Missed encounter!!! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Missed encounter!!!

Postby io » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:54 am

This is my first time posting in the SSIW forums. I live in Oakland, California, US, and today I was walking down the street to a cafe when a sports car pulled up to the gas station on my right. It was painted from nose to tail to look like a Welsh flag! I couldn't believe it! I thought to myself, I can't not say something! So, I ran up to the drivers and said, "I'm sorry, I have to tell you that I love your car!!" I had already crossed the street before I realized I should have (and could have!) said that sentence in Welsh! I'm up to lesson 12! I was so distressed at missing the opportunity to try my welsh here in Oakland that I just had to log on here and tell somebody.

Who knows if there will be a next time out here, but hopefully I'll be more focused next time!

By the way, does anyone know of any meet ups in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Thanks for letting me share!
io. :dafad:
io

Re: Missed encounter!!!

Postby Dee » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:26 am

Were they Welsh? Were they surprised? :lol:

But I can imagine how you felt. I had to resist the temptation to wave and grin like an idiot every time I drove past a car when I lived in Australia and it had a Welsh bumper sticker!

I don't know of any meet-ups in the SF area yet, but if you click on the Map link in the menu bar you can see if there is anyone else nearby who has indicated their location and you could try sending them a PM to suggest arranging something.

The other way to start out is by using Skype. There is a thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=174&p=80544 where people post if they are looking for someone to practise with. There are quite a few SSiWers in the US, so you could have a good chance of finding someone in your time zone there.

Pob lwc with your Welsh, and keep feeling excited :dance:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Aran » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:26 am

Great first post! And a warm welcome to the forum, io...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby io » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:44 pm

dee: diolch yn fawr! i will definitely check out the skype pairings when i get a few more lessons under my belt! i tried using the SSiW maps to find someone in my area, there was one under the name johannamead but i couldn't find this person in the member directory. but maybe i'm doing it wrong?

aran: diolch!! braf cwrdd a chi!
io

Postby Sionned » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi, io :D

If you go to the member directory and click on the words "Find a member" (to the left of the alphabet string) it will bring up a whole lot of options you can use to find someone. Just copy the name you have into the "Username" box and then hit "Search" (down below, not up above) and it will bring that person up. I just tried it with the one you have, and it worked, so it should work for you, too!
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby io » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:34 pm

annwyl sionned,

dw i'n gweld 'o nawr! (i see it now? i'm not sure how to spell "it".) diolch yn fawr!

hope you are well!
io.
io

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind