Galwad ffôn yn Gymraeg! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Galwad ffôn yn Gymraeg!

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:53 am

I mentioned elsewhere that I've booked accommodation for the Parti Penblwydd SSiW in Aberystwyth. I just wanted to say that I'd been putting it off for a few days before daring to pick up the phone, because I felt I ought to do this phone call in Welsh if possible.

Anyway, I called the gwesty, and after initially lapsing Into English, managed to say when I wanted to stay "yr unfed ar hugain o Ionawr, am un nos" and diolch i'r drefn, the owner understood - "nos Sadwrn?" meddai hi :D

Unfortunately at that moment I got cut off and had to ring her back. And I don't quite know where it came from, but I was saying, "sori, fi oedd ar y ffôn munud yn ôl - wnaeth rwydwaith fy ffôn symudol ddiflannu!" (well, I'm fairly sure that's what came out) and then I sort of panicked a bit and had to switch to English. But she was very nice about it, and said that she has admiration for learners because Welsh is so difficult to learn. I have to admit I was tempted to say, "But it's not!" But I thought I wouldn't argue with someone who sounded so nice and who let me practise my Welsh on her! And I'm sure she'll hear about SSiW sooner or later…
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Re: Galwad ffôn yn Gymraeg!

Postby Dee » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:05 am

:seren: That is seriously brave! I think it is so much harder to speak another language on the phone when you dont have all the visual clues and body language to help you. Brilliant!
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Iestyn » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:57 am

Exactly what Dee said!

Da iawn ti - you have set the marker for visiting now, and it will be far easier for you to bully such a lovely lady into speaking Welsh with you while you stay with her.
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby vgh50 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:02 am

I agree with Dee, Peter, that's quite an incredible milestone you've reached to have the confidence to speak to a total stranger...on the phone!! :shock:

Brilliant, I'm in bewildered awe of your achievement!! I thought I was quite close to your level of Welsh, but now I think not...very impressive!! :clap:

:ardderchog:
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby TygerC » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:06 am

Really awesome. I still stress every time I have to call somewhere and speak English...
Dogs have owners, cats have staff.
me@twitter, blog, g+, susanna.sorvali@Skype
#Believe in Sherlock
TygerC
SSiW Member

Postby Bryn-Daf » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:54 am

Gwesty'r Marine Per chance?
Ac wrth feddwl am fy Nghymru,
Daw llawenydd i'n nghalon i
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:50 am

Speaking on the phone is the single most difficult task in a learnt language - well, simultaneous translation aside...:wink:

I can remember being very uncomfortable on the phone for a long, long time after I was completely relaxed in face-to-face conversations - as Dee says, all those non-verbal clues are such a huge help, being without them is like having the stabilisers taken off your bike without warning...:)

Felly, llongyfarchiadau mawrion mawr i ti!...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks for all your replies! I should point out that (a) I only dared ring after reading on the forum that the owner was nice and friendly (unlike BekB's experience!), and (b) I had to draw up a list of useful words, e.g. "book", "available", "how much", "bathroom".

Oh, and before the phone call I decided that I wasn't going to say that I was learning Welsh, and just neidio i fewn - but I just couldn't stop myself saying "sori, dw i'n dysgu'r Gymraeg"! (Is it an English thing to apologise for learning another language? :lol: )
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:44 pm

The thing is Peter, is that you can probably dispense with the "Learner" tag, because you're an improver and will only get better!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby my_cat_silky » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:25 pm

I agree, Peter, that you can definitely dispense with the "learner" tag (not that being a learner is anything to be ashamed of, and of course we are always learning all our lives - I still come across English words I hadn't known existed! :wink: ). Yet if our recent conversations are anything to go by, you are well at the advanced end of the learning scale, I would say! And well done for having the courage to speak on the phone - I found that even when speaking face to face with Welsh speakers, I was sorely tempted to shift back into Saesneg, and I imagine it would be even more tempting to do so on the phone when you can't see who you are talking to! The fact that this lovely lady clearly understood you must have given you a real thrill, I imagine, and you were no doubt thinking to yourself afterwards that you were glad you had taken such a huge step in speaking to a perfect stranger on the phone, because now you know that you will be able to do it again! :D
my_cat_silky
SSiW Member

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind