I don't know if this counts as a breakthrough in trying to s | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

I don't know if this counts as a breakthrough in trying to s

Postby Elinnia » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:14 pm

Last week I went along to a Male voice choir concert. It was brilliant, they sang three of the hymns I have planned for my funeral !!! ( On my last (nasty )birthday, my husband arranged for a choir to come and sing these hymns for me. (do you think he is trying to tell me something!!)
Anyway, after the concert last week, the choir gathered in a nearby pub and I persuaded the friends who were with me to join them.
As you can imagine, it didn't take long for the men to start singing. I asked one of the members of the choir if they could sing something in Welsh. He then asked me " Can you speak Welsh?" I replied "Dwi ddim yn gallu siarad Cymraeg yn iawn ond dwi'n dysgu siarad Cymraeg"

He then spoke to me in English.

After a few songs (and a few glasses of wine!) I ended up talking to another choir member. After a while, the first choir member I had spoken to joined us and said "I thought you said you that you could not speak Welsh yet, but for the last 10 minutes I have been listening to you speaking Welsh with my friend!"

So, what I want to know is; if someone tells you that you have been speaking Welsh, even if you are not aware of it, does this count as a " First Welsh encounter of the nervous kind"? :-?
Elinnia
SSiW Member

Re: I don't know if this counts as a breakthrough in trying to s

Postby cat » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:44 pm

Absolutely!

:llongyf:

Regardless of what was said, and for how long, you had the guts to speak Welsh to a stranger - well done!

Now that the first encounter is out of the way, what's your next challenge?!
cat
SSi Head of Marketing

Postby Cer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:24 am

Yeah, I'd say that counts. Especially if it came so naturally that you weren't aware of it. :party:
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby Elinnia » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:15 am

Cer wrote:Yeah, I'd say that counts. Especially if it came so naturally that you weren't aware of it. :party:

I think my lack of awareness that I was speaking Welsh with a stranger had a lot to do with the amount of wine I had consumed :oops:
Elinnia
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:53 am

Elinnia wrote:After a while, the first choir member I had spoken to joined us and said "I thought you said you that you could not speak Welsh yet, but for the last 10 minutes I have been listening to you speaking Welsh with my friend!"

Wine can be brilliant for triggering these breakthrough moments. Congratulations, you are now a Welsh speaker...:D

From now on, it's just a matter of how often you do it...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Cer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:01 pm

Sounds like the wine just allowed you to approach a stranger and use what you knew how to do.
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby Soap Distant » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:18 pm

Other people have said the same, but it's a complete and utter mystery to me how a learner could possibly speak Welsh and not even realise. :-| That simply doesn't compute in my brain.
Cywirwch fi os gwelwch chi'n dda ~ Correct me please
Soap Distant
SSiW Member

Postby Elinnia » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Soap Distant wrote:Other people have said the same, but it's a complete and utter mystery to me how a learner could possibly speak Welsh and not even realise. :-| That simply doesn't compute in my brain.

I agree with you totally! I can't imagine me ever having the courage to do it again, at least not when I am sober!!
It reminded me of some of the conversations I had with very quiet patients as they were going under or coming out of Anesthesia!! If I referred to these conversations later on they would have no recollection of saying anything !
I have read some of your comments on the forum and it is obvious that your command of the Welsh language is excellent, but I agree with you speaking it is a different thing altogether. I think I have a choice between being able to speak Welsh and having an " Alcohol problem" or staying sober and dumb. :sad:
Elinnia
SSiW Member

Postby roselander » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Brilliant - now I know that I need at least 2 bottles of wine in order to be understood - that's where I was going wrong :D Well done. Which lesson are you on?
Rose
roselander

Postby Elinnia » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:47 pm

roselander wrote:Brilliant - now I know that I need at least 2 bottles of wine in order to be understood - that's where I was going wrong :D Well done. Which lesson are you on?
Rose

Hi Rose
In one way it is good to find someone with the same problem as me, but in reality,(and speaking as a counsellor now!) I know that all of us who are afraid to try and speak Welsh, and not worry about making mistakes all have a bit of a confidence and self- esteem problem. I am sure that I would be able to help anyone else with this problem, but as for myself........!!!!
Anyway, how did you know I had drunk the equivalent of 2 bottles of wine! Were you there? :wink:
Let me know if ever you are ever brave enough to face up to bootcamp, perhaps we could try it together? ( with lots of wine, of course!)
I am on the intermediate course gwers 8 :smile:
Elinnia
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind