Llanberis-Bangor bus | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Llanberis-Bangor bus

Postby Y Graig » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:03 pm

In my first attempt at speaking Welsh with a total stranger, I approached a woman working at a cafe in Llanberis to find out where the bus for Bangor went from.

Having been doing a Cwrs Pellach trwy'r post (distance learning course) from Bangor University I summoned my best Gog accent and said 'Dach chi' byw yn Llanberis?' Following an answer in the affirmative I mumbled something about a bus stop and Bangor. She *must* have known I wasn't local/fluent in Welsh but she carried on in Welsh, asking me where I wanted to go. I understood that much so I said Bangor and she told me where to get the bus. It helped a lot that she also pointed out the bus stop, not 100m down the road!

I was buzzing for ages afterwards.
Y Graig

Re: Llanberis-Bangor bus

Postby Aran » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:11 pm

Excellent work - congratulations!...:D

:party:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Emma Reese » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:38 pm

S'mae, y Graig!! I was in Llanberis only weeks ago! I rode the bus to Bangor too. Was the cafe you mentioned Pete's Eat? I always ordered food in Welsh too. A teen age boy who was taking orders in English who didn't appear to be a native speaker was indeed Cymro Cymraeg to my amazement. I've done Cwrs Pellach too and I'm almost done with Meistroli. I met Nia in Bangor. Where about do you live?
Emma Reese

Postby Y Graig » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:58 pm

Dw i'n byw yng Nghaerdydd. Ond ro'n i'n byw yn Rhydychen pan wnes i ddechreu'r Cwrs Pellach.

I haven't done much of it all lately, to my shame, because I'm having weekly lessons in work!
Y Graig

Postby SparkyCola » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:32 pm

That's impressive pluck, da iawn! :clap: I'm sure it gets easier the more you do it.

Sparky
SparkyCola
SSiW Angel

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind