Wobbly Welsh on the coast path | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Wobbly Welsh on the coast path

Postby leiafee » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Sounds fun! Definitely would be up for doing a section while sgwrsio!
leiafee
SSiW Member

Postby RobertBruce » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:19 pm

RamblingJohn wrote:I say send a text as the phone only gets switched on evenings to answer texts, call mother and update my blog, this way a charge will last 2 weeks.

Bear in mind that there are parts of the coast with very flaky mobile signals. We've just got back from the Urdd camp at Llangrannog where we could only get a signal by standing outside the sports centre. At home (in the middle, which you'll sadly miss if you insist on walking around the edge :wink: ) we can only get a signal by standing in the front bay window!
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby RamblingJohn » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:01 pm

Ah the mysterious phone signals, will they won't they be here is another of the variables that make my planning flakey.
Once last year i could see a phone mast across the valley but no signal, maybe a different company!
Realy baffling is the odd occasion i've sent an email but the phone won't make a call as apparently there is no signal, where would life be without a few mysteries.
When it won't work it's just switch off and try in morning after a few miles.
Iv'e met people with phones that also act as gps with a mapping app they really are impressive, but with a flat battery or no signal, then you can see why i still use paper maps. (mind you, when i lost two days mapping on the cornish coast i didn't feel so clever my self).

Diolch J.P.
Northern cwrs 2, vocabs. dipping tentative toe in cwrs3.
The todo list grows ever longer.
In the beginning there was no history, let's try and add something useful.
RamblingJohn
SSiW Member

Postby leiafee » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:19 pm

Paper maps are more fun than GPS anyway - you can't spread a GPS out on the floor on a rainy day planning where you want to go next time it's decent enough...
leiafee
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:44 pm

John, are you coordinating at all with The Big Welsh Coastal Walk? Tons of info here:
http://www.ramblers.org.uk/wales
"This is a series of Ramblers Cymru walks (see map) being held over the weekend of the 5th May 2012 to coincide with the launch of the Wales Coast Path. We have been working closely with Welsh Government, led by Countryside Council for Wales, funded by the European Union convergence fund to reach this point....The map will be updated as more walks are added...."
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Bryn-Daf » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:13 pm

O, rwy'n hoffi rhodio'r llwybrau
Fum yn chwarae yn ddi-nam. :cariad:
Ac wrth feddwl am fy Nghymru,
Daw llawenydd i'n nghalon i
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

Postby RamblingJohn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Tahl wrote:John, are you coordinating at all with The Big Welsh Coastal Walk? Tons of info here:
http://www.ramblers.org.uk/wales
"This is a series of Ramblers Cymru walks (see map) being held over the weekend of the 5th May 2012 to coincide with the launch of the Wales Coast Path. We have been working closely with Welsh Government, led by Countryside Council for Wales, funded by the European Union convergence fund to reach this point....The map will be updated as more walks are added...."

Thanks for that, i hadn't come across it, there are quite a lot of details i don't know like will there be an official start/finnish point at either end.

Cheers J.P.
RamblingJohn
SSiW Member

Postby RamblingJohn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:36 pm

Just a quick update, i have forward bought a rail ticket to Chester for March 26th as an all being well start date.
Only managed a little over 200 miles training so far this year,
The wobbly welsh is still wobbly. and the weather a month ahead is always unknown but it should be spring.
All i have found out about the start point is map cordinates (which is fine).

Cheers J.P.
RamblingJohn
SSiW Member

Postby Wil-ab-Eynon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:33 am

Hi John,

Perhaps you can provide some sort of calender where you hope to be during your walk.

It will help SSiWers who want to meet up with you a chance to organise themselves before hand.

Also your plans may co-inside with some Clonc bach or mawr where groups of learners and natural speakers are walking the coastal paths.
Wil-ab-Eynon
SSiW Member

Postby RamblingJohn » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Wil-ab-Eynon wrote:Hi John,

Perhaps you can provide some sort of calender where you hope to be during your walk.

It will help SSiWers who want to meet up with you a chance to organise themselves before hand.

Also your plans may co-inside with some Clonc bach or mawr where groups of learners and natural speakers are walking the coastal paths.

Looking ahead with reasonable weather i would imagine making it to the menai bridge in five days and then a week around Anglesey, (by then will know how it's going).

Meeting others on the coast would be great, i will put a phone number on hear nearer the start time so people can text me and will try to post an update to my blog at least daily.
Cheers J.P.
RamblingJohn
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind