Plas Coch, Y Bala | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Plas Coch, Y Bala

Postby Maynard » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:43 am

Hi I went into the plas coch pub last night. Thanks for the recommendation Peter. Had a good chat with the regualrs and the barman there and definately will be making it one of my regualr haunts, it's what I cal a proper Welsh pub.

skype ..maynard.archer - croeso i siarad !
Maynard
SSiW Member

Postby Stine » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:05 pm

If you want another recommendation for pubs near Y Bala, I can highly recommend the Eagles Inn/Tafarn Yr Eryod in Llanuwchllyn, just outside Y Bala. We've been there loads of times, and it has fantastic food, Welsh is spoken as a matter of course, and if you're really lucky, you get to hear the male voice choir break into song spontaneously in the car park (ok, that might have been because of the Eisteddfod but it was still fab).
Stine
SSiW Member

Postby Maynard » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:06 pm

cheers Stine, I'll give it a go. I have just got back from a great couple of days there. On the way I stopped off at Wrexham and went to the Saith Seren for the 7.30 conversation group which was very enjoyable. A good number of locals there.. nice to meet Corndolly ( think that's her handle) and loads of others. On the way home i stopped off in Corwen and Rhosllanerchrugog ( asked if I could look around the 'Stiwt' there , really impressed).

Maynard
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Maynard wrote:On the way home i stopped off in Corwen and Rhosllanerchrugog ( asked if I could look around the 'Stiwt' there , really impressed).

Do you know the song 'Gadael Rhos,' by Daniel Lloyd? I love it, and he directly mentions the 'Stiwt in the chorus.

. . . Mae'r olygfa mor ciwt o gyfeiriad y 'Stiwt
Tecach yw na'r lili dlos . . .
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Maynard » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:04 pm

thanks i enjoyed that song. i used to frequent Rhos quite a lot in my Liverpool days. I'd always gone to look at those chapels and at the Stiwt. i am from an ex coal mining community originally and so I suppose it reminded me of home. This time I got to speak in Welsh to some of the guys there.!

Maynard
SSiW Member

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Maynard wrote:Hi I went into the plas coch pub last night. Thanks for the recommendation Peter. Had a good chat with the regualrs and the barman there and definately will be making it one of my regualr haunts, it's what I cal a proper Welsh pub.

:cool: Glad you liked it!

Thanks for the Tafarn yr Eryrod recommendation, Stine - will keep that in mind!
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Postby Stine » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:15 pm

any time, guys - it's a lovely pub. Before we moved up here, we came up to Y Bala at least once a year, as my OH is a driver on the Railfordd Llyn Tegid, so nothing better than a visit to a good pub at the end of the day :lol:
Stine
SSiW Member

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind