"Llyncu Mul" really does work! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: "Llyncu Mul" really does work!

Postby Dee » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:21 pm

What a joy to read of your experiences! Thank you so much for sharing that with us. You are an inspiration! :seren: And I have to admit (look away now Iestyn) - I'm rather fond of "Bechod" as an expression. It's not too Gogish is it? :wink:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby jstetson » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Dee wrote:What a joy to read of your experiences! Thank you so much for sharing that with us. You are an inspiration! :seren: And I have to admit (look away now Iestyn) - I'm rather fond of "Bechod" as an expression. It's not too Gogish is it? :wink:

Given 'bechod' Google translate comes up with 'sin'. :shock:

But then, it translates chwant as 'lust', so what does it know. :D
Feel free to correct my Welsh, os gwelwch yn dda.
Words are like children, they behave differently with their friends.
jstetson
SSiW Member

Postby JeanB » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Brilliant Alison! It was great to read the full version of your story after hearing a little bit about it in your message to me. Very inspiring! Bechod is one of our favourite sayings too. It was the first saying my youngest son was taught by his Welsh holiday friend when he missed scoring a goal! The next 2 were " cau dy geg" and "ti'n mynd llawr"!! They are very good friends!!

Llongifarchiadau!
:seren:
Please feel free to correct my mistakes. Diolch!
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby Gruntius » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks for that story Alison, very inspirational for someone still struggling in course one. Every time I read a story like this it spurs me on a little further.

'Failure is not an option' :cool:
Doing the Gog thingy.

"The_drummist" on Skype if you fancy a chat.

A little bit of my past life ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEhh2dCQYg
Gruntius
SSiW Member

Postby lambiek » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:14 am

That is a wonderful story Alison, I really enjoyed reading it, it made look forward to coming over to Wales in July even more. When Wendy forces me to accompany her into some little shop in a little village somewhere, I now have an inspiration to strike up a conversation in Welsh!
Mae syniadau gwyrddion di-liw yn cysgu'n wyllt
lambiek
SSiW Member

Postby vgh50 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:21 am

Wow!! Alison!! :seren:

Experiences like yours change peoples lives. You have achieved so much in such a short time you must be so proud. :D

You story has inspired so many, from everyone here on the forum, possibly best summed up with:

Gruntius wrote:Thanks for that story Alison, very inspirational for someone still struggling in course one. Every time I read a story like this it spurs me on a little further.

'Failure is not an option' :cool:

And you've touched the lives of everyone that you met on your travels. You've single handedly given the Welsh language a massive boost!! The people of Nantmor and probably all of North Wales will be speaking of the 'Welsh speaking lady who came to visit them from England' for years to come!!

You are amazing!! Llongyfarchiadau!! :llongyf:
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby royaberarth » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:14 am

Wonderful - reading that makes the effort worthwhile - I hope Dee refers to it in her next newsletter - every SSiWer should read it.
royaberarth
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:41 am

Hollol wych...:star:

Llongyfarchiadau mawr, a diolch o galon. Dw i wrth fy modd i ti fwynhau dy wyliau, a dw i'n gobeithio'n fawr iawn byddwn ni'n medru dy weld di eto tro nesaf i ti fod yng Nghymru fach...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby my_cat_silky » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Diolch o galon to everyone for your very kind responses which brought a tear to my eye! (and made me want to return to Wales ASAP!) It was very kind (and patient!) of you to take the time to read through my long screed and I can only say again that none of my wonderful experiences in Wales would have been possible without SSiW and the wonderful help and support offered by this forum! I've never really been one for joining forums generally, but this forum is totally addictive, believe me! :D

Diane - you're lucky it wasn't longer! :wink: You have been a great source of inspiration and practical help as well ever since I joined SSiW!

Iestyn - I feel very humbled by your kind words, as well as proud to be able to make even the teeniest contribution to keeping your beautiful language alive!

Peter - Welsh in the Wild: from learners to speakers - What an excellent title for a follow-up book! "Unsuspecting Wales" - here we come - in droves! :D

Mark - Thank you so much, I'm glad it made you smile! :smile:

Dee - You are an inspiration as well, and we have all benefited from your cheerful, uplifting posts! Yes, I hadn't thought that it was possible to "borrow" each other's (North and South) expressions in this way! :wink:

Jan - I liked your Google translations of "bechod" and "chwant"! (The latter's a new one for me! :wink: )

Jean - I have to admit that it was reading your story yesterday morning that gave me the inspiration to write mine! So thank you so much again for your brilliant account and I hope you have many more wonderful holidays in Wales! So glad your son and his Welsh-speaking holiday friend have remained friends after such a pitched battle, and that your son was able to pick up some handy Welsh in the process! :smile:

Grunt - That really made my day, knowing that my experiences have encouraged you. Thank you for reminding that "failure is not an option" as well - something I have pretty well struggled with all my life! :mad:

Louis - Thank you for your kind words - it will be wonderful when you and Wendy come over in July, and I know you are bound to have many enjoyable experiences in little Welsh shops - they are wonderful!

Vaughan - Every time you contribute to the forum with one of your positive, friendly posts, I feel so encouraged! It has been wonderful to learn of the amazing progress you have made and how it has impressed and moved so many people here! You deserve to do brilliantly in Dysgwr o Fflwyddyn! As for the people in Nantmor, I just hope they don't get fed up with us coming every year! :wink: But it is lovely getting to know them - one lady who owns a farmlet near where we stay lost one of her horses not long before we arrived, and as we had become well-acquainted with this horse on our previous holidays, it was sad for us to learn of its demise, but nice to be able to commiserate (in Welsh!) with her about it! (She has had a bad year for losing animals, including a ram (maharen), a greyhound (milgi) and a rabbit (cwningen) - all new words for me! - the cwningen dying the day before we arrived! :cry: )

Roy - Thank you for your very kind words!

Aran - Fel arfer, llawer o ddiolch! Byddwn ni'n dod i eich gweld chi tro nesa, yn bendant! (Dal i feddwl am y cwrw 'na - paid â anghofio! :wink: )
my_cat_silky
SSiW Member

Postby vgh50 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Diolch o galon Alison, ti'n seren :star:
vgh50
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind