B&B Aberystwyth/Welsh speaking? | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

B&B Aberystwyth/Welsh speaking?

Postby Rhiannon in Sussex » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:17 am

Ploughing on through the first course and wanting to take first tentative steps to speaking Welsh "in the wild".

I'm going to Aberystwyth soon to visit one of my sons at University & will stay a couple of nights. Does anyone know of any Welsh speaking B & Bs/guest houses in the town? Perhaps from the birthday weekend? Diolch yn fawr!
Last edited by Rhiannon in Sussex on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhiannon in Sussex
SSiW Member

Re: B&B Aberystwyth/Welsh speaking?

Postby Sionned » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:14 am

Several people at the party stayed at the Bodalwyn Guest House and spoke very highly of it. In fact, I think the whole place (it only has eight rooms) was filled with SSiW people!
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby leiafee » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:01 pm

I would absolutely praise the Bodalwyn to the clouds. It's a lovely building, cosy individually decorated rooms (with taps labelled in Welsh!) good grub at breakfast-time and run by a lovely Welsh speaking family who were wonderfully patient with the mob of SSIWers that pitched up and filled the place for the birthday party!

It was so nice I booked straight away for the following weekend - when it was at least half full of people there for Hacio'r Iaith...

It's been full both times I've stayed there and that was January, mind, so I'd book good and early.
leiafee
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:13 pm

The people at Gwesty Cymru also speak Welsh -- I think SJ and Gareth thought very highly of it from their experience at the birthday weekend.
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby cap » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:20 pm

There is a list here - all the entries with the green/red dragon symbol are places which are Welsh speaking http://www.tourism.ceredigion.gov.uk/pd ... stwyth.pdf. Judging by everyones comments from the SSIW weekend Bodalwyn sounds like the best one (it is also the top ranked B&B in Aberystwyth on the tripadvisor website)
cap
SSiW Member

Postby Rhiannon in Sussex » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:04 pm

Thank you all very much for your replies. Once I've fixed the date - it's got to be soon - I'll contact Bodalwyn and, if they're full up, Gwesty Cymru. Both look lovely from their websites and I'm also grateful to you, Colin, for the link to the Ceredigion tourism website. It'll be an area that the family will get to know well over the next three years!
Rhiannon in Sussex
SSiW Member

Postby Bryn-Daf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 pm

A fair number of people including management at Gwesty'r Marine/ The marine hotel .. speak welsh in Aberystwyth
Ac wrth feddwl am fy Nghymru,
Daw llawenydd i'n nghalon i
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

Postby chambo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:11 am

Gwesty Cymru is very nice and welsh is spoken, and the food is lovely.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gwesty-Cymru/263826474322
chambo
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind