Trying some Welsh around the world | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Trying some Welsh around the world

Postby ange » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:20 pm

Like other learners, I was VERY nervous about trying to speak Welsh. But I have been amazed at where in the world I have been pushed into having a go. We were on holiday in The Outer Hebrides and I heard a family speaking Welsh in the dining room at the hotel. It took me a few days to pluck up the courage but eventually I managed "Bore da". They were delighted and very helpful whenever we met. On another occasion we were visiting my brother-law's family in South Africa and I heard English being spoken with an unmistakable Welsh accent. So I struck up a conversation (in English) and was very soon asked "Dach chi'n siarad Cymraeg?" It turned out the lady was a Welsh teacher from Swansea and there I was having a mini conversation in Welsh in the middle of a South African vineyard! Perhaps the wine-tasting helped! My third experience was on a cruise ship in The Far East where I got chatting to a man who had lived in Australia for the last 30 years and was thrilled to be able to use his mother-tongue even if it was with a very faltering learner. The trouble is that on my door-step (Bae Colwyn) if I try a little Welsh in a shop or cafe they panic and rush off to fetch someone who can understand. Then I am left to explain that i am only practising!!
ange

Re: Trying some Welsh around the world

Postby Cer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:30 pm

:lol: Travel more! :wink:
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:47 pm

Three absolutely fantastic little stories there, Andrea - thank you very much indeed for sharing them with us!...:star:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Bryn-Daf » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:09 am

ange wrote: The trouble is that on my door-step (Bae Colwyn) if I try a little Welsh in a shop or cafe they panic and rush off to fetch someone who can understand. Then I am left to explain that i am only practising!!

Ye I live towards Rhuthun it feels like most welsh speakers live outside of Wales at times! I know welsh speakers from France/Switzerland/Japan/Korea/USA/Canada....and met a rare welsh speaker raised through the London Welsh school!
Ac wrth feddwl am fy Nghymru,
Daw llawenydd i'n nghalon i
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind