AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby vgh50 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:03 am

SJ wrote:Combining the SSiW Intermediate Course and the Intermediate classroom course means you'll be a welsh speaker and part of the Bangor Welsh speaking community in no time! :D

I agree 100% with SJ, combining SSiW - the course and the daily speaking and listening practices with the classroom course will give you a huge advantage!

I really admire your determination and desire to speak your Welsh, that was a very inpiring post. I look forward to hearing how you get on as you progress through the semester. :smile:

Brilliant :star:
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby gwiwer » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:25 am

Sam, you are going to be very pleasantly surprised in your first welsh class. You will definately be far more comfortable and confident with the language than anyone who hasn't studied with SSiW.
Enjoy, the fun is just beginning.
"a tree-climbing rodent of taste and distinction"
gwiwer
SSiW Member

Postby caspian.merlin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:00 am

Llongyfarchiadau!!! :D

Hope you enjoy it!
Please correct my Welsh if you see a mistake :D
caspian.merlin

Postby sumsmeister » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:09 am

Sam, that's superb! Good luck with the lessons - I'm sure you will make good progress and I am looking forward to reading more from you. Pob lwc!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby Aran » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:57 am

You've done excellently to get as far as you have, Sam - the real key to cracking it from here on it will be for you to try and make one or two friends who are Welsh-speakers, and refuse to speak English with them - if you do that, by the end of your first year no-one will believe you haven't been speaking Welsh for years...:)

Is there a reason why you haven't gone on to Course 2? To be a bit blunt (sorry!), is it that you don't want to, or is it that you can't afford to?
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby sambrown1993 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Diolch yn fawr everyone for the encouraging words of wisdom, the class seems much less daunting now - I start next wednesday,(today I was in lectures at 12, though I won't be next week) and I got the impression that it doesn't start until next week anyway :P

Aran wrote:Is there a reason why you haven't gone on to Course 2? To be a bit blunt (sorry!), is it that you don't want to, or is it that you can't afford to?

Haha, it's a fair question honestly. I think it's more thaat I like being "face to face" with the language, and as I'm living in welsh wales I leapt at the oppertunity. If I hadn't come here though I would have been straight onto the intermediate SSiW course, and may still do so at some point.

SSiW is a great way to leanrn and I've recomending it to all my friends who are considering the language but don't have time for classroom lessons :)

I've been picking up vocab from around the town today, but so far I only have "sbwriel" and "llyfrgell" haha. I know of a few shops where the patrons speak welsh (and a couple of pubs of course) so I'll impress my house meates when we next go out!
Wel, mae 'na broblem efo'r cynaniad yn ddechrau! :dafad:

sambrown1993
SSiW Member

Postby vgh50 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:49 am

sambrown1993 wrote:Haha, it's a fair question honestly. I think it's more thaat I like being "face to face" with the language, and as I'm living in welsh wales I leapt at the oppertunity. If I hadn't come here though I would have been straight onto the intermediate SSiW course, and may still do so at some point.

Sam, how often will you have a Welsh class?

I think I'd be tempted to combine the class with the SSiW Intermediate lesson, which comes with daily speaking and listening practices for the whole of the Introductory course. This way you'd be constantly revising the material that you have learnt and learning more ways to 'speak' Welsh very naturally and getting great listening practice too - which is the hardest part!

I've heard so many times on this forum that people can 'speak' Welsh after 3 - 6 months better than someone who has been learning with a traditional course for 2 - 3 years!

I would love to do a classroom course if there was one near to where I lived where I could improve my writing etc , but I wouldn't stop doing the SSiW course because I think they've hit on something very special. A teaching method to get people 'speaking' Welsh...that works!

However, you do whatever feels right for you - whatever you choose to do, I hope you'll come back here and let us know how you're getting on.

All the very best for the course - pob lwc!! :smile:

Vaughan
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:05 am

I know I'm a little biased - but the thing is, Sam, Course 1 has taken you from scratch to convincing tutors that they should put you straight into an intermediate class (where you will probably turn out to be one of the more confident speakers) very quickly indeed - now, that class and the opportunities to speak Welsh in Bangor (particularly if you deliberately make some Welsh-speaking friends) will certainly get you there - but in combination with our Course 2, they'll get you there a heck of a lot sooner...:)

If it's a finance thing, let me know, and we can try to sort something out.
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby sambrown1993 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:51 am

vgh50 wrote:Sam, how often will you have a Welsh class?

I'll have 2 hours a week in lesseons, and I'm trying to find the Bangor Uni welsh learners society to join them as well - though I can't find any information about that anywhere! :S

Once I've been to the first lesson (or two) and know how hard or easy it will be I will deffinitley try the SSiW intermediate course, I live in english speaking halls so being able to hear the welsh would be really useful.

I've been attempting to understand BBC Radio Cymru and have been speaking with other welsh learners from around the site and they're all really amazed as well :) (I'm apparently better than someone who's first language 'til secondary school was welsh - though I find that hard to believe! :O) Haha
Wel, mae 'na broblem efo'r cynaniad yn ddechrau! :dafad:

sambrown1993
SSiW Member

Postby Elinnia » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Haha, it's a fair question honestly. I think it's more thaat I like being "face to face" with the language, and as I'm living in welsh wales I leapt at the oppertunity. If I hadn't come here though I would have been straight onto the intermediate SSiW course, and may still do so at some point.

I am so envious of you being confident enough to want to talk "face to face" with welsh speakers. I produce amazing welsh when I talk to myself or inanimate objects(I mean the computer not Iestyn! :smile: ) but seem to panic when I am with a Welsh speaker.

I did Mynediad 1 course last year and am starting Mynediad 2 next week.....but if there was a choice between these courses and SSIW there would be no competition..... SSIW would win every time :clap:

I know I am not in a position to advise you on anything( I am only on lesson 2 of course 2) but from my experience I would really recommend that you carry on with SSIW.

I am looking forward to starting Mynediad 2 next week and saying to my Tiwtor "Sai'n gallu siarad cymraeg yn iawn" instead of "Dwi ddim yn gallu siarad cymraeg yn iawn". Iestyn told us that a welsh speaker would be really impressed with this form of welsh speaking. And I believe him!!!!! :wink: .

Good luck with your university course.
Last edited by Elinnia on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elinnia
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind