Success story! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Success story!

Postby Spenny » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:08 am

ianto wrote:Despite me being quite pleased with your own progress it has disheartened me slightly to hear that the other traditional courses hasn't got their students at a stage past present tense verbs and possession after a whole year and there you were with the present, the future and the past (the three: did, was and have). Maybe the classes should look at other methods to help get people with a good grounding on grammar like by using SSiW and then teaching additional vocab in their own classes?

Learning a language is a time commitment, and classroom based learning simply cannot cover the ground that SSiW can do. I'm certain that the ideal combination is a class that uses SSiW to get learners doing constructive and effective homework and then using the classroom for conversation practice and background on the language, plus a few nudges to keep people on course.
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Postby RobertBruce » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:56 am

My first year of traditional classes a few years ago certainly covered past tense and possession. I suspect that the students encountered by Karen should have, and probably had covered this, it's just that traditional classes are really not that good at re-enforcing the material covered, especially since the past tense will have been introduced quite late in the academic year. In addition, if they had been learning in the south, they may not have encountered mae gen i at all.

Well done Karen - it must be really good to get some solid proof of the progress you're making! :star:
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby SJ » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Brilliant story Karen!

It has taken a while for the tutors and centres working using the traditional classroom based structure to realise that SSIW not enables people to learn welsh from scratch, but also accelerates the learning process for people learning in a classroom environment too.

I hope you're story inspires other SSiWers who would like to attend a residential/traditional course to have a go!
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby karenwburdette » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:10 pm

Diolch yn fawr,Jean! (I keep looking for the "Like" button.) ;)

JeanB wrote:That's a brilliant story Karen. Thank you for sharing it and congratulations on your achievement! Your ancestors would be very proud of you!

:dawnsio:
karenwburdette
SSiW Member

Postby karenwburdette » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Diolch yn fawr, Robert!

RobertBruce wrote:My first year of traditional classes a few years ago certainly covered past tense and possession. I suspect that the students encountered by Karen should have, and probably had covered this, it's just that traditional classes are really not that good at re-enforcing the material covered, especially since the past tense will have been introduced quite late in the academic year. In addition, if they had been learning in the south, they may not have encountered mae gen i at all.

Well done Karen - it must be really good to get some solid proof of the progress you're making! :star:
karenwburdette
SSiW Member

Postby karenwburdette » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:15 pm

Diolch yn fawr, Tahl, especially for the info on Radio Cymru! I'll try to download some of theose podcasts so I can listen when I get back home.

Re moving my post: Sure, I don't mid at all. Just wasn't sure where to put it.

:D

Tahl wrote:Wow! Croeso nôl to the fforwm, Karen, and what a return! Great story. You must have been over the moon. :D It is really, really interesting to hear how a 'pure SSiWer' fit in classes structured around people who've been learning through other methods.

I'd noticed you hadn't posted recently and wondered if you were continuing with Welsh. Silly me. :oops: Looking forward to hearing more about Nant Gwrtheyrn sometime when your feet are back on the ground.

By the way, you *can* get Radio Cymru online here. About the only thing we can't listen to is the weekend-afternoon rugby or football coverage. There's also Pigion, an edited-for-learners Radio Cymru podcast with vocab sheet; you can download it (including through iTunes) or listen online.
- Radio Cymru: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiocymru/safle/rhaglenni/ (hit green speaker icon to listen live)
- Thread with more info on Pigion: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3552&p=39242

ALSO -- You've posted this thread in The Lounge, which is visible only to SSiW Members. I think it would interest/excite lots of other people doing Course 1 who aren't Members yet. Do you mind if I or one of the other Moderators move it to one of the more visible areas, like Monthly Progress Reports, so everyone can read it?
karenwburdette
SSiW Member

Postby karenwburdette » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:17 pm

Diolch yn fawr, DJ! :smile:
SJ wrote:Brilliant story Karen!

It has taken a while for the tutors and centres working using the traditional classroom based structure to realise that SSIW not enables people to learn welsh from scratch, but also accelerates the learning process for people learning in a classroom environment too.

I hope you're story inspires other SSiWers who would like to attend a residential/traditional course to have a go!
karenwburdette
SSiW Member

Postby karenwburdette » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Diolch yn fawr, Louise!

:smile:
louise2cv wrote:Fabulous story!

I'm spoilt by being surrounded by Welsh speakers and having the ability to have Welsh TV and radio on when ever I want it, I'm always amazed at how people who live away from Wales or even strongly "Welsh" areas can be so brave and throw themselves in to conversation and courses like that.

You're an inspiration!
karenwburdette
SSiW Member

Postby karenwburdette » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Diolch yn fawr, Dee! :smile:
Dee wrote::llongyf: That is a really inspiring story, Karen. I hope you don't mind if I share it in the newsletter. People often wonder how they would go at a more traditional course if they just learn with SSiW, and I think you've given everyone the perfect answer!
karenwburdette
SSiW Member

Postby karenwburdette » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Haha! :D I'm looking for the "Like" button!

Lurch2 wrote:"SO... I just thought [........]other SSIW learners would like hearing this great success story."
Oh yes!

And on your "Oh my God, one year! Time to pack up and go home" comment, as you probably realise by now, time spent on SSiW is like dog years. Every month on SSiW is worth at least a year of Human learning.
karenwburdette
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind