First conversation! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

First conversation!

Postby Greenwick » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:15 am

I met up with Buddug today, after a previous failed attempt to do so. I was a bit too nervous, so not too much spoken in Welsh today. (Even after extensive reviewing of lessons, most of the Welsh flew right out of my head.) We discussed a lot about what we've been learning, though, and that was a lot of fun. We'll be meeting again next week, and hopefully having better luck with the conversation.
Mae fy nghath yn brathu'r seren!

Please correct my Welsh as willing and able! :D Diolch yn fawr iawn!
Currently working on: Course 2, lesson 23
Greenwick
SSiW Member

Re: First conversation!

Postby Iestyn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:28 am

Great news, Greenwick! Sometimes it's far more important to "make a connection" on your first meet-up than it is to use every Welsh sentence that you've learned, so connections made, and you can relax next time.

Remember, there is no such thing as "a bit of a conversation", a "mini conversation", or any of those other things that we say to play down what we've just achieved. If you spoke some Welsh words and received a reply (or vice versa), then you had a conversation, in a language that you've been learning for, what, 6 months? Most Welsh learners leave it for 3 or 4 years before getting to that stage!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby crystaltipps65 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:11 pm

Well done Greenwick in taking that first bold step, its exhilarating isn't it! :clap:
Keep at it and your confidence will grow!
On lesson 20 course 2 - south
Started cwrs Canolradd Dwys
follow me @gwalltgwyllt on twitter!
crystaltipps65
SSiW Member

Postby bricol » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:39 am

Nes i alw ar y Llandysul fferyllydd bore ma’, a dyn nesa i fi oedd siarad yn Gymraeg i staff. Dw i’n meddwl “dw i’n nabod a pherson hon”. Y person oedd Iestyn. Hynny’n oedd fy sgwrs fach gyntaf yn Gymraeg. Dw i newydd ddechrau gwers hugain cwrs cyntaf.
Cywiro fy Nghymraeg os gwelwch chi’n dda
bricol
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:08 pm

bricol wrote:Nes i alw ar y Llandysul fferyllydd bore ma’, a dyn nesa i fi oedd siarad yn Gymraeg i staff. Dw i’n meddwl “dw i’n nabod a pherson hon”. Y person oedd Iestyn. Hynny’n oedd fy sgwrs fach gyntaf yn Gymraeg. Dw i newydd ddechrau gwers hugain cwrs cyntaf.

Ha! Byd bach go iawn, yndefe? Da iawn, ti. Sgwrs gyntaf o lawer, dw i'n siwr. :D
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Greenwick » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:22 am

I think you're right, Lestyn, and I really ought to stop downplaying how well I know Welsh so far. I don't feel discouraged, but I am probably being too cautious for fear of being overloaded with words I can't understand.

We had another meetup, which was a great deal of fun and very useful. I am finding with the prospect of actually talking to someone, I feel much more motivated while learning.

Inbetween meetups, I've started using phrases to talk to the cat. Mostly things like, Ti eisiau chwarae?; Ti wedi blino; and Ti'n mynd e ddysgin y lawr! Not that he particularly cares, but I like directing my five phrases a day at someone else if I can.
Mae fy nghath yn brathu'r seren!

Please correct my Welsh as willing and able! :D Diolch yn fawr iawn!
Currently working on: Course 2, lesson 23
Greenwick
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:17 am

Hi Greenwick, glad you sound so pleased to have had your first! I love the fact you are trying things out on your cat- I talk to the dog sometimes. I think it helps to do that as you get used to hearing yourself and can feel quite satisfied you sound ok. I sometimes "confirm" to myself the next thing on my agenda, just to feel comfortable describing stuff. Like "prynu bara a siwgr heddiw". Pob lwc - good luck!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby Iestyn » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:47 am

bricol wrote:Nes i alw ar y Llandysul fferyllydd bore ma’, a dyn nesa i fi oedd siarad yn Gymraeg i staff. Dw i’n meddwl “dw i’n nabod a pherson hon”. Y person oedd Iestyn. Hynny’n oedd fy sgwrs fach gyntaf yn Gymraeg. Dw i newydd ddechrau gwers hugain cwrs cyntaf.

Bricol - Dyna oedd dy sgwrs cyntaf di? Wow, mae dy Gymraeg yn dda iawn iawn! :star: :star: Nest ti ddweud dy fod ti wedi dysgu Cymraeg o'r blaen, ac wedi anghofio - wel llongyfarchiadau, mae'r Gymraeg yn dod nôl yn glou iawn. Byddi di'n gyfforddus ymhen dim (ymhen dim = at the end of nothing = very very soon indeed). Da iawn ti!

I would seriously recommend that you get out there and brave the Welsh speaking world, Brian, because you are already within touching distance of being really comfortable. If you are able to pop over to Theatr Mwldan (Aberteifi) on a Friday morning (11.00 I think), there is a lovely group of people there, a combination of learners, and new and from-birth speakers, who meet just to chat over a coffee. It's nice and relaxed. with a mix of Welsh and English being spoken: The bootcampers very often go down there on the Friday (so a week today, they may be there!). Really, break the ice in a safe environment like that, and then get out amongst it, and you will forget that there was ever such a thing as a "first conversation", because your Welsh will become as natural as your English.
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby bricol » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:33 am

Shwmae Iestyn, Dw i’n yn Aberteifi pob dydd OND, bydda i’n cwpla'r cwrs cyntaf cyn i fi ddangos fy wyneb i Bootcampers. Dwi wedi bod cadeirydd o Gymdeithas Tai ers blynyddoedd. The operational language of the association is Cymraeg, it shows how twp I am for not taking advantage of being surrounded by welsh speakers for almost twenty years. The target that I have set myself is; dw i’n bwriadi i fynd yr Eisteddfod Bro Morgannwg blwyddyn nesa a bydda i’n defnyddio dim ond Cymraeg yno. Oedd yn dda i gwrdd i ti ddoe.
Cywiro fy Nghymraeg os gwelwch chi’n dda
bricol
SSiW Member

Postby norafelicity » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Greenwick and Buddug, you both live in Bellingham, right? I'm looking for people here to practice with. This website is pretty hard to navigate. I don't know how to tag you in this, but maybe you'll see it?
norafelicity

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind