Staying in Llithfaen on the 6th! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Staying in Llithfaen on the 6th!

Postby Aran » Thu May 10, 2012 11:17 am

RedGreenInBlue wrote:ac oedd hi'n edrych ar safleodd gwerthwyr tai lleol ar ei ffôn!

:D

Unrhyw esgus i ddianc rhag y llwch, ia?...:wink:

Roedd yn braf iawn gweld chi ddau - a diolch yn fawr am fod yn amyneddgar wrth i ni dreulio cymaint o amser yn rhedeg ar ôl y plant a gwrando ar y sgwrs tra'n edrych i gyfeiriad arall!...:)

A diolch hefyd am dy hanes yma - dwi'n siwr y bydd yn ysbrydoli llawer o bobl eraill...:star:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Tahl » Thu May 10, 2012 11:47 am

Aran wrote:A diolch hefyd am dy hanes yma - dwi'n siwr y bydd yn ysbrydoli llawer o bobl eraill...:star:

Ydy, mae e. :star:

You must have been over the moon with the 'are you a native speaker?' question. :cool:

Did the visit to the Nant leave you any more inclined / less inclined to go on a course there sometime? Just curious.

Maybe one partial solution for the small-group language issue, in settings like meals and coffee and the like, is making a point sometimes of breaking into two-person conversations (one in English, one in Welsh). That way no one gets left out. Of course, you need at least four people to pull that off!
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby my_cat_silky » Thu May 10, 2012 3:19 pm

I was looking forward to hearing an account of your weekend away in Pen Llŷn, Peter, and I wasn't disappointed! :D A fascinating read, bursting at the seams with interesting encounters and many memory-making moments!

RedGreenInBlue wrote:
However you don't realise how important it is until you yourself have been the source of that surprise and delight. And once you do, the search for more people to surprise can become a bit addictive! :smile:

Dw i'n cytuno yn llwyr, Peter! And the brilliant news is that, unlike other addictions, it's actually good for you! :wink: So, long may you continue to surprise and delight your fellow Welsh speakers, as well as carry on being an inspiration for us here on the forum! :D
my_cat_silky
SSiW Member

Postby JeanB » Thu May 10, 2012 5:50 pm

That was really interesting and inspiring Peter. Thank you for sharing it. It was especially interesting for me as Pen Llŷn is like our second home so I was picturing all of the wonderful places you mentioned as I read your story. I know what you mean when you say:

Maybe I'm learning a little about the meaning of hiraeth…

I love my home, but there is something magical about Pen Llŷn that leaves me longing to return.I think the beauty of this unspoilt area is incredible but I believe it is the addition of the warmth of the Welsh people that make it so special.Your account was triggering some of that hiraeth in me... just over 3 weeks to go to my next fix!! :D

and if this is not a testament to the SSiW method, I don't know what is - was her asking me whether I'd learned as an adult or whether it was my first language!!

That's brilliant!!! Yes this is a testament to SSIW which is brilliant but it is also testament to your commitment and hard work. You have helped me several times on here and I ( and I'm sure lots of others) really appreciate you sharing your knowledge of this wonderful language. Diolch yn fawr iawn. :D
Please feel free to correct my mistakes. Diolch!
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby vgh50 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:00 pm

What a superb story!! :star:

You're a true inspiration Peter!! See you Saturday :D
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Thu May 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Aran wrote:Unrhyw esgus i ddianc rhag y llwch, ia?...:wink:

Wyddost ti ddim? Oherwydd y llwch yn unig y penderfynais i gystadlu mewn DyF, er mwyn cael mynd i ffwrdd am y penwythnos :lol:
Roedd yn braf iawn gweld chi ddau - a diolch yn fawr am fod yn amyneddgar wrth i ni dreulio cymaint o amser yn rhedeg ar ôl y plant a gwrando ar y sgwrs tra'n edrych i gyfeiriad arall!...

Dim problem o gwbl :smile: - dylai plant gael eu gweld ac eu clywed :smile:
Tahl wrote:Did the visit to the Nant leave you any more inclined / less inclined to go on a course there sometime? Just curious.

Well, I'd say a little more inclined. Reasons? The surroundings of course are pretty conducive to study, and the accommodation is excellent quality (though there was an absurd number of light switches: we amused ourselves for about fifteen minutes just trying to deduce how they were wired up… but that's a different story ). But the main reason is that now, having reached SSiW Course 3, I feel I'm more ready to branch out: maybe the "Spring in Wales" themed course or start learning a bit about literary Welsh - the sort of thing which SSiW doesn't offer. And I'm much more confident that I would be happy spending £450 or so on a five day course, because I can fairly say now that Welsh isn't just a passing interest for me. Having said that, I feel that those courses are more of a luxury than anything else.

…You're thinking "less", aren't you? :razz:
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Thu May 10, 2012 8:12 pm

RedGreenInBlue wrote:
Tahl wrote:Did the visit to the Nant leave you any more inclined / less inclined to go on a course there sometime? Just curious.

Well, I'd say a little more inclined. Reasons? The surroundings of course are pretty conducive to study, and the accommodation is excellent quality (though there was an absurd number of light switches: we amused ourselves for about fifteen minutes just trying to deduce how they were wired up… but that's a different story ). But the main reason is that now, having reached SSiW Course 3, I feel I'm more ready to branch out: maybe the "Spring in Wales" themed course or start learning a bit about literary Welsh - the sort of thing which SSiW doesn't offer. And I'm much more confident that I would be happy spending £450 or so on a five day course, because I can fairly say now that Welsh isn't just a passing interest for me. Having said that, I feel that those courses are more of a luxury than anything else.

…You're thinking "less", aren't you? :razz:

Not at all! I was curious b/c I've never been there. The specialized courses look interesting; I wonder if they get enough enrollment to be consistently offered?
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Thu May 10, 2012 8:13 pm

my_cat_silky wrote:So, long may you continue to surprise and delight your fellow Welsh speakers, as well as carry on being an inspiration for us here on the forum! :D

Ah, diolch yn fawr, Alison! Ti'n rhy caredig :oops: However, given that in most areas of life I usually succeed in baffling others and confusing myself, I'm certainly not going to stop frequenting the forum where people call me nice things like that!! :D
JeanB wrote:there is something magical about Pen Llŷn that leaves me longing to return

It is quite strange - I have clearer memories of places in Pen Llŷn, than I have of pretty much every other place I've visited.

And if I've been able to help on occasion, wel, croeso mawr! :smile: I've had such good help on here myself that it's only fair to return the favour when possible…
vgh50 wrote:… See you Saturday :D

Edrych ymlaen yn wir at hynny! :D
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Thu May 10, 2012 8:17 pm

Tahl wrote:Not at all! I was curious b/c I've never been there.

Oh! I was assuming you had been there at least twice! That'll teach me to presume (well, unfortunately, it probably won't :oops: :wink: )
The specialized courses look interesting; I wonder if they get enough enrollment to be consistently offered?

Well, you'd think so - the Nant is well-known and advertises quite widely - but I don't know. I've not seen any cancellation notices on the website on the few occasions I've looked at it. They appeal to me, anyway - better start saving up… :D
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind