Just tried out my new Welsh, very disappointed | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Just tried out my new Welsh, very disappointed

Postby Cer » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:13 am

Just agreeing with what everybody else has said.
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby bontddu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:10 am

AlexTigers wrote:I just tried to use my newly learnt Welsh on another forum I frequent.

It was a very discouraging experience. :cry: I was told it sounded clunky and awkward and I wasn't getting the mutations right. :cry: (I probably wasn't, but I thought it didn't matter)

So I said "mae'n ddrwg da fi, dw i ddim yn gallu siarad Cymraeg yn dda" (from the bonus lesson) and was told it was an odd turn of phrase and I should use "mae'n ddrwg gen i" instead. Not the best start to my using Welsh!

Hey, you're a Welsh speaker who simply doesn't know as many words or structures as this person - don't let them take possescsion of the language. It's your language, no matter how inexperienced you are. I know people whose English is deplorable but I don't tell them they can't speak it. Methinks we're dealing with another case of insecurity and self-loathing here. Ignore! Put them in your mind's shredder and move on. Dal ati!

And in edit - I'll add that I have heard all of the above expressions gen i/ da fi/ ddrwg/ flin etc on Welsh TV so not only is this person a nasty little bully but also plain old-fashioned wrong. Tell him he's a mjinga and get him Googling that.
bontddu
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:13 am

AlexTigers wrote:Thanks to everyone for the supportive message. Not to worry, I've no intentions of letting this put me off! I've been immensely enjoying myself so far.

Good!
AlexTigers wrote:
sumsmeister wrote:"Don't squin!" is a common local expression but not everyone in the UK knows what it means. I just educate them if they ask...

educate me too please! I've never heard that before!

"To squinny" means to complain or whinge a lot.
Pob hwyl!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby JonSais » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:19 am

Never let a negative responce put you off using your Welsh! The very first time I tried speaking Welsh to a Welsh Speaking expat back in 1997 I got corrected in English and no positive feedback at all, but that only spurred me on to keep learning. In Wales have only ever experienced positive responces and support from Welsh speakers. Don't give up!
Jon Sais
http://www.derbywelshlearnerscircle.blogspot.com
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg
JonSais

Postby llanfairfach » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:44 pm

JonSais wrote:Never let a negative responce put you off using your Welsh! The very first time I tried speaking Welsh to a Welsh Speaking expat back in 1997 I got corrected in English and no positive feedback at all, but that only spurred me on to keep learning. In Wales have only ever experienced positive responces and support from Welsh speakers. Don't give up!
Jon Sais
http://www.derbywelshlearnerscircle.blogspot.com

I can only concur. I read this thread last night and I've been mulling it over all day.

I live in a predominantly Welsh speaking area (I hope to do my part in keeping it that way thanks to SSiW) and have never had a problem from first speakers (no matter what language I attempt to speak in :wink: ). Both my wife (Welsh born and bred) and I however have had snide, nasty and what borders on downright racist remarks from English people, both here and from over the border. Yes... yawn yawn... changing to Welsh in shops... yawn yawn... amongst other things :evil: .

This doesn't affect me, it just makes me more determined to become a fluent speaker. It does have a very negative affect on my wife though, destroying what confidence she builds up. We'll get there though. I've said this before, those type of people don't stay in the country long and soon return to England with their entirely wrong view of - "The Welsh."

A bit of banter is fun and makes life roll by nicely. You do have to be careful on the internet though. Even with those little emotion things :cry: :ouch: :sad: :smile: , attempts at humour/banter and more importantly, playing devil's advocate, can so easily be taken the wrong way.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh.

Finished Lesson 22 Course 3 (Northern).
llanfairfach
SSiW Member

Postby jstetson » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:49 pm

bontddu wrote:Put them in your mind's shredder and move on. Dal ati!

Www, quite like that image!
Feel free to correct my Welsh, os gwelwch yn dda.
Words are like children, they behave differently with their friends.
jstetson
SSiW Member

Postby youngblandford » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:02 pm

The first time I ever tried my welsh out the response was dreadful. I was told I said everything wrong and when I said I was learning I was told that learners arent welcome.

Fortunately that is the only negative response ever. I've had one welsh speaker nearly in tears when I told him about Ssiw as he had always felt embarressed about his welsh and was over the moon that people were working so hard to bring it back.
youngblandford
Mr Weithia

Postby Spenny » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 pm

youngblandford wrote:The first time I ever tried my welsh out the response was dreadful. I was told I said everything wrong and when I said I was learning I was told that learners arent welcome.

Fortunately that is the only negative response ever. I've had one welsh speaker nearly in tears when I told him about Ssiw as he had always felt embarressed about his welsh and was over the moon that people were working so hard to bring it back.

When I tried out my Welsh in Austria, the powerful response I got was "You're speaking my language, blub, blub!"
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Postby helenthomas » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:35 pm

Show me one person who speaks English correctly! So s :faint: :mad: top worrying about your Welsh.
helenthomas
SSiW Member

Postby Lostontheoggin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:16 am

When I first tried learning welsh using Roesetta Stone my wife would continually correct my welsh, basically because I was getting it wrong, as I've progressed through the SSiW course there has been a lot less correcting. Now we automatically say things in welsh in the home. Just little things like Cavalis (Not sure if thats spelt right I'm not learning writing yet) Wedi blino etc. My 4 year old has learnt that if she asks for something in cymraeg she's more likely to get it.

I have come across English people being anti welsh, one particular loathsome individual I worked with in particular, Every morning when coming up to the bridge I would say 'Bore da' to the Captain and Helmsman, this individual interrupted and said 'The working language of this ship is English!' he couldn't have done more to promote the welsh language if he'd tried as the Helmsman told the rest of the Sailors about his attitude, they then made a conscious effort to talk to me in welsh, which helped me considerably.
Lostontheoggin

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind