Fish & Chips at Criccieth – Highly Recommended! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Fish & Chips at Criccieth – Highly Recommended!

Postby AndyL » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:23 am

Just got back from a great weekend in North Wales, staying in the Porthmadog area. I decided that I must try and use my welsh, wherever possible, in shops and cafes. The highlight of this was when we went into the ‘café’ part of the fish & chip shop in Criccieth. My family couldn’t fit onto one table, so I asked a retired couple if I could sit with them. Once I got going with ‘o le ywt in dod’ their response was so encouraging, I felt able to try out loads of the words/ sentences that I’ve been learning over the last 18 months. When they finally came to leave, the couple wished me all the best and the man actually patted me on the back! Almost like I was an old friend!

As soon as they had gone, a lady and her young daughter asked if they could sit at my table - whilst they were waiting for their order, the little girl looked longingly at my bread and butter – my cue for ‘yw ti eisiau bara?’ The offer was accepted and another very friendly conversation started.

I vaguely remember, as a child on holiday, my family avoiding cafes ‘full of locals’, and yet here I am years later, where the same places are now places where my few words of welsh are greeted with encouragement and acceptance. I now look forward to further meals and conversations at places like this. The fish and chips are excellent too!

A big ‘diolch’ to all at SSIW for all the lessons that made my experience possible
AndyL
Now on lessons 3 to 4, Course 3, Gog
AndyL
SSiW Member

Re: Fish & Chips at Criccieth – Highly Recommended!

Postby sumsmeister » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:47 am

Andy that's a lovely anecdote - thanks for sharing it! What was the name of the Fish and Chip shop?
Pob lwc with the rest of the course, because now you have taken a fantastic step forward in actually becoming a Welsh speaker - I'm not sure you can call yourself a learner now!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby Aran » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:52 am

AndyL wrote:I vaguely remember, as a child on holiday, my family avoiding cafes ‘full of locals’, and yet here I am years later, where the same places are now places where my few words of welsh are greeted with encouragement and acceptance.

What a fantastic story - many, many congratulations to you for changing a pattern of not engaging into a pattern of becoming part of the community...:star:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby jashwntw » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:10 am

I think the best chip shop in Wales used to be the one in Conwy around the corner from the smallest house in Britain. It's propbably been knocked off the top spot by now that was some years ago :-?
All corrections of my grammar are welcome. So please feel free.
I'm not good enough to correct your grammar I'm affraid so any post relating to grammar I write is only something I feel I've heard or noticed but has no baring on how you should use Welsh.

That's my little disclaimer done. I'm really looking forward to your contributions :)
jashwntw
SSiW Member

Postby AndyL » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words! I can't remember the name of the chip shop, but it's located on the road from the beach up past the castle. It's opposite Cadwalader's Ice Cream shop if that's any help.

It must be very good, because the couple I was talking to had come from near Llanberis to Criccieth to enjoy the cuisine! I will definitely go back there soon! :D
AndyL
SSiW Member

Postby Flo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:34 pm

That's a lovely story, Andrew. :star:

Very encouraging for those of us, like me, who have yet to try their Welsh 'in the wild'. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Most useful sentence so far: 'Dw i ddim wedi deall yr un gair ti wedi dweud'.
Favourite sentence so far: Wnes i ddisgyn i lawr ym mis Ionawr (lovely alliteration)
Currently doing Northern Course 2, vocab lesson 6
Flo
SSiW Member

Postby RobertBruce » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:41 pm

AndyL wrote:It's opposite Cadwalader's Ice Cream shop if that's any help.

This one?

View Larger Map
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby AndyL » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks for your kind words Flo - perhaps you could make your welsh speaking debut in this place!

Robert - that's the place! Castle Fish & Chips- Just seeing it again makes my mouth water!
AndyL
SSiW Member

Postby JeanB » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:30 pm

Well done Andy, a great story. This is our favourite chippy cafe when we visit Pen Llŷn. We often finish off in Cadwaladers with an icecream too! :smile: It's well worth our 20 minute drive to get there. We have heard a lot of locals travel some distance to get their chips from there. We have seen enormous queues outside in the summer. You have been much braver than me. I have only managed a couple of diolchs so far here but have overheard some interesting bits especially from children e.g. asking for saws coch or sglodion. Have to wait until August for my next fix :sad: ... but you have inspired me to be braver next time. :smile:
Please feel free to correct my mistakes. Diolch!
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby AndyL » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:27 pm

I remember being in the long queue last year, whilst getting a take away. I think that it will be the cafe part for me from now on..Whilst there this time, I was given one or two vocab tips. e.g. halen = salt. Funnily enough, driving out of Criccieth after the meal, I saw one of those yellow plastic bins beside the road with 'Halen' on it. I never noticed that before!
AndyL
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind