Adventures in the North | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Adventures in the North

Postby Stine » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:34 pm

well, you're all very kind - still blushing here! I think also what surprised me was how much I'm enjoying speaking Welsh (even my limited version of it), so hopefully onwards and upwards as I carry on with the course.

And a very useful tip, that Kim is a bloke and not a gurl......thanks for that :D
Stine
SSiW Member

Postby Maynard » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:32 pm

It's really fantastic what SsIw is doing. Stine you will be admired by all your neighbours, there can be nothing more uplifting for them than having someone move in who can speak the language and prepared to use it. It would be marvellous if you could do an article for the local paper (papur Bro) and tell them about Ssiw. :cariad:

skype ..maynard.archer - croeso i siarad !
Maynard
SSiW Member

Postby Stine » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:27 pm

Maynard, I'd be happy to, assuming they'd be interested of course! And you're right, both my neighbour and the butcher told me this week that they thought I'd been practising :oops:
Stine
SSiW Member

Postby Chrissiebug » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Hiya Stine!

Just want to say a) Croeso i Gwynedd, and b) Da Iawn on your steps in using the language! I have been learning for 2 years now and don't feel I've got close to the confidence and "gusto" that you're showing in getting out there and using the language!

I go to the Halfway most Thursdays for the pub quiz there and noticed the sign for the learners group on a Wednesday so I'm sure I will see you there this week for a chat and to be inspired by your progress so soon into your learning journey!

Da iawn!
Chrissiebug

Postby Chrissiebug » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:40 pm

dinas wrote:Nora would know me as, Kim. Most people in the, Halfway, will know me. Especially, those stood at the bar and the barman, Meic....

And Meic is always willing to let you practice your Welsh on him I've found!
Chrissiebug

Postby Gwyndaf-Christina » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Justine, where are you? We're over in Penygroes. There's a few of us in the area, we should try to get together some time. Right now, there's a learner's chat every month in y crochan blasus (a cafe in the village). I don't know when the next one is, but I can try to find out. Either way, let's get together some time for a chat!
Gwyndaf-Christina

Postby dinas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Gwyndaf-Christina wrote:Justine, where are you? We're over in Penygroes. There's a few of us in the area, we should try to get together some time. Right now, there's a learner's chat every month in y crochan blasus (a cafe in the village). I don't know when the next one is, but I can try to find out. Either way, let's get together some time for a chat!

The cafe group meets, last Friday of the month. Check, but I think it starts around 09:45
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby dinas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Chrissiebug wrote:
dinas wrote:Nora would know me as, Kim. Most people in the, Halfway, will know me. Especially, those stood at the bar and the barman, Meic....

And Meic is always willing to let you practice your Welsh on him I've found!

Yeah, Meic's, a good lad. Also, if your at the quiz nights I must have seen you. I usually have a few words with, Harry, the quiz master, and take part. Anyway, I should be there in a few weeks so our paths will hopefully cross.

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby Stine » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:10 pm

blimey, mentioned in the SSiW email! Coo um er gosh (again) :oops:

thanks for the welcome to Gwynedd, Chrissie. I'm going to pop into the Halfway tonight (subject to Andy Murray) so it would be great to see you. I managed to ask Meic (must have been hi) last time 'oes gen ti Clwb Dysgu?'* which was how I found Nora so do come along. I dunno about confidence & gusto - I just didn't want to be another English person who moves to a Welsh-speaking area and not bother to try and join in. Otherwise I would have felt like one of those Fast Show characters 'Hellair, we're Cockneys'. And what's the worst that can happen if you have a go at Welsh and no one understands you? You just look like a birrovanar$e, no one dies, you know? And actually people have been more than kind in encouragement. Anyway, if the pub quiz is in Welsh you're miles ahead of me!

G-C - I'm in Penygroes itself too, so would be delighted to have a cuppa. Drop me an email! I will probably go to the next cafe session at the end of July. I wasn't able to go at the end of June as I had to go to Bangor station to drop Mr Stine off, so again, probably see you there. I'd be happy to meet others from nearby, too.

*don't forget though, the first rule of Clwb Dsygu is you don't talk about Clwb Dysgu..... :wink:
Stine
SSiW Member

Postby dinas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:15 am

All being well, I'll be the, Halfway, tomorrow, Thursday and Friday night.

dinas
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind