often and wanted to learn Welsh and ---- she understood :faint:

The onto Awen Teifi for a Welsh dictionary and managed (in Welsh) to say that I am learning Welsh (as I paid for the dictionary) and ---- diolch yn fawr . There was some conversation in between but I only understood a few words but I smiled and that seemed OK !!!! :lol:

I met Catrin in Aberteifi and was SOOOO delighted telling her that I forgot to say that I hope they have a good birthday celebration for her Mums 80th birthday so – if you read this Catrin – have a good time.

Yehhh Heyyyyy :dance:
Thanks to everyone for their help. Course 2 -- just started lesson 21
Colettet
SSiW Member

Location: Liverpool mainly but part of the year in Glynarthen

Re: At last -- I did it !!!!

Postby Tahl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:47 pm

Whoa -- once you start speaking Welsh in public, you don't stop, do you? Those are some pretty elaborate conversations, and your first time out of the barn, even. :D Great to read!
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Atomic Newt » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:48 pm

How fabulous! You didn't just have "a" conversation, you had THREE conversations!! Yay!! :star: It's only easier now! You'll be chatting away to everyone soon I'm sure!! Llongyfarchiadau!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Atomic Newt
SSiW Member

Postby gerryf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:10 pm

Llongyfarchiadau,congratulations :clap: you are now a welsh speaker :star: I knew you could do it. :D
gerryf
SSiW Member

Postby Sionned » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:26 pm

Now that's the way to do it!! Llongyfarchiadau!!! There will be no stopping you now. :D
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby Colettet » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks folks -- simple stuff but what a joy when I was understood :dance:
Thanks to everyone for their help. Course 2 -- just started lesson 21
Colettet
SSiW Member

Location: Liverpool mainly but part of the year in Glynarthen

Postby jstetson » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:05 pm

Colettet wrote:Thanks folks -- simple stuff but what a joy when I was understood :dance:

Simple shmimple! Di iawn ti!!! Brilliant. Having just posted a woohoo-go-me story of my own, I can't tell you how much it thrills me to hear such a great first time in the wild story. I'm sitting here knowing down the the marrow of my bones how great you feel. Basking in our shared delight!

:llongyf:
Feel free to correct my Welsh, os gwelwch yn dda.
Words are like children, they behave differently with their friends.
jstetson
SSiW Member

Postby SJ » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Llongyfarchiadau!!

I just knew you'd come back with a story like this! :D So glad to hear you've had such a great time using your Welsh! It sounds so simple, but the more you use your Welsh the quicker you will be able to use more and more of it!
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby JeanB » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Well done Colette...knew you would do it!! There's no stopping you now. Look forward to our next panad! :clap: :clap:
Please feel free to correct my mistakes. Diolch!
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby jonhead34 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Well done Colette - fantatsic story and well done for being brave. Each time gets a little easier!

Da iawn ti :-)
jonhead34

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind