Have a Welsh Encounter outside of Wales | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Have a Welsh Encounter outside of Wales

Postby jPrichard10 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:07 pm

I have been to Wales once, long before I had learned any Welsh. I want to go back something awful, so for those of you in the UK, don't take it for granted!

My girlfriend (not a Welsh speaker, but she'll sometimes tolerate me blabbering at her) is traveling to the UK with her family to see her sister who is studying in Europe. They also want to visit Ireland (they're a family of Murphy's). I am very grateful for the opportunity to travel with them, and it would be unfair for me to try to push them towards a stopover in Wales (okay, I did a little coaxing). This is their family trip that I am fortunate enough to be a part of.

However, I'm still dreaming about having that first conversation in Welsh during this trip. Does anyone have any tips on stumbling into a conversation in Welsh outside of Wales? Or do I have to rely on good luck?
jPrichard10
SSiW Member

Re: Have a Welsh Encounter outside of Wales

Postby JonSais » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:14 pm

There are loads of expat Welsh speakers in England (110,000 according to the Welsh Language Board) and they can often be found at the meetings of Welsh Societies in the bigger towns and cities. There are a number of links to their sites from our group's website www.derbywelshlearnerscircle.blogspot.com . In Nottingham the expats have a monthly 'Bore Coffi - popeth yn Gymraeg' which is very lively. Pob lwc efo'r Gymraeg!

jPrichard10 wrote:I have been to Wales once, long before I had learned any Welsh. I want to go back something awful, so for those of you in the UK, don't take it for granted!

My girlfriend (not a Welsh speaker, but she'll sometimes tolerate me blabbering at her) is traveling to the UK with her family to see her sister who is studying in Europe. They also want to visit Ireland (they're a family of Murphy's). I am very grateful for the opportunity to travel with them, and it would be unfair for me to try to push them towards a stopover in Wales (okay, I did a little coaxing). This is their family trip that I am fortunate enough to be a part of.

However, I'm still dreaming about having that first conversation in Welsh during this trip. Does anyone have any tips on stumbling into a conversation in Welsh outside of Wales? Or do I have to rely on good luck?
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg
JonSais

Postby Sionned » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:38 pm

Also, Jesse, be sure to check the map (link in the grey bar up at the top) to see if there are people near to the places you are going. You might be able to contact a few other SSiW-ers wherever you are (you can send them a message through this forum) to see if you might be able to get together for a cup of coffee or something. You might be surprised - someone where you will be anyway may be dying for a chance to practice with someone else! :D
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby longdehua » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Where exactly are you flying to? If you're passing through London then there is always the London Welsh Centre:

http://www.londonwelsh.org/
Please feel obliged to correct my Welsh ;-)
longdehua
SSiW Member

Postby cap » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:55 pm

If you are going to Ireland too, the main ferry crossing to Dublin from the UK goes from Holyhead in Anglesey (Ynys Mon in Welsh) so you could persuade them to go to Ireland via Wales, stopping off at Bangor or making a short detour to Caernarfon, which has an impressive Castle (which along with other Castles in North Wales is designated a World Heritage Site) and which also happens to be the most Welsh speaking town in Wales, and where you will easily be able to use your Welsh.
cap
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind