AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby sambrown1993 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:19 pm

So last weekend I moved into my halls at Prifysgol Bangor - studying Almaeneg - and today I had to go to the module fair to pick my extra's for my course. Well, naturally I wanted to see what welsh I could do, so toddled off to the School of Welsh desk to ask what course I'd be suited for. The man at the desk said that I'd be better suited to the "School of life long learning" so I went over and met a lovely lady - I didn't get her name though - I told her I'd been doing an "online" course over the summer and that I'd like to continue in a more formal classroom environment. She asked which course I'd "studied" and I was quite shocked to find that she knew about SSiW.

Then came the question I was dreading "Could you speak some welsh to me?" - you have to bear in mind here that until this point I'd only ever used welsh on myself, the interweb, and people who know none of the language - I nervously uttered "Dwi'n trio siarad Cymraeg, ond dwi'n meddwl, dwi ddim yn da iawn." Her and the lady sat next to her looked astounded - and I myself was taken aback quite a bit, they understood me! - After some further discussion, we decided that I would be perfectly suited to an intermediate course which runs for two hours every wednesday.

NExt came what was for me the most embarrasing part, she asked me "Beth eich enw chi?", it was a loud room and I didn't quite hear what she said and without thinking I said "entschuldigung" - in the words of a certain Mr Simpson "Do'H!" - I put this down to me having never spoken a foreign language like this other than german, but she didn't hear, so I felt a little better.

Now all I have to do is revise everything I can in the next 6 days to prepare myself for wednesday, apparently we'll be revising the present tense, so that should be easy - I'm REALLY scared now!

And there we go, my first, nervous, experience using Welsh.

Now comes the hard bit...
Wel, mae 'na broblem efo'r cynaniad yn ddechrau! :dafad:

sambrown1993
SSiW Member

Re: AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Cer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Scared: Keeps the mind sharp. Gives a rush. Turns on the instinct. You're going to have a great semester! :ardderchog:

And, you can always come here to ask questions.
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby gerryf » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:03 pm

Fantastic :clap: :clap: Congratulations on being put into the intermediate group. I'm sure that in combination with SSIW you will forge ahead.
gerryf
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:18 pm

Hold on, Sam - now comes the hard bit? You used Welsh for the first time in a crowded, noisy environment where you had to get actual information across?

You couldn't have chosen a more challenging way to have your first Welsh conversation! From here on in, it's going to seem easier and easier...:D

What lesson have you got to, by the way? I'd say that was a hell of a gutsy thing to do even for someone who's finished Course 1...:star:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby sambrown1993 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:36 pm

I've gotten through all of the introductory course and the other vocab units from the begginners course and a lot of my own time and effort too - I had to do something with my summer after all ;)

I have a feeling that there will be quite a lot of vocab that I still "don't know", but I'm hoping an understanding teacher may help me get past anything I'm not too sure on (I've mastered bbc gcse bitesize haha). If it does get a bit over whelming I should easily be able to change onto the beginners course, but by the sounds of it I have enough to get through the course easily enough, but my peer guide did a beginners welsh course last year, and I seem to know more grammar than him

:P - I've already found two mistakes in "published" welsh around my halls and the town - mutations and accents being left out and so on. - I may correct them with a sharpie whilst noone's looking.

In all honesty I never expected SSiW to so so much for me, just the basics of "Bore da" and "Sut wyt ti?", it's amazing! (and has also saved me from having to learn french or spanish this year)

I'm frantically revising everything now, just to make sure I'll be on my best form next wednesday! - I still can't believe it! :D

sambrown1993
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:53 pm

That is stunning, Sam - well done on having the guts and determination, and I'm glad that your hard work paid off!

I think that you will find that all the other people on the Intermediate course know a lot more Welsh than you, but that you speak far more than any of them. This means that while they are nervously trying to remember the exact rule that controls the tense of the mutated verb that they are trying to remember, you will already have answered the question and be moving on to more interesting subjects...!

In other words, don't worry (the SSiW way!), you are a Welsh speaker who needs to learn a bit more about the language, whereas many (all?) of your class mates will be Welsh learners. You will make mistakes and there will be gaps in your knowledge, but no-one else will notice because they will be so impressed by what you do know. Follow their lead, be impressed at yourself (you definitely deserve that!), and enjoy every second of your new language.

:seren:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby sambrown1993 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:54 am

Iestyn wrote:In other words, don't worry (the SSiW way!), you are a Welsh speaker who needs to learn a bit more about the language, whereas many (all?) of your class mates will be Welsh learners. You will make mistakes and there will be gaps in your knowledge, but no-one else will notice because they will be so impressed by what you do know. Follow their lead, be impressed at yourself (you definitely deserve that!), and enjoy every second of your new language.

:seren:

I never really thought about it that way, it takes some of the preassure off :)

I'm going to try using my welsh around the town this weeekend (if I get a chance) to build some more confidence, but i'm really really really really looking forward to it more and more as every second passes :D

sambrown1993
SSiW Member

Postby Spenny » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:04 am

sambrown1993 wrote:I'm going to try using my welsh around the town this weeekend (if I get a chance) to build some more confidence, but i'm really really really really looking forward to it more and more as every second passes :D

The trick is to retain a sense of humour - life will go on if you do not mutate or even if you are entirely misunderstood. There is something special about being a Welsh learner - the vast majority of the Welsh speaking community see learners as an asset not a nuisance.
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Postby RobertBruce » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:11 am

Spenny wrote:
sambrown1993 wrote:I'm going to try using my welsh around the town this weeekend (if I get a chance) to build some more confidence, but i'm really really really really looking forward to it more and more as every second passes :D

The trick is to retain a sense of humour - life will go on if you do not mutate or even if you are entirely misunderstood. There is something special about being a Welsh learner - the vast majority of the Welsh speaking community see learners as an asset not a nuisance.

And you never get into that really awkward situation where the person you're speaking to is desperately trying to practice their English on you at the same time that you're trying to practice their language. :lol:
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby SJ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:19 am

Llongyfarchiadau Sam!!! :clap:

I hope you really really enjoy your first classroom welsh lesson today. As others have said you may struggle with vocab, and maybe reading/writing depending on how much experience of that you've had, but you'll be streets ahead with your speaking ability.

Combining the SSiW Intermediate Course and the Intermediate classroom course means you'll be a welsh speaker and part of the Bangor Welsh speaking community in no time! :D
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind