Wobbly Welsh on the coast path | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Wobbly Welsh on the coast path

Postby RamblingJohn » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:03 pm

To the best of my knowledge all but a tiny section of the welsh coast path is open, so the idea is to give it a go starting in approximately 3 months time.

This seems like a great opportunity to meet plenty of Welsh speakers and try out my limited vocabulary which i hope will increase durning the journey.

If i meet any SSiW members that can only be an added pleasure.

For now i will continue training relatively localy, my hiking blog can be found via the radio button under my avatar to the right of this message, in the map, route tabs are a google map of the route and a spreadsheet of section lengths. Hope fully the journey will be updated daily so folks will have a rough idea of progress. Of course i will continue with the lessons, it would be nice to finnish course 1 before i start but at my current progress speed that looks a little unlikely.

Lets make 2012 interesting in a welsh way.

Cheers J.P.
Northern cwrs 2, vocabs. dipping tentative toe in cwrs3.
The todo list grows ever longer.
In the beginning there was no history, let's try and add something useful.
RamblingJohn
SSiW Member

Re: Wobbly Welsh on the coast path

Postby sumsmeister » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:09 pm

Wobbly Welsh, wobbly paths - lets hope that's all that's wobbly! Good luck John.
Wobbly Welsh is better than none at all - good on you matey!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby cat » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:55 pm

RamblingJohn wrote:To the best of my knowledge all but a tiny section of the welsh coast path is open, so the idea is to give it a go starting in approximately 3 months time.

What's the plan, John? Will you do the whole path in one go, camping / B&B-ing where you can, or do it in a few sections with breaks in between? If you're looking for a place to stay, we can offer a meal, comfy bed, Welsh conversation, and an evening pick-up/ morning drop off in Llangrannog...

Unfortunately, though, I don't think I'll be able to keep you company - although in training to :dance: at the SSiW birthday party in 3 weeks, I think your plans are well beyond my reach! :shock:
cat
SSi Head of Marketing

Postby RamblingJohn » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:21 pm

cat wrote:
RamblingJohn wrote:To the best of my knowledge all but a tiny section of the welsh coast path is open, so the idea is to give it a go starting in approximately 3 months time.

What's the plan, John? Will you do the whole path in one go, camping / B&B-ing where you can, or do it in a few sections with breaks in between? If you're looking for a place to stay, we can offer a meal, comfy bed, Welsh conversation, and an evening pick-up/ morning drop off in Llangrannog...

Unfortunately, though, I don't think I'll be able to keep you company - although in training to :dance: at the SSiW birthday party in 3 weeks, I think your plans are well beyond my reach! :shock:

That sounds like incredible generosity, iv'e just looked up Llangrannog and will hopefully walk by, a place to pitch tent (or if really wet a dry floor would be fantastic).

The plan is to do as much as possible in one go, but that is really flexible, i will at times have to pop home on the train to do important things like take my mother shopping. I find trying to plan these trips always ends up some what of a modify as circumstances dictate. I will aim as ever to camp as much as possible/ with occasional B&B for luxury.

You could hike this trail. a few years ago i only dreamed of such things then one day decided to give it a go, it's like learning Welsh (i hope) just move at your own pace. If a report appears on Welsh news about a strange man who keeps asking people if their old dog can play rugby you will know who it is.
Cheers J.P. see you in sunny Wales.
RamblingJohn
SSiW Member

Postby danhiggins1002 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:58 pm

That sounds like a fantastic idea! Dwi'n JEALOUS yn fawr! :dafad:
Dwi'n hoffi coffi
danhiggins1002

Postby sumsmeister » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:23 am

danhiggins1002 wrote:That sounds like a fantastic idea! Dwi'n JEALOUS yn fawr! :dafad:

THIS might help...
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby danhiggins1002 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:55 am

Diolch yn fawr/Thank you very much Gary!
Dwi'n hoffi coffi
danhiggins1002

Postby Dee » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:28 am

One of my long list of ambitions is to walk the entire way around Wales ... but it might have to wait until I retire :roll:

Make sure you let us know when you near Cardiff and you'll be sure of a big welcome from the little band of SSiWers here :D
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Wil-ab-Eynon » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:28 am

S'mae John,

Here are a few links which might be of interest to you.

There are a number of Welsh learners in the Pembrokeshire area who are slowly walking the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park footpath. I know that many of them are pretty keen walkers and often travel some distance to walk and siarad.

I hope this is of some use, may be the contact numbers and e-mail address are worth a call.

https://www.pgfl.org.uk/portal/lp/Cours ... .aspx?ID=2

http://www.ytiwtor.org/rhifyn9/canolfan ... lewin.html
Wil-ab-Eynon
SSiW Member

Postby RamblingJohn » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Many thanks for all the comments folks, this could be the best hike ever with people to meet.
As having a fixed itinary seems something i never manage i will arrange nearer the time to have my phone number some where on my blog so SSiW members will know where to find it and can send a text as i near their area.
I say send a text as the phone only gets switched on evenings to answer texts, call mother and update my blog, this way a charge will last 2 weeks.

I'm really greatfull for the interest and hope the blog proves interesting in return, anyone one who can just meet or join me for a section of the coast will be a real bonus.

Diolch J.P.
RamblingJohn
SSiW Member

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind