First ever conversation in Welsh!! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

First ever conversation in Welsh!!

Postby caspian.merlin » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:18 pm

I work in a petrol station on the A361, which is the main road connecting North Devon to the rest of the world (I actually did my last day today, which was quite sad :cry: , but I'll probably go back in the Christmas holidays when I'm back from uni).
Anyway, quite a lot of Welsh people call in, since that's the road that will eventually take them back to Cymru from their holiday down in sunny Devon (yes, I'm being sarcastic :D )
So, today I felt quite embarrassed when this man came in, and asked if I sold 'cork'. Cork? No... This is a petrol station. He was actually saying 'Coke' :oops: very embarrassing for me!

Well, he had a Welsh accent, so I asked if he was from Wales, and if he spoke Welsh (in English, because I didn't want to embarrass myself further if he wasn't a Welsh speaker!) Anyway, he said 'yes' to both of those, so I tentatively asked 'Wyt t'in medru deall beth dw i'n dweud?'. The funniest thing was that he didn't seem at all surprised, he just said 'Yndw, t'in dysgu?' without being at all surprised! :cool:

I then said 'Yndw, dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg ond dw i ddim yn siarad o yn dda iawn' - then he told me I spoke it well, and asked me in English where I'd learnt it (Of course I told him!) - then he said something else in Welsh which I didn't understand, so he repeated it in English: 'You've forgotten to give me my change! :lol:

Anyway, by this point there was a queue forming, so he had to move on - but he seemed pleased, just not surprised, that I was learning Welsh! Definitely a positive encounter anyway, it's really satisfying actually to be understood the first time I try it with someone other than myself!
Please correct my Welsh if you see a mistake :D
caspian.merlin

Re: First ever conversation in Welsh!!

Postby Tahl » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:36 pm

caspian.merlin wrote:Well, he had a Welsh accent, so I asked if he was from Wales, and if he spoke Welsh (in English, because I didn't want to embarrass myself further if he wasn't a Welsh speaker!) Anyway, he said 'yes' to both of those, so I tentatively asked 'Wyt t'in medru deall beth dw i'n dweud?'. The funniest thing was that he didn't seem at all surprised, he just said 'Yndw, t'in dysgu?' without being at all surprised! :cool:

I then said 'Yndw, dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg ond dw i ddim yn siarad o yn dda iawn' - then he told me I spoke it well, and asked me in English where I'd learnt it (Of course I told him!) - then he said something else in Welsh which I didn't understand, so he repeated it in English: 'You've forgotten to give me my change! :lol:

Fantastic -- good on you for grabbing the opportunity! A positive experience out of it, plus a good story with a twist at the end. What more could you ask for, really? :cool: Your Welsh must sound quite polished, for him to have continued on with his comment about the change. Da iawn ti!
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Cer » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:37 pm

'You've forgotten to give me my change! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby Gelis » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:25 am

:ardderchog: :seren:

Love your name by the way... :cool:
>^.^<
Gelis
SSiW Member

Postby vgh50 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:01 am

That's a brilliant story and funny too :lol:

Well done for taking the plunge, there'll be no stopping you now :D
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:49 am

:seren:

Superb. I love the thought of him not being particularly surprised - maybe it was Iestyn...:wink:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby crystaltipps65 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:48 pm

caspian.merlin wrote:So, today I felt quite embarrassed when this man came in, and asked if I sold 'cork'. Cork? No... This is a petrol station. He was actually saying 'Coke' :oops: very embarrassing for me!

That reminds me of an experience back in 1985, when I went to Oxford to see Tangerine Dream, and my sister and a friend picked me up from Oxford railway station (from Carmarthen) and then took me to a lovely country pub.

I asked for diet coke, the guy behind the bar asked 'you won wot?' a diet coke please I answered, he still couldn't understand me. So I said 'coca cola or pepsi'...'Oh you mean caoke!" Yes but diet I said, he didn't understand that either... ok, "slimming?' 'ah right got you' the bar man said, then he asked 'won oice?'... want what? I asked, 'oice' he repeated, and I said 'ah you mean ice'! and finally got my drink!

Its hard to believe that we were speaking the same language!
On lesson 20 course 2 - south
Started cwrs Canolradd Dwys
follow me @gwalltgwyllt on twitter!
crystaltipps65
SSiW Member

Postby vgh50 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:38 pm

crystaltipps65 wrote:I asked for diet coke, the guy behind the bar asked 'you won wot?' a diet coke please I answered, he still couldn't understand me. So I said 'coca cola or pepsi'...'Oh you mean caoke!" Yes but diet I said, he didn't understand that either... ok, "slimming?' 'ah right got you' the bar man said, then he asked 'won oice?'... want what? I asked, 'oice' he repeated, and I said 'ah you mean ice'! and finally got my drink!

Its hard to believe that we were speaking the same language!

That's brillaint, I love it hahaha :lol:

Try speaking Welsh next time Tricia, you might have more luck being understood :wink:
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:13 pm

Brilliant first conversation!

And that coke story reminds me of when I was just turned 20 and working at the Pleasure Beach in Blackpool. I was newly arrived from New Zealand with a Kiwi accent and I was on a stall selling snacks. If someone asked for coke, I had to ask if they wanted it in a can or a cup. With my accent the only way to make myself understood was to hold up a can and a cup as I said it in a sort of little dance. This highly amused the Scots that came down for Glasgow Weekend. Not only did I have a huge queue in front of me, while the other girl had no one to serve, but they all asked for coke then fell about laughing at my accent and actions. It was all good-natured though, and I don't think the stall had ever sold so much coke. :D
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby WillowFae » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Wow - what a brilliant first conversation! Talk about seizing the moment :D
WillowFae

Please feel free to correct my Welsh :oops: :help:

:beth:
WillowFae

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind