Meeting Sarah Waters | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Meeting Sarah Waters

Postby esgyrn » Mon May 21, 2012 5:23 pm

I don't know how many of you will be familiar with Welsh author Sarah Waters' novels; those of you who are more than likely reside in the U.K.! A few years ago she was in my neck of the woods for a book signing, and when my turn came to get my books signed I chatted with her a bit about how I'd love it if she decided to have her next book set in the 1920's (as she had mentioned thinking about in the interview beforehand). She was very pleased about the feedback, and as she was signing my books I asked her "Dych chi'n siarad Cymraeg?" My friend gave me a huge thumbs up and Sarah looked genuinely surprised and she took a moment to say "uh...tipyn bach! How do you KNOW that?!" I gave her a brief rundown of how I came to learn a bit of Welsh and she loved it. She said, "That's amazing! I tried to learn it when I was still living in Wales, but it never stuck. It's a bit sad, really."

Recently I read that her next novel is in fact going to be set in the 1920's, so I emailed her about how excited I was and mentioned that I was the girl from Portland who spoke Welsh to her, if she remembered. She responded in less than a week and said she remembered me! :) Anyway, there's my fun little anecdote.
esgyrn

Re: Meeting Sarah Waters

Postby longdehua » Mon May 21, 2012 5:35 pm

esgyrn wrote:She said, "That's amazing! I tried to learn it when I was still living in Wales, but it never stuck. It's a bit sad, really."

Hmmm ... send an SSiW plug her way? Be pretty cool if we got Sarah Waters on the fforwm!

Tipio'r Felfed?
Please feel obliged to correct my Welsh ;-)
longdehua
SSiW Member

Postby Morgs » Mon May 21, 2012 6:36 pm

Sarah Waters is on my list with Hilary Mantel and George Orwell as having written some of the most 'glued to your seat, stay up all night to finish it, don't want to start any other book after you've finished it cos it won't be as good' type of authors. Awesome!
Morgs
SSiW Member

Postby esgyrn » Wed May 23, 2012 2:56 am

longdehua wrote:
esgyrn wrote:She said, "That's amazing! I tried to learn it when I was still living in Wales, but it never stuck. It's a bit sad, really."

Hmmm ... send an SSiW plug her way? Be pretty cool if we got Sarah Waters on the fforwm!

Tipio'r Felfed?

I might actually suggest that when I see her next! I'd prefer to talk to her about it in person, of course, but if I find out she's not doing a book tour, or not coming to my city, then I'll just email her about it. :) I don't know if she'd have the time (or interest, anymore), but it's a cool idea!

Tipio'r Felfed!! :cariad:
esgyrn

Postby esgyrn » Wed May 23, 2012 2:57 am

Morgs wrote:Sarah Waters is on my list with Hilary Mantel and George Orwell as having written some of the most 'glued to your seat, stay up all night to finish it, don't want to start any other book after you've finished it cos it won't be as good' type of authors. Awesome!

I totally agree with you! I haven't read any Hilary Mantel, but George Orwell is another favorite of mine. :)
esgyrn

Postby Morgs » Wed May 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall - best book I've ever read in my whole life ever!!
Morgs
SSiW Member

Postby esgyrn » Thu May 24, 2012 2:36 am

Morgs wrote:Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall - best book I've ever read in my whole life ever!!

Wow! I'll put it on my list!
esgyrn

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind