Wobbly Welsh on the coast path | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Wobbly Welsh on the coast path

Postby RamblingJohn » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:37 am

Ok it's T minus one and i gess i'm ready.

i will put a link to my blog at the bottom of this post, i don't know how easy internet cafe's will be to find but if and when i find them i will try to put an upate here. So far with meet ups i have a possible with Dinas which would be fun as he no doubt knows the area better than me.

My tortoise name is Seymore and he is available (free) for photo opportunities, hope to see some of you along the path.
Cheers J.P.

http://johnparsons55.wordpress.com/
Northern cwrs 2, vocabs. dipping tentative toe in cwrs3.
The todo list grows ever longer.
In the beginning there was no history, let's try and add something useful.
RamblingJohn
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:05 pm

RamblingJohn wrote:Ok it's T minus one and i gess i'm ready.

Looking forward to reading about your travels. Good luck and good weather!
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Rhiannon in Sussex » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:11 pm

Pob lwc John!

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures at the next meet up! Bet the Welsh won't be wobbly for long!

Rhiannon and Geoffrey
Rhiannon in Sussex
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:30 pm

RamblingJohn wrote:My tortoise name is Seymore and he is available (free) for photo opportunities, hope to see some of you along the path.
Cheers J.P.

Trouble is, we need to be in Wales and the right part of Wales at that to see him at all!, let alone See more of him :roll:
Pob lwc Rambler, may your socks never rot and the rain fall at night.
Gary.
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby RamblingJohn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:35 pm

Thanks summsmeister, so far my socks have not rotted. I have taken my first break to miss the dire storm i kept getting warmings about (and for once they turned out to be true).

So i have reached a point west of Holyhead, just over 150 miles of fun and more fun, i've found a petrol heads (yes thats it's name) cafe full of motorcycles, and a teddy bears and teapots cafe full of teddy bears and teapots, they were equally fun and freindly. Wild life incluing seals and the rare chough was a common companion on the Angelsey north shore. Not a lot of welsh pracitce im afraid though i did have 10 minutes with a very nice lady and her dog that liked ice cream. Most of the time i have had the trail to myself.(oh and tourists). Hope to be back on route saturday with an improving forecast.

Cheers J.P.
RamblingJohn
SSiW Member

Postby RamblingJohn » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Now reached Fishguard over 450 miles, spreading the word about SSiW as and when opportunity presents itself.

Now know of plenty of places i want to revisit at a slower pace, ie stop and talk more to try and move forward with welsh, its fantastic landscape.

Cheers J.P.
RamblingJohn
SSiW Member

Postby Morgs » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Hope you don't mind if I add my bit to your thread Rambling John - as I am on the coast path too. Have had a grand weekend, walking bits of the Ceredigion coastal path.

Met a lady on the path near Aberporth who, when I asked her if she spoke Welsh, launched into it! I told her I only spoke slowly and we sat and chatted in Wenglish for about an hour about our lives etc. Fab. She was lovely and deliberately spoke slowly and clearly to me and explained new words. Thank you SSIW. Also had a chat with the chap in the garage - managed to ask him if I could pay with my card. Also the lady in the local farm shop - managed to thank her and her husband for always making the effort to chat to me in Welsh to help me practise.
Met an old chap on the path too. He said in English - lovely day isn't it? i replied Diolch Byth and he launched into Welsh too. I think it has helped that I am down the caravan without my boyfriend - the dog and I have had a purely Welsh weekend. Thank you SSIW - I had been feeling a little lacking in confidence over the past couple of weeks, but I feel buoyed up with enthusiasm again now. Also thank you to the people in Ceredigion - so warm and friendly and encouraging :lol:
Morgs
SSiW Member

Postby dinas » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:37 pm

Great! :clap:
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby JeanB » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:25 pm

That's a brilliant story Claire. I know from experience how scary it can feel having a go in the wild but it does get less scary with each go doesn't it. So you should feel very proud of yourself. :D
:ardderchog:
Please feel free to correct my mistakes. Diolch!
JeanB
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:48 pm

Claire, I really don't know why you worry about your Welsh (there should be a finger-wagging icon right here). You speak really well, really clearly and very confidently so I'm not at all surprised you got to speak to so many people :D
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind