Staying in Llithfaen on the 6th! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Staying in Llithfaen on the 6th!

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:58 pm

I've been trying to find two consecutive days when my wife was definitely not working (not easy!) so that I could drag her off to Pen Llŷn again, and claim my free pint at Tafarn y Fic in Llithfaen :cool: before they forget their kind offer. However, the only time my wife had free was the upcoming Bank Holiday, and the only B&B nearby not already full was at Nant Gwrtheyrn… which their website says is only available for groups. :(

But I've been wondering for a while which of the standard courses I'd be suited to, and the Nant suggests that you talk to one of their tutors before booking if you haven't followed the usual pathway. So I thought I'd phone up and do just that - and then tell my sob story about needing a place to kip within staggering distance of Llithfaen, and find out how bendable their groups-only rule was! :D

Well, after a nervous moment staring at the phone, I dived in, and I've just finished chatting with a very nice tutor. She ran through a load of basic structures (and SSiW has covered all of them except dw i am wneud rhywbeth) and asked me how I'd learned. I plugged SSiW (of course!), briefly explained my pressing reason :wink: to be in Llithfaen, and asked if I might be able to stay at the Nant for a night although I wasn't part of a group. I was put on hold for a while, then transferred back to the receptionist, and diolch byth, they had rooms available!

Anyway, the take-home messages are: (a) the people at Nant Gwrtheyrn are very friendly, (b) SSiW is officially awesome, and most importantly, (c) assuming my wife doesn't get leant on to do an extra shift at the last minute, we will be staying in the B&B at Nant Gwrtheyrn on Sunday 6th May, and dropping into Tafarn y Fic that afternoon! I see Gai Toms is performing - anyone feel like meeting up there?
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Re: Staying in Llithfaen on the 6th!

Postby SJ » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Sounds like you're going to have a lovely Welsh weekend! Perfect trip to relax (and practice for DyF! :wink: )
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby vgh50 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:55 pm

Looks like you're going to have a fantastic Bank Holiday weekend, Peter! Joio!! :D
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:24 pm

I hope it will be a lovely weekend! Those Radio Cymru weather forecasts don't sound very pleasant at the moment :shock: - definitely a reason to stay indoors in the pub! :D
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Postby my_cat_silky » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:43 pm

And another excuse to practise more Welsh, Peter! :wink:
By the way, how exactly does "Dw i am wneud rhywbeth" translate, out of interest?
my_cat_silky
SSiW Member

Postby Morgs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:56 pm

My brother told me that 'am' is a way of saying 'want' or that you are 'for' doing something. i.e. Dwi am mynd (I'm for going). Not sure if I am right tho
Morgs
SSiW Member

Postby my_cat_silky » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Thanks, Claire - that sounds like another very useful expression to add to my growing collection! :D
my_cat_silky
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:16 am

Morgs wrote:My brother told me that 'am' is a way of saying 'want' or that you are 'for' doing something. i.e. Dwi am mynd (I'm for going). Not sure if I am right tho

Spot on...:) Pretty much interchangeable with eisiau/isio - but worth noting that it causes a softening...:)

Peter, that sounds like a lot of fun...:) What day are you going back? We'll be coming back from Borth on the Sunday, so the Fic might unfortunately be a step too far, but it would be lovely to see you...
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:11 am

Aran wrote:Peter, that sounds like a lot of fun...:) What day are you going back? We'll be coming back from Borth on the Sunday, so the Fic might unfortunately be a step too far, but it would be lovely to see you...

Well, it now sounds as if we've the Tuesday off too (hwrê!), so we'll probably be heading back sometime Tuesday afternoon/evening. That's also good to give Rachael ('ngwraig i) more time doing stuff she wants to do rather than hang around getting bored while I'm in Welsh mode, which I am a bit worried about. She looked a bit panicked when I said we were staying at the Nant! :D
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:46 am

Peint/panad/pryd o fwyd yn Llanbedrog ar y dydd Llun, amser cinio?
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind