Feeling Terrible | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Feeling Terrible

Postby RobertBruce » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:32 am

I got a cold call from a market research company a couple of days ago. Normally I tell cold callers that I'm only interested in speaking in Welsh and then speak only Welsh to them until the give up and hang up.

This time, the person on the other end said (in English) "OK I'll see what I can do".

Last night I got a call back from the same company. In Welsh. Bluff well and truly called.

Of course, I had to apologise for wasting their time and tell them that I was still not interested in talking to cold callers (was this technically a cold call anyway? :-? ), but I thanked them for making the effort (gwneud yr ymdrech - one of my favourite phrases, though I don't know why).

Now I feel awful for making them do this, and maybe making Welsh speakers look like a bunch of time-wasters. :sad:

I do hope they'll be as willing to accommodate Welsh speakers in the future.
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
User avatar
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel
 
Posts: 4556
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Sir Faesyfed
Real name:: Robert Bruce

Re: Feeling Terrible

Postby PedrX » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:15 am

We have to do whatever we can to keep these monsters at bay. I ask them to hang on and leave them hanging till they get fed up.
PedrX
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:07 pm
Real name:: peter

Re: Feeling Terrible

Postby RobertBruce » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:34 am

PedrX wrote:We have to do whatever we can to keep these monsters at bay. I ask them to hang on and leave them hanging till they get fed up.


I believe that people working in call centres actually welcome that because it gives them a short break - the software that controls their working life registers it as time on line, even if they're are not actually talking to anyone. If you just cut the line, they're immediately put through to the next caller without the chance to take a breath.
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
User avatar
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel
 
Posts: 4556
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Sir Faesyfed
Real name:: Robert Bruce

Re: Feeling Terrible

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:35 am

There is absolutely no reason for you to feel terrible about this. It's Wales: you should be able to use English or Welsh as you prefer (the caller should be accommodating your preferences, not the other way round), and I can't see any reason why that entitlement would excludes the act of telling the caller you're not interested in answering their questions! :smile:
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
User avatar
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:46 pm
Location: Stockport, Lloegr
Real name:: Peter

Re: Feeling Terrible

Postby Iestyn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:37 pm

I'm interested to know what company that was, Rob. Sounds like you were dealt with very respectfully, which is highly commendable.

On the other hand, I still don;t think you should feel bad. It was a cold call. If it were made in English to an English speaker, they would not feel obligated to buy just because it was in their own language, so I don;t really see that you should feel guilty. If anything, publishing their name might make a few Welsh speakers think about using them if that is an example of how they treat the language, ie with respect.
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
User avatar
Iestyn
SSi CFO
 
Posts: 4374
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion
Real name:: Iestyn

Re: Feeling Terrible

Postby RobertBruce » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Iestyn wrote:I'm interested to know what company that was, Rob. Sounds like you were dealt with very respectfully, which is highly commendable.


That's why I felt so bad about it. Unfortunately, because I was in "I'm not interested in a single word you have to say" cold call mode, the name of the company didn't register at all.
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
User avatar
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel
 
Posts: 4556
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Sir Faesyfed
Real name:: Robert Bruce

Re: Feeling Terrible

Postby Cer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Just did a search for "call centre welsh speaker." No success in finding a particular center that has Welsh-language employees currently. What I got, for the most part, were want ads for Welsh speakers, native level, read, write speak, for outbound calls to businesses and private residences. Just skimming, there is one call center in Bangor, one in Cardiff, one in Edinburgh, and one (or more) in London, looking for Welsh-speaking employees. Looks like those requests are beginning to sink in.

*(Some are listed all together at a job site, so it isn't really clear how many centers, just that this one place, the job center, is advertising on behalf of other businesses. Outbound calls are either cold calls, or calls to people who have expressed an interest in being contacted.)
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
User avatar
Cer
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:01 am
Location: Lexington, SC, U.S.A.
Real name:: Ceridwen

Re: Feeling Terrible

Postby PedrX » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:54 pm

RobertBruce wrote:
PedrX wrote:We have to do whatever we can to keep these monsters at bay. I ask them to hang on and leave them hanging till they get fed up.


I believe that people working in call centres actually welcome that because it gives them a short break - the software that controls their working life registers it as time on line, even if they're are not actually talking to anyone. If you just cut the line, they're immediately put through to the next caller without the chance to take a breath.


The object was to reduce the operater's success rate hence undermine the company. Not to persecute individuals.
PedrX
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:07 pm
Real name:: peter

Re: Feeling Terrible

Postby RobertBruce » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:04 pm

PedrX wrote:
RobertBruce wrote:
PedrX wrote:We have to do whatever we can to keep these monsters at bay. I ask them to hang on and leave them hanging till they get fed up.


I believe that people working in call centres actually welcome that because it gives them a short break - the software that controls their working life registers it as time on line, even if they're are not actually talking to anyone. If you just cut the line, they're immediately put through to the next caller without the chance to take a breath.


The object was to reduce the operater's success rate hence undermine the company. Not to persecute individuals.


Yes. The tone of my reply was ambiguous. I am 100% in favour of giving call centre workers unauthorised breaks from their otherwise soul-destroying wage slavery.
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
User avatar
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel
 
Posts: 4556
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Sir Faesyfed
Real name:: Robert Bruce

Re: Feeling Terrible

Postby leiafee » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:26 pm

I use Welsh as cold-caller deterrent as well, and am unrepentant!

It's astonishing how some of them preserve based on grabbing the vaguest of clues from the English I end having to throw in now and then! It's almost a language education in itself.
User avatar
leiafee
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:53 pm
Location: Abertawe
Real name:: Leia Fee (yn wir!)





 


Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron