Feeling Terrible | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Feeling Terrible

Postby Elinnia » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:30 pm

Last night I got a call back from the same company. In Welsh.

If there ever comes a time when a cold caller speaks Welsh to me and I can understand everything they say then I will buy anything they are selling!! :wink:
Elinnia
SSiW Member

Postby rhywun » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:14 am

I speak welsh to cold callers, but being in Australia - no one has called me on that yet - mind you only people calling me are breaking the law because i am on the do not call list.

I think kudos to them for finding someone to call you back - but yeh don't feel bad - just should do what i used to do when i answered in english - insist on knowing more about them - you cant give money to people you don't know and trust - or revert to extreme profanity - both fun 2nd one is a shorter call.

I have worked doing cold calling before - yeh it does suck but that's why it pays better than most other bottom end jobs - if everyone was nice about it they'd get paid half of what they do! Real or perceived unpleasantness is a contributing factor to wages :)

If everyone agreed with me that my job was the best job in the world i'd only get $10 an hour rather than $400 - meh some disdain is keeping my bank account all happy :)
Mae croeso i ti gywiro fy Nghymraeg
Beginner with lightning fast look-up skills add me to skype:trollsb
rhywun
SSiW Member

Postby danhiggins1002 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:12 am

rhywun wrote:I speak welsh to cold callers, but being in Australia - no one has called me on that yet - mind you only people calling me are breaking the law because i am on the do not call list.

I think kudos to them for finding someone to call you back - but yeh don't feel bad - just should do what i used to do when i answered in english - insist on knowing more about them - you cant give money to people you don't know and trust - or revert to extreme profanity - both fun 2nd one is a shorter call.

I have worked doing cold calling before - yeh it does suck but that's why it pays better than most other bottom end jobs - if everyone was nice about it they'd get paid half of what they do! Real or perceived unpleasantness is a contributing factor to wages :)

If everyone agreed with me that my job was the best job in the world i'd only get $10 an hour rather than $400 - meh some disdain is keeping my bank account all happy :)

I'm going to steal that idea of speaking to cold callers in Welsh!
Also... $400?? :faint:
Dwi'n hoffi coffi
danhiggins1002

Postby rhywun » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:41 am

danhiggins1002 wrote:Also... $400?? :faint:

Yeh I am due for a rate rise :P

Feel free to add me to skype if you want further details -found as trollsb.
Mae croeso i ti gywiro fy Nghymraeg
Beginner with lightning fast look-up skills add me to skype:trollsb
rhywun
SSiW Member

Postby PedrX » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:50 am

Perhaps two issues have combined to make this thread:

1. I can speak Welsh.

2. How to tackle cold callers.

If it's the second that is of genuine interest then here's the advice of an authority on the subject: This is part of his article:

Tips for Handling Telemarketers

Three Little Words That Work!!

(1)The three little words are: 'Hold On, Please...'

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.
PedrX
SSiW Member

Postby Lostontheoggin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:28 am

A poster on another forum suggested saying I'm busy now but give me your mobile number and I'll phone you back when I'm finished in a few hours,in my case this might ba about 3am when I finish my watch, when they say thats when they've finished work etc. Say you have no problem interrupting my personal time.
Lostontheoggin

Postby Spenny » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:28 am

Lostontheoggin wrote:A poster on another forum suggested saying I'm busy now but give me your mobile number and I'll phone you back when I'm finished in a few hours,in my case this might ba about 3am when I finish my watch, when they say thats when they've finished work etc. Say you have no problem interrupting my personal time.

I did go as far as arranging an appointment for a company that cold-called me. I have to say that I still feel a little guilty for wasting the person's time, because I suspect he might have been on commission and it wasn't his fault the company failed to do the basic checks, but only a little guilty. My theory is that you need to make it cost them more than a wasted phone call for them to respect Telephone Preference.
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Dee » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Spenny wrote:I did go as far as arranging an appointment for a company that cold-called me. I have to say that I still feel a little guilty for wasting the person's time, because I suspect he might have been on commission and it wasn't his fault the company failed to do the basic checks, but only a little guilty. My theory is that you need to make it cost them more than a wasted phone call for them to respect Telephone Preference.

Reminds me of the time a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman insisted on demonstrating how good his product was by hoovering my livingroom for me. I told him I wasn't interested, but he went through his whole spiel so I just let him carry on. He did a great job and even demonstrated hoovering my bed with a special attachment for dust mites!! :faint: He got rather upset and angry when I said "Thank you, but I still don't want to buy it". "But you agree that it's done a great job?" - yes, I did, but no matter how good it was, I still didn't want to buy a new vacuum cleaner!!
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind