Fed up,,, | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Fed up,,,

Postby T68teen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:09 pm

We went to the Botanical gardens of Wales today and on their website it says they like people to try using Welsh even lists a few useful words. So I thought brilliant a chance to use Welsh for real for the first time. As we were driving down I was trying to think of the useful phrases but 'i'm sorry' just wouldn't come to mind even though I had checked it an hour before we left. Then when we got there, everywhere was so busy I didn't think they would really have time to put up with my attempts so I didn't attempt and stuck to English :sad:

So i'm fed up! :mad:

Will add even though it's January the Gardens are lovely, the snowdrops and narcissi are just coming into flower. During January they are doing free entry at weekends in conjunction with other events they are running!
'We learn more from our mistakes than successes but experience always comes five minutes too late.'
T68teen

Re: Fed up,,,

Postby Morgs » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:01 pm

I know how you feel! I've been in Cardigan all week on holiday and really thought that I would get the chance to practise a bit of Welsh...but I just got myself into a state when I went into a shop - I kept listening for people speaking in Welsh, but they all seemed to be speaking English. In the end, in the whole week, I said two things in Welsh - one to the butcher who gave me a bone for the dog (bydd y ci yn hapus iawn) and one to the farmer's dog (ti'n hyfryd). Ii don't think it helped that my boyfriend was with me - he is really supportive, but I think I would've been better on my own - just ridiculous embarrassment I suppose! :dafad:
Morgs
SSiW Member

Postby lambiek » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 pm

During Bootcamp in September, we had a number of challenges, many involving going up to random people in the streets of Cardigan and converse with them in Welsh. One really good way to start is to ask anyone, in Welsh, what the best thing is about living in <whatever town you happen to find yourself in>. That is guaranteed to get things going, in my experience.
Once you are more advanced, ask them to sing a song in Welsh with you, that is a bit harder, though. :D
Mae syniadau gwyrddion di-liw yn cysgu'n wyllt
lambiek
SSiW Member

Postby dinas » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:55 am

lambiek wrote:During Bootcamp in September, we had a number of challenges, many involving going up to random people in the streets of Cardigan and converse with them in Welsh. One really good way to start is to ask anyone, in Welsh, what the best thing is about living in <whatever town you happen to find yourself in>. That is guaranteed to get things going, in my experience.
Once you are more advanced, ask them to sing a song in Welsh with you, that is a bit harder, though. :D

Hi Lambiek! You don't need to that advanced actually. On one, Bootcamp, we were all out asking people to sing to us. With brilliant results. Bevan, Antony and myslf getting a burly police sargent to sing, with great gusto. He even thought he was on, Candid Camera....I wish we'd video'd it. :clap:
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:21 am

dinas wrote:On one, Bootcamp, we were all out asking people to sing to us. With brilliant results. Bevan, Antony and myslf getting a burly police sargent to sing, with great gusto. He even thought he was on, Candid Camera....I wish we'd video'd it. :clap:

One of the very best things to have happened that week!
Just ask someone where something is. "Esgusodwch fi, ble mae'r pwll nofio, plîs?" (Os gwelwch chi'n dda = please, as well...) "Excuse me, where's the swimming pool, please?" If you're feeling brave enough, ask them to explain a word you didn't hear properly. "Beth yw...plîs?" and say you don't speak Welsh perfectly (Dwi ddim yn siarad Cymraeg yn perffaith.)
A bit more prep and you can go again! It's funny how when you need to use a word/phrase you can forget it. That's why SSiW works well, I think, because the repeats help you to remember things more naturally. Top tip: make sure you are as relaxed as possible when you are listening to Iestyn/Cat or Aran/Catrin and your learning will be more effective. Don't feel pressured during the lesson - you are learning at your pace and you can use the pause button as much as you like.
Pob lwc!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby Iestyn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:34 am

Nex time you find yourself in a potentially Welsh speaking area, Theresa, remember that most Welsh speakers will be cheered by hearing someone unexpected talking Welsh with them, not find it a chore, so all those busy people having a boring "same-old" kind of day would receive a lovely surprise to be spoken to by a new Welsh speaker, however halting.

Remember as well that you can always say one thing and guage their reaction - if they seem too busy, move on. If they seeme please, linger a bit!

But the most important thing is you see this as a lovely day out where you just didn;t speak Welsh. Have you ever worried about one of them before? If you start marking yourself down for not doing something you've never done before, you're in for a hard time. Just relax and enjoy yourself, and if you have a chance, drop a Welsh word or two in to see what happens. A good start is to finish the conversation with a Welsh sentence: then you can run away before you get into trouble. You've spoken Welsh with someone, in public, and that is a step forward - if you don't run too fast, have a little look to see that they understood you!

But most important is that you relax and take it easy. Wanting to do it is the first step. Being disappointed that you didn;t is the second step. The third step is putting it off til the last minute, then saying something and running away. We've all been there (me with languages other than Welsh, of course!), so just understand that you are on course to being a Welsh speaker! :dance:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby RobertBruce » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:20 am

Hi Theresa - You might like to know that Cymdeithas y Ddraig Goch - the society of Welsh speakers in Llan'dod - will be holding a Twmpath for learners at the Met quite soon. I'll let you know when I find out the exact date. This is always a good evening to try out your Welsh in a friendly and supportive atmosphere.

Are you coming to Aber next week? I'd offer a lift, but I've got the whole family coming along and we've decided to stay over. Please come and say hello if you're there! :D
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby T68teen » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi Robert. The learners meet at the Met sounds good. I'd love to know when it is, I might even be lucky and not be working so be able to go. I am going to Aber, no prob with lift i'm not stopping over. Will see you there :smile:
'We learn more from our mistakes than successes but experience always comes five minutes too late.'
T68teen

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind