First official meeting in Welsh | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: First official meeting in Welsh

Postby SJ » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Tahl wrote:Excellent -- so, was it one of those situations that felt a lot easier once you got started?

Exactly! Even though I go to the Canolfan twice a week for Welsh lessons in the evening, it has a completely different atmosphere in the daytime.
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby Dee » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:18 pm

:llongyf: Sa i byth yn mynd i siarad Saesneg gyda ti o gwbl, achos dw i'n moyn cyrraedd ble wyt ti gyda dy Gymraeg di hefyd!
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby carungo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:51 pm

Welsh Encounter:heard a welsh voice at the checkout in a small shop locally, so i go"Wyt ti'n siarad cymraeg ?" and found I was speaking to the retired Baptist minister of the town. We didnt draw breath for 20 mins ( we did eventually go into english.) However he didnt want to create or join any Welsh group but said there was one in Evesham.. anyone know about this ?

Many many thanks to Tahl for suggesting the book "In search of Welshness" by Peter Daniels. I've nearly finished it and will send a review when I have. Should we have a strand for book reviews about, by, or for, Wales ?

carungo
carungo
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:41 am

carungo wrote:Welsh Encounter:heard a welsh voice at the checkout in a small shop locally, so i go"Wyt ti'n siarad cymraeg ?" and found I was speaking to the retired Baptist minister of the town. We didnt draw breath for 20 mins ( we did eventually go into english.) However he didnt want to create or join any Welsh group but said there was one in Evesham.. anyone know about this ?

Many many thanks to Tahl for suggesting the book "In search of Welshness" by Peter Daniels. I've nearly finished it and will send a review when I have. Should we have a strand for book reviews about, by, or for, Wales ?

carungo

Classic story about finding Welsh speakers where you least expect them. :D Hope he's right about that group in Evesham.

Please, yes, do start a thread with book reviews about/by/for Wales. I'd really enjoy reading that. I'm a little embarrassed on this particular book, because although I posted about it, and ordered it right away, I haven't read it yet. :roll: I have been vaguely thinking, 'oh, I'll save it for a 'snow day' off work' -- and then we've gone & had one of the driest winters in years (total of 2" of snow to date).
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby vgh50 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:50 pm

SJ wrote:I managed to speak to the receptionist, and conduct the whole meeting confidently speaking Welsh and I understood everything and everything was fine! No bluffing required! My first official work-like meeting through the medium of Welsh. O'n i'n teimlo'n hollol dwyieithog a mor chuffed ar ol hynny! :lol:

Superb!! What a massive achievement...quite inspirational :star:
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:09 pm

SJ, you are a legend! I get a little tongue-tied when having a conversation on the phone in Welsh when the person is not looking at me, making it worse! To sit in a meeting, well that's just superb!
Ti yn dwyieithiog, heb cwestiwn!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind