Welsh where you’d expect it the very least! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Welsh where you’d expect it the very least!

Postby Iestyn » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:34 pm

Spenny wrote:New Year's Resolution, spend time every night learning Welsh, (erm, starting from...)

Spenny - get some practice sessions down you in the shop. You must have 5 minutes without customers sometime, and it's no problem if someone disturbs you as you listen / speak. And everyone will come to know that you speak Welsh. Bargain!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Rhiannon in Sussex » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Just before Christmas, someone at work (SE England) sent an email to the whole department - "Nadolig llawen a blwyddyn newydd dda". Responses in Welsh (another colleague and me!); Lithuanian and Portuguese .. and English.

Thanks to this seasonal interchange, I've made a new friend at work for cofi and Cymraeg! She's Welsh, a second language speaker (with oodles of patience - I'm on lesson 7!) and very interested in SSIW! Ffantastig!
Rhiannon in Sussex
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:23 pm

:star: That's great news! I hope you both enjoy yourselves and your new language - it'll be fun!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Dee » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:36 am

I was in a meeting in Bracknell yesterday and one of the delegates was from Ankara. She was born in Reading, but lived in France from the age of 6 and has lived in Turkey for the last 15 years. When she heard I was from Wales she asked if I could tell her what "Tisha paned?" meant. I said "Would you like a cup of tea?" and she was delighted. She said she met a Welshman once who told her that, but she was never quite sure if he was joking or not. The only other Welsh she knew was "Dim diolch", so she was very interested in SSiW and said that the next time I meet her she just might be able to speak a bit more. Let's hope so :cool:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind