AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Elinnia » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:26 pm

I forgot to mention that I studied Greek and Biblical Hebrew at university. I had a First Class Honours but can't remember any Hebrew and Greek today!!! :sad:
Elinnia
SSiW Member

Postby Soap Distant » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:43 am

Elinnia wrote:
Haha, it's a fair question honestly. I think it's more thaat I like being "face to face" with the language, and as I'm living in welsh wales I leapt at the oppertunity. If I hadn't come here though I would have been straight onto the intermediate SSiW course, and may still do so at some point.

I am so envious of you being confident enough to want to talk "face to face" with welsh speakers. I produce amazing welsh when I talk to myself or inanimate objects(I mean the computer not Iestyn! :smile: ) but seem to panic when I am with a Welsh speaker.

This is sadly very, very familiar to me, too.
Cywirwch fi os gwelwch chi'n dda ~ Correct me please
Soap Distant
SSiW Member

Postby sambrown1993 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Thought I'd update everyone with how my first lesson on Wednesday went...

The short version is "yn dda iawn!"

We revised the present tense (which was easy) and learnt some new words - like "carafan" and "parrot" haha Next week is past tense, then into the realms of the unknown! I'll deffinitly be getting involved with the SSiW Intermediate course (when I get the funds).

Diolch yn fawr i bawb!
Wel, mae 'na broblem efo'r cynaniad yn ddechrau! :dafad:

sambrown1993
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:47 pm

Brilliant - I had a sneaking suspicion that you might find it fairly unchallenging. Are you the most talkative in the class?

A word of warning: you may find that they make the past tense in a different way to us. Don't worry, because while you are trying to master the more complicated way (much nicer, I think, but far more complicated) for use in writing, and exams if you are going along that route, you will be able to use the SSiW way to say what you want in informal situations, while your classmates are wondering which bits to lop of or add to satisfy the grammar.

I'm only warning you to save you any shocks, and so that you don;t let anyone tell you that the way you do it now is wrong. I'm pretty certain that with your grouning in Welsh from your hard work on the introductory course, you will take it all easily in your stride!

Great news that you enjoyed it, make sure you keep on enjoying it.
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby sambrown1993 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:17 pm

Haha, yeah, I've had a look through the massive "wlpan" folder and it's written in a way I haven't yet seen - Suprisingly the most talkative person in the class is a Slovacian girl who did the beginners wlpan last year, there's also a girl who can speak south walian but can't write a word :S

It's all very exciting haha ;)

sambrown1993
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:51 pm

Sam, I'm not very comfortable with the idea of someone who has finished Course 1, has gone to university in a Welsh-speaking area, is doing a Welsh class there, and doesn't have the funds to access Course 2.

How about we give you access now, and you pay us what you can when you can? Now is obviously the right time for you to be pushing on with Course 2, not somewhere down the line when you have money.
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby gerryf » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:25 pm

I second that idea :smile:
gerryf
SSiW Member

Postby Cer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:34 am

Third.
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby sambrown1993 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:17 am

Diolch yn dda am y cynnig Aran, ond mae o'n iawn. Mae gen i fy menthyg rwan, felly, dwi'n dylai medru prynu'r cwrs canolradd heno :) Bydda i'n mynd i'r banc i wirio dwbl yn nes ymlaen.

Having had the first little push I now have the confidence to even post in welsh haha :S (even if it doesn't quite make sense)

sambrown1993
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:01 am

Mae dy Gymraeg di yn wych!

I think you're going to impress a lot of people on here, and come to mind when they hear stereotypically negative things about students - since they've seen you be offered membership without paying, and turn the offer down. You sound like a very honourable man, Sam, and it's a pleasure and a privilege to have you studying with us...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind