Harping on in Welsh | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Harping on in Welsh

Postby tehuti » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:47 pm

I started learning the harp last December. I'm incredibly lucky because Meinir Heulyn agreed to teach me, even though I am an untalented elderly beginner.

Meinir is a native Welsh speaker, originally from Ceredigion.

Well, today, still high from the April Bootcamp experience, I dared to request to have my harp lesson in Welsh with her, for the first time ever.

I'm still alive :wow:

Meinir is a strict teacher, very hot on technique and while being a lovely and kind lady, does not hand out praise on a plate all the time. Today was my first lesson for 3 weeks due to holidays and I was terrified I'd lost a lot of technique.

Hearing her say "ardderchog" was extra special, all the more so, because she said it in Welsh :D
tehuti
 

Re: Harping on in Welsh

Postby SJ » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:01 pm

tehuti wrote:I started learning the harp last December. I'm incredibly lucky because Meinir Heulyn agreed to teach me, even though I am an untalented elderly beginner.

Meinir is a native Welsh speaker, originally from Ceredigion.

Well, today, still high from the April Bootcamp experience, I dared to request to have my harp lesson in Welsh with her, for the first time ever.

I'm still alive :wow:

Meinir is a strict teacher, very hot on technique and while being a lovely and kind lady, does not hand out praise on a plate all the time. Today was my first lesson for 3 weeks due to holidays and I was terrified I'd lost a lot of technique.

Hearing her say "ardderchog" was extra special, all the more so, because she said it in Welsh :D


Krys - You're not allowed to worry about being in a "Welsh Learners Ghetto" anymore (see Beti a'i pobl thread). If you can cope with a harp lesson (something you've only been doing for a few months!!) through the medium of Welsh, then you're a Welsh speaker living through the medium of Welsh (granted not for everything :wink: )! :ardderchog: :llongyf:
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
User avatar
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW
 
Posts: 2309
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:23 am
Location: Northwich, Cheshire
Real name:: Sarah-Jane

Re: Harping on in Welsh

Postby dinas » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:17 pm

SJ's, right, again. Don't get smug, SJ!
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
User avatar
dinas
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 2280
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:35 pm
Real name:: kim

Re: Harping on in Welsh

Postby SJ » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:21 pm

dinas wrote:SJ's, right, again. Don't get smug, SJ!


Don't worry - I won't! I still remember the pain that comes with being a unconfident learner who can't talk to anyone! :oops:
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
User avatar
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW
 
Posts: 2309
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:23 am
Location: Northwich, Cheshire
Real name:: Sarah-Jane

Re: Harping on in Welsh

Postby jstetson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:31 pm

tehuti wrote:Hearing her say "ardderchog" was extra special, all the more so, because she said it in Welsh :D

That is so wonderful! And so exciting!!!

Will you be around the Eisteddfod? Will I get to hear you play??? :D :cariad: :D
Feel free to correct my Welsh, os gwelwch yn dda.
Image
Words are like children, they behave differently with their friends.
User avatar
jstetson
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:28 am
Location: Arlington MA, USA
Real name:: Jan Stetson

Re: Harping on in Welsh

Postby tehuti » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 pm

jstetson wrote:
tehuti wrote:Hearing her say "ardderchog" was extra special, all the more so, because she said it in Welsh :D

That is so wonderful! And so exciting!!!

Will you be around the Eisteddfod? Will I get to hear you play??? :D :cariad: :D


I'll be commuting in to the EIsteddfod from home, hopefully each day. It seems the simplest option, even though it will be an hour's drive each way. I'll have to pretend I'm actually away from home, because otherwise I will probably get bogged down with work. Where are you staying? Cardiff?

Don't think I'll be up to Pink Pavillion standard :mrgreen:

I can just about play Pwt ar y Bys at the mo, so if there is a harp floating around Ty Gwerin, I might have a go :wink:
tehuti
 

Re: Harping on in Welsh

Postby Iestyn » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:50 am

tehuti wrote:Well, today, still high from the April Bootcamp experience, I dared to request to have my harp lesson in Welsh with her, for the first time ever.

...

Hearing her say "ardderchog" was extra special, all the more so, because she said it in Welsh :D


Llongyfarchiadau, Krys!

I thnink part of your success has been your willingness to throw yourself in at the deep end with Welsh, joining choirs and the like - (no, I'm not still smarting from being beaten by your choir in the Eisteddfod in Ystrad Mynach at all!) That's the same commitment as led you to asking for a Harp lesson in Welsh, and the same commitment that means that, unlike thousands of adult learners before you, you are now a real life Welsh speaker, able to use your Welsh in whatever part of your life that you choose.

:seren:

Knowing you, you are probably thinking that I've gone over the top a bit there, because there are lumps of your life that you don;t have the vocabulary for, but welcome to the world of the Welsh speaker. Most Welsh speakers are short fo the vocab for stuff they haven't done through Welsh before. Learning vocab for things that you are interested in is easy, once you have the basic ability to speak in Welsh, and the backbone to be a bit uncomfortable for a bit. You have both in spades! Well done, and thank you for sharing your "butterfly" moment with us - it's really inspiring!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
User avatar
Iestyn
SSi CFO
 
Posts: 4374
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion
Real name:: Iestyn

Re: Harping on in Welsh

Postby tehuti » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Ahhhh, that was an amazing experience with Cor Cwm Rhondda. Unfortunately, after the end of the TV series, no one was able or willing to take up directing the choir, so it folded.

I've been searching desperately for another choir that sings in Welsh that is reachable from Treorci.

I thought I had struck lucky when I came across the web site of Côr Godre'r Garth, which meets near Pontypridd. I emailed the contact address and also the conductor, Eilir Owen Griffiths, asking if I could join. I did not receive any reply. Perhaps I made a mistake writing my message in Welsh. Perhaps they thought my Welsh was not good enough.
tehuti
 

Re: Harping on in Welsh

Postby Tahl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:09 pm

tehuti wrote:I thought I had struck lucky when I came across the web site of Côr Godre'r Garth, which meets near Pontypridd. I emailed the contact address and also the conductor, Eilir Owen Griffiths, asking if I could join. I did not receive any reply. Perhaps I made a mistake writing my message in Welsh. Perhaps they thought my Welsh was not good enough.

I can think of lots more-likely reasons you didn't get an answer, especially since the history of the Côr's formation on its website says explicitly that a number of Welsh learners were attracted to its ranks, and it was a way for a number of members to improve their Welsh!

p.s.: I see they've got open rehearsals; have you thought about going along to one and seeing if that's a way to get more information about audition opportunities, etc.?
Image
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
User avatar
Tahl
SSiW Angel
 
Posts: 5923
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:40 am
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, USA
Real name:: Diane





 



Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron