First free range Welsh encounter | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

First free range Welsh encounter

Postby BekB » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:40 am

I thought I'd write to mention my first 'proper', free range Welsh encounter (by free range I meant outside of the confines of day school or the home).

It happened in Leeds (of all places!).

I recently attended a course with work and during the course meal I was sat by a chap who came from Wrecsam. I mentioned the Welsh language and he said he spoke Welsh. So, I proceed to tell him (yn gymraeg wrth cwrs) that I was a Welsh learner living in the valleys in South Wales. This was met with a very blank expression followed by the comment "I only do conversational Welsh" ( methinks he wasn't expecting a mere Hwntw to know anything!). He then hastily passed me on to his collegue with the words " we've got one of those here, you can speak to her" :shock: . I asked (yn gymraeg) whether he spoke Welsh. He said (yn gymraeg) that he spoke Welsh, very well and that he spoke proper Welsh. Cheeky, sadly I didn't have any witty retort (suggestions welcomed). He wasn't very interested in engaging any further, which was a shame.

So, a very limited experience but I was proud that I had the confidence to try a little Welsh and did so without thinking.
Corrections welcomed!
BekB
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Glyn Ebwy

Re: First free range Welsh encounter

Postby Tahl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:50 am

BekB wrote:So, a very limited experience but I was proud that I had the confidence to try a little Welsh and did so without thinking.

Llongyfarchiadau, not just for trying out your Welsh in the wild, but for taking away that pride in yourself. You definitely should be proud!

I'd like to have a word with those two guys, though, because they should not be proud of themselves, because sounds like they gave you a pretty cold response -- cold enough that I am wondering if their Welsh really is as good as they claimed. Honestly, one guy saying 'sorry, I speak too conversationally to talk to you' and the other implying 'sorry, I speak too well to talk to you'? Not okay. :evil:
Image
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
User avatar
Tahl
SSiW Angel
 
Posts: 5923
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:40 am
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, USA
Real name:: Diane

Re: First free range Welsh encounter

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:59 am

Tahl wrote:
BekB wrote:So, a very limited experience but I was proud that I had the confidence to try a little Welsh and did so without thinking.

Llongyfarchiadau, not just for trying out your Welsh in the wild, but for taking away that pride in yourself. You definitely should be proud!

I'd like to have a word with those two guys, though, because they should not be proud of themselves, because sounds like they gave you a pretty cold response -- cold enough that I am wondering if their Welsh really is as good as they claimed. Honestly, one guy saying 'sorry, I speak too conversationally to talk to you' and the other implying 'sorry, I speak too well to talk to you'? Not okay. :evil:

Seconded. What on Earth is "conversational Welsh" if not Welsh? :wow: And as for the other guy, did he only speak literary Welsh?

Regardless of that, well done! Maybe you just overawed them with your Welsh :lol:
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
User avatar
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:46 pm
Location: Stockport, Lloegr
Real name:: Peter

Re: First free range Welsh encounter

Postby BekB » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:03 pm

RedGreenInBlue wrote:[Seconded. What on Earth is "conversational Welsh" if not Welsh? :wow: And as for the other guy, did he only speak literary Welsh?



I think the dig was because I'm Hwntw ! :wink:
Corrections welcomed!
BekB
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Glyn Ebwy

Re: First free range Welsh encounter

Postby Aran » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:50 pm

The first guy was a fake, pure and simple, and was embarrassed that you caught him out in his bluff.

The second guy just sounds like a plonker - or just possibly the kind of socially inept buffoon who thinks that joking with a learner about them not speaking 'proper Welsh' might somehow turn out to be funny. My money's on plonker, though.

So you've used Welsh, in the wild, with a couple of idiots abroad - you can't get a fiercer baptism than that, and you've come through it with flying colours!...:star:

Keep up your positive attitude, and it won't be long at all until you find some of the huge number of Welsh speakers who will be delighted by the effort you're making...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
User avatar
Aran
SSi CEO
 
Posts: 16971
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:52 pm
Real name:: Aran!

Re: First free range Welsh encounter

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:45 pm

BekB wrote:I think the dig was because I'm Hwntw ! :wink:

Ohhh… I get it now. :oops: Dw i bach yn araf heddiw, mae'n ymddangos!

But that reminds me - I was reading something interesting about this Hwntw vs. "proper" thing recently. I'll post it in General, rather than hijack your thread :smile:
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
User avatar
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:46 pm
Location: Stockport, Lloegr
Real name:: Peter

Re: First free range Welsh encounter

Postby sumsmeister » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:36 pm

Aran wrote:The first guy was a fake, pure and simple, and was embarrassed that you caught him out in his bluff.

The second guy just sounds like a plonker - or just possibly the kind of socially inept buffoon who thinks that joking with a learner about them not speaking 'proper Welsh' might somehow turn out to be funny. My money's on plonker, though.

Why don't you say what you really mean, Aran? Oh, you did!
Bek: you were superb! At least you know that you can speak Welsh and aren't worried about having a go! Hope you thoroughly enjoyed the thrill of getting over a hurdle! :star:
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
User avatar
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel
 
Posts: 2785
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Portsmouth. Y Lloegr.
Real name:: Gari

Re: First free range Welsh encounter

Postby Iestyn » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:35 pm

Witty retort (to "I speak a lot of Welsh...") = "So you'll know what the Welsh is for plonker then...

However, unfortunately, I think there's a good chance that you won;t get a chance to use it, because that level of plonkerdom is pretty rare - I'm guessing that this one was probably showing off in front of his friend - so your next Welsh encounter will be far more positive.

But let's not let the little negative take away from the massive step that you have taken as a Welsh speaker. Being handed on from one person to the next and dealing with it shows me that your Welsh is "off-the-cuff", rather than the slavishly pre-planned kind. While we all pre-plan to an extent, even in our first language, being able to adapt and react is the sign of a comfortable speaker.

:seren:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
User avatar
Iestyn
SSi CFO
 
Posts: 4374
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:33 pm
Location: Llandysul, Ceredigion
Real name:: Iestyn

Re: First free range Welsh encounter

Postby Cer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:19 pm

" we've got one of those here, you can speak to her" :shock: .

Oh, my goodness! One of "those." Welsh-speaker, perhaps? Totally in agreement with everyone else - a couple of jerks. By now, I'd expect you'll be laughing about their self-important (and totally misplaced!) pomposity.

Thinking about all of this "conversational Welsh" and all that "very well" and "proper Welsh." Could they mean that they don't actually talk like real people, only like something out of a lesson book? (I'm making a dig at those two guys because they really were rude. As my mother always used to say, maybe they're just jealous.)
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
User avatar
Cer
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:01 am
Location: Lexington, SC, U.S.A.
Real name:: Ceridwen

Re: First free range Welsh encounter

Postby llanfairfach » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Stupidity like this could really destroy someone's confidence, but you seem to have brushed it off like a trooper. Good for you.

I just cannot understand this sort of attitude and I hope Karma smacks them in the face like a wet fish. They probably had a puncture on the way home.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh.

Finished Lesson 22 Course 3 (Northern).
User avatar
llanfairfach
SSiW Member
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:38 pm





 


Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron