Just tried out my new Welsh, very disappointed | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Just tried out my new Welsh, very disappointed

Postby sumsmeister » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:11 pm

AlexTigers wrote:It was a very discouraging experience.

Hopefully using SSiW has been a very encouraging experience - it was when I started and still is for me! You can trust that the patterns you learn are genuine and when you try them in a spoken conversation, you'll get on fine, just as I have, even if I make mistakes. Which I do each time I open my mouth! (I also enjoy speaking English, French and German badly as well!) There are regional variations:- we don't say neeps and tatties in Portsmouth but we know what it means. "Don't squin!" is a common local expression but not everyone in the UK knows what it means. I just educate them if they ask...
Dal ati! Keep at it!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby Bryn-Daf » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:02 pm

I wouldnt get too discouraged....some people can come across a little to direct.
I share a similar experience...I was corrected throughout my teens in quite a direct manner

I have also seen people trying to learn english being mocked for some mistakes...much comedy i have seen is based on the poor english speaker.....so its not a welsh thing by all means :wink:
Last edited by Bryn-Daf on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ac wrth feddwl am fy Nghymru,
Daw llawenydd i'n nghalon i
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

Postby leiafee » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:05 pm

AlexTigers wrote:I was told it sounded clunky and awkward and I wasn't getting the mutations right. :cry: (I probably wasn't, but I thought it didn't matter)

Bring to mind for a moment the sort of person who interrupts forum discussions (happily never here!) to complain about split infinitives and Oxford commas and to be smug about whether 'momentarily' means 'for a moment or 'in a moment'... We've all met them somewhere...

They obviously exist in Welsh language communities as well - and it's a reflection on them not you!

THIS to 'em!

leiafee
SSiW Member

Postby Bryn-Daf » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:08 pm

I actually fear correcting people because I look harsh or smug (and because I am not fluent) even if i see a lot of errors lol

but why cant welsh be flexible enough to cope with "mae'n ddrwg da fi"...it makes sense.....mae'n flin gen i - is surely more clunky as blin means angry up north, but in south its more like grievance....but I am confused myself here lol
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

Postby AlexTigers » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks to everyone for the supportive message. Not to worry, I've no intentions of letting this put me off! I've been immensely enjoying myself so far. Some people are unkind, no matter what language they might speak, it's a fact of life.

Aran wrote:shows that you're not a 'pure' no-reading-or-writing learner, too..

Ooops, I've been rumbled! :lol: I admit it, I saw the discussion in Welsh on the other forum, and just had to jump in and try out my Welsh. I know roughly how things are spelt in Welsh, so I can work out some of what I'm hearing, although not always. I know that an 'ee' sound at the end of a verb tends to be 'u', for example, and other general things, plus I had read quite a lot of words before I decided to give the SSiW approach a go. I can't unlearn all that!

tehuti wrote: We have been taught both "mae'n flin 'da fi" and "mae'n ddrwg 'da fi"

Ooh, this has raised a question for me. Is the 'flin' in the first expression related to 'blino' (tired)?

sumsmeister wrote:Hopefully using SSiW has been a very encouraging experience

it has been and it is. I have found the people here very helpful with questions I have asked, and everyone seems to be trying hard and enthusiastic about the language!

sumsmeister wrote:"Don't squin!" is a common local expression but not everyone in the UK knows what it means. I just educate them if they ask...

educate me too please! I've never heard that before!

leiafee wrote:Bring to mind for a moment the sort of person who interrupts forum discussions (happily never here!) to complain about split infinitives and Oxford commas and to be smug about whether 'momentarily' means 'for a moment or 'in a moment'... We've all met them somewhere...

Exactly, this is so true.

I don't mind correcting people if they have asked me to. (Not in Welsh, obviously, but as I live in a foreign country I do get people asking me about grammar or pronunciation points in English from time to time) But I wouldn't dream of putting a learner down and discouraging them.
AlexTigers
SSiW Member

Postby AlexTigers » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:20 pm

Bryn-Daf wrote:blin means angry up north, but in south its more like grievance

so not related to blino then? And there I was feeling excited at having found a connection. Unless it's like 'irritable' in the way you are when tired... or am I just clutching at straws now...
AlexTigers
SSiW Member

Postby Bryn-Daf » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:22 pm

AlexTigers wrote: but as I live in a foreign country I do get people asking me about grammar or pronunciation points in English from time to time) But I wouldn't dream of putting a learner down and discouraging them.

where do you live if you dont mind me asking?....round my area we call England the 'near abroad' :lol:
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

Postby AlexTigers » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:34 pm

I don't mind at all. I've already stated on other threads on here. I live in Greece.
AlexTigers
SSiW Member

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:59 pm

Aran wrote:Then, years down the line, they come across an enthusiastic learner, and all they can think to do is try to mark their own status by knocking down the learner - in ways which are usually pretty laughable to any confident Welsh speaker, but which can be successfully intimidating and negative to an early stage learner.

QFT, as they say on the interwebs. No expert in a subject or skill would react to a learner's enthusiastic efforts to learn it with put-downs, because it would be a source of pleasure and affirmation to them that other people share their interest.
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Postby Bryn-Daf » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:34 pm

RedGreenInBlue wrote:
Aran wrote:Then, years down the line, they come across an enthusiastic learner, and all they can think to do is try to mark their own status by knocking down the learner - in ways which are usually pretty laughable to any confident Welsh speaker, but which can be successfully intimidating and negative to an early stage learner.

QFT, as they say on the interwebs. No expert in a subject or skill would react to a learner's enthusiastic efforts to learn it with put-downs, because it would be a source of pleasure and affirmation to them that other people share their interest.

aye sounds like someone insecure themselves to put down others who are trying their best
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind