Run away! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Run away!

Postby jojomonsta » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:40 pm

Hello!
Ok, so I am now on lesson 13 of the introductory course and have to say -wow! I can't believe how well I feel I am doing! Top marks to the team behind this whole thing, you have made a dream come true!

Anyway...

Over Christmas I went to visit my parents in Pembrokeshire (neither are Welsh speakers)
The family my mother works for are all fluent Welsh speakers so, to break me in gently, my mother suggested I start practising on their 11 year old son...

I think I managed "Ti'n iawn?" and that was it before I panicked and, almost literally, ran away! Lol
That same evening I mentioned to his father that I was learning and he asked me (in Welsh) how I was getting on. Again, I panicked! He was lovely though and explained what he had said. But I couldn't build the courage to speak to either of them in Welsh again...
I think my problem here is that I know I can hold my own but I get stage fright! It's like I know I can do it but I just clam up and can't think or react properly and get almost panicky that I have to perform!

That said, we visited other friends that week, one of which knew Welsh, and I decided to start up "Wyt ti'n siarad cymraeg?". She was herself rusty but responded in Welsh and complimented me on my pronunciation. This gave me a bit more confidence but, at this stage I didn't have enough vocab to keep the conversation going...

Writing Welsh is a different matter! Go figure!

I am Welsh but now live in England. I still keep in touch with a lot of people in Cardiff, where I hail from. As a user of Facebook I have been trying out some bits and bobs on there and have been doing quite well. I am very fortunate in that a few of my friends are Welsh speakers and have corrected where required and also complimented me on my progress. I seem to be doing quite well conversing with them on here using the Welsh that I have learned. I guess it must be because I get to think about what I am writing before I post it?

I have to say though, I think credit goes to the 'crew' at SSIW for putting together such an amazing, and simple, course!

I am starting to feel a bit more confident and hope that, next time I head West, I will stop panicking and will go with the flow. I know I can do it, I just need to actually do it!

Anyway, war and peace over, just wanted to share my story so far and my first panicky experience of Welsh in the Wild!
jojomonsta
SSiW Member

Re: Run away!

Postby Cer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:37 am

You've spoken to people in the wild. That's big. The next time will be easier just because it isn't the first time, and you'll have a couple or few more lessons under your belt.

I think you're right about the leisure to think, and even go back and edit, when you write, v. the tumble-down immediacy of talking in real time. I think that covers first language, too.

Congratulations!
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:08 am

Hi Jo, that was a good way to "break your duck"! I must say though, you were using the Welsh that you knew, you were complimented on your pronunciation and what you said was perfectly understandable, so that was fantastic! Can I suggest you have another go at the Lessons 6.1 and 6.2 again? To get into that sort of conversation after only a few lessons shows great commitment and is greatly to your credit - well done!
As for writing, don't worry about it, as Aran and Iestyn tell you at the beginning, because SSiW is all about talking, not writing. Talking is by far the most common way of communicating anyway...
Pob lwc!
Good luck!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby danhiggins1002 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:17 am

jojomonsta wrote:I think I managed "Ti'n iawn?" and that was it before I panicked and, almost literally, ran away! Lol
That same evening I mentioned to his father that I was learning and he asked me (in Welsh) how I was getting on. Again, I panicked! He was lovely though and explained what he had said. But I couldn't build the courage to speak to either of them in Welsh again...
I think my problem here is that I know I can hold my own but I get stage fright! It's like I know I can do it but I just clam up and can't think or react properly and get almost panicky that I have to perform!

Great effort on getting out there and give it a go. :clap: I can definately relate to your 'stage fright' situation, we had our first SSiW Sydney meeting on Wednesday, and there were a quite a few times I felt like a deer in the headlights. But still, feels good when you finally do it.
Dwi'n hoffi coffi
danhiggins1002

Postby Aran » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:15 am

jojomonsta wrote:I think I managed "Ti'n iawn?" and that was it before I panicked and, almost literally, ran away!

You said some Welsh on your very first go? That's brilliant! Here, have one of these: :star:

When I first started having dreams in Welsh, they were almost all about people trying to speak Welsh to me, and me finding various different excuses to run away...:)

The most important thing is your enthusiasm, and your willingness/eagerness to put yourself into situations where people will speak Welsh with you - everything else will follow on from that, and it's not a race. Keep on doing it, and it will get easier...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind