A Very Brief Encounter Today! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

A Very Brief Encounter Today!

Postby my_cat_silky » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Pnawn da pawb!
As you can probably imagine, there are virtually nil opportunities to speak Welsh in deepest Hertfordshire...however, I do remember having met a couple who were originally from Wales, although I hadn't seen them for ages. I happened to bump into the wife today during our little town's annual car rally day. I had no idea how much Welsh she could speak, or even if she could speak any at all, but after greeting her, I quickly said before she could turn back to her companion: "Ydach chi'n medru siarad Cymraeg efo fi heddiw?"
She gazed at me and said, "What a good accent you have! Where did you learn to say all that?"
I explained to her that I had been learning Welsh with SSIW since Nadolig.
"But why?" she asked, still astonished.
I told her I simply adored the language and have been visiting Wales for years without actually getting around to learning Welsh, so I was basically making up for lost time!
She explained, rather sadly, that although she understood what I said (which was a relief!), she wasn't able to reply, as her Welsh is so rusty.
Time to refer her to SSIW, I think!
But there you are, I actually got the chance to speak Welsh in the town where I live, without having to wait until I return to Wales again! :gosh:
And diolch yn fawr iawn, Aran and Catrin, for helping to give me an (apparently) good accent! :wink: I certainly would not have got it via learning from a book, which is why the SSIW way works! :cariad:
my_cat_silky
SSiW Member

Re: A Very Brief Encounter Today!

Postby Gelis » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:12 pm

:ardderchog: It must have made your day!... :star:
>^.^<
Gelis
SSiW Member

Postby my_cat_silky » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:19 pm

Diolch, Alison! Yes, I did come home feeling a lot more confident, even though I only spoke one sentence! I can't wait to return to Wales in October and speak a whole lot more! :D
my_cat_silky
SSiW Member

Postby Maynard » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:04 pm

thats cool , you never know when you might get to use your welsh. i had a wonderful opportuntity today too. I was on duty at the hospital and i had a young guy to treat wearing a lovely red welsh dragon tattoo. Ydych chi;n dod o gymru ? I asked and it happened he was from the Llŷn peninsular working for a while in our region. So we had a good chat for a wee while. It made my day !! :D

skype ..maynard.archer - croeso i siarad !
Maynard
SSiW Member

Postby Sionned » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:52 pm

Llongyfarchiadau to both of you! Those sound like lovely encounters and you did very well with them!

:star: :star: :star:
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby sumsmeister » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:44 am

@ Ali:- Have you considered using Skype? It shouldn't be all that difficult to set up on the PC/Laptop and is a good way of trying a bit of spoken Welsh. I live in Hampshire and in kind of the same situation, but I have a (growing) list of contacts and enjoy a good natter, be it all Welsh or just a couple of sentences. I'm becoming more familiar with Southern Welsh as well as Northern, which is an added bonus! Add me as a contact if you would like to: sumsmeister1
Pob Lwc!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby Aran » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:25 am

I love the idea of increasing numbers of Welsh people (who speak the language and who don't) finding themselves in England speaking to English people who want to speak Welsh with them... :cariad:

I honestly think that in the next few years, it could trigger some very real changes in attitude amongst Welsh people...:D

So diolch yn fawr iawn i ti, Alison, for helping build a real future for this lovely old language - because that's exactly what you're doing...:star:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby shak » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:47 pm

What a great thought! I keep having these type of encounters and I started to worry I was embarrassing friends whose Welsh had gone rusty. However, I went to lunch the other day with a mate from Caerdydd who hadn't spoken much since he received his O level certificate at an eisteddfod a million years ago and we dropped in and out of creaky Welsh and it worked really well. It gave me a bit of confidence and got my buddy going too. How good is that? Trouble is, a couple of drinks and the mind drifts. Clearing up after dinner last night, I suddenly shouted above the chat to 9 English and a Scot 'pawb yn barod? Oh, err, sorry, pass the bowls down then'. Stunned silence. Mrs Shak reacted tho ...
Mae hynny'n wir, Louis, mae fy hobi'n llosgi bwriadol
shak
SSiW Member

Postby my_cat_silky » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:09 pm

shak wrote: Clearing up after dinner last night, I suddenly shouted above the chat to 9 English and a Scot 'pawb yn barod? Oh, err, sorry, pass the bowls down then'. Stunned silence. Mrs Shak reacted tho ...

That's brilliant! I constantly shout in Welsh to members of my family (including my cat!) and even though I know they don't understand most of the words, they seem to get the gist of what I'm saying, purely because I find myself doing it so often and they are obviously picking up the relevant vocab! :wink: (Got to get all that Welsh bursting to be said out of me somehow!)

Thank you for your kind and encouraging responses, everyone, and I do look forward to further encounters if possible (even if they only happen once in a blue moon!) And Aran, I am really proud if I am able to help in some way to creating a future for the Welsh language (just as we all are!), as a friend (English!) asked me the other day why I thought the Welsh language should be kept alive, and I hope I was able to give compelling reasons why! :D (even though I am not Welsh and have no Welsh connections at all in my family history! :cry: )
my_cat_silky
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:27 pm

shak wrote:Clearing up after dinner last night, I suddenly shouted above the chat to 9 English and a Scot 'pawb yn barod? Oh, err, sorry, pass the bowls down then'. Stunned silence. Mrs Shak reacted tho ...

Superb!

:seren:

my_cat_silky wrote: And Aran, I am really proud if I am able to help in some way to creating a future for the Welsh language

You are definitely already doing exactly that...:star:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind