My First Organised Meet and Welsh Conversation!! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: My First Organised Meet and Welsh Conversation!!

Postby spanglegem » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi Vaughan,
Really pleased to hear about your breakthrough, I'm still at the 'hiding under tables in case anyone tries to speak to me in Welsh' stage! I'm going to the Scarlets v Rotherham game tomorrow too, and will be watching the game in Y Clwb after with my old man and friends. If I can find my way out from under the table
(which may, or may not be due to shyness if we win!), I'll come and say hello. I can't wait for the season to begin,its been like some kind of hibernation period! Ymlaen Y Scarlets!!
spanglegem
SSiW Member

Postby vgh50 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Iestyn, no problem, I will definately pass on your thanks. :wink:

Thanks Peter, I guess sometimes you just have to close you eyes and jump! :shock:

I agree with Catrin, so if anyone in Somerset fancies a pub lunch or just a quick panad anywhere, then drop me a line :smile:

Mary, tomorrow at Parc Y Scarlets, we will be sitting in the South Stand, as that is the only area open tomorrow - I have booked the two front seats to the far right: Block S11 Row BB Seat 0238.

We'll be watching the Wales vs England game in the family area so feel free to pop over :smile:

Hope to see you!
Last edited by vgh50 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby vgh50 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:50 pm

I keep forgetting to tell you the most important thing that I learnt yesterday!

I am the sort of person that needs to get things right and to work at whatever I'm doing, almost to the point of obsession to get it right as I hate making mistakes and feeling embarrassed. I can be quite a perfectionist.

However, yesterday I learnt that it is OK to make mistakes. It doesn't matter. What is important is that you speak Welsh at every opportunity and have fun. No one cares if I make a mistake, forget a word, use the wrong tense etc. All I have to do is keep speaking Welsh and every day I will get a bit better, but I will probably always make mistakes, so I should start making them as soon as possible and never be afraid to speak with someone again :smile:

Now the pressure is off I can relax and enjoy the journey :party:

Hope that makes some sense :-?

Hwyl
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:27 pm

That makes absolutely perfect sense, Vaughan! Congratulations! You really sound over the moon with your progress, and rightly so! :star:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby spanglegem » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:14 pm

Sorry to have missed you at the game today. I wasn't hiding under the table I promise, we were in S9 and couldn't see over to S11. I did look in Y Clwb at the end of the game, but couldn't see you/recognise you. Not to worry, perhaps we'll meet at another game. What a fab result in both games today, its great to be at the start of a new season with so much promise in our young boys! Hope you and your daughter had a good day.
spanglegem
SSiW Member

Postby vgh50 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:52 am

Don't worry Mary. We were sat in Y Clwb next to the window, second sofa back - so on the right as you walk in. We did leave quite soon after the end of the match. Got home at 7pm.

No doubt we will see each other at another game later in the season - and yes, we had a brilliant time!! Looking forward to a great season. :smile:
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby my_cat_silky » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Noswaith dda Vaughan,
Have only just come across your very inspiring post! What a wonderful experience for both you and your daughter to end up talking so much Welsh after all your anxiety leading up to this moment! I can really imagine your excitement afterwards! I felt the same regarding plucking up the necessary courage to speak to perfect strangers in shops in Wales, but every time I thought to myself, I can't do this, I would remind myself that if I don't, I will never do it and will miss an opportunity to not only use my Welsh, but experience the pleasure of having made that contact with someone who will appreciate my efforts, no matter how hesitant! It really does give you such a thrill and a sense of achievement, which inspires you to greater efforts! I hope you enjoyed visiting Parc y Scarlets as well!
my_cat_silky
SSiW Member

Postby vgh50 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:37 am

Bore da Alison,

Thank you so much!! You're quite right about never missing an opportunity even though as the moment approaches your heart is pounding. But as you say, the feeling afterwards inspires you all the more. I suppose the first step is always the hardest.

I've bumped into a few Welsh tourists in Taunton recently and I try to always greet them with Bore da/prynhawn da! Sadly I've not found a Welsh speaker here yet...but I'm still looking :smile:

Hwyl fawr :star:

PS Parc Y Scarlets was fantastic - I wish I lived a little closer because its the most amazing place to watch rugby :smile:
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby dee393 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:30 am

wow that is an amazing story.
well done to you. that is a massive step to have taken.
Im still on marys team, hiding under the tables....
you must be so proud of your self. Good luck with all your
future meet ups. no stopping you now.

i aspire to have that experience.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
dee393

Postby vgh50 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:19 pm

What a fantastic day! Up at 5.30am to watch 2 great games of rugby and then get ready for my second organised meet with reginald531 (and Caitlin). :party:

It's amazing, I wasn't nervous at all this time and we had a lovely fish and chips lunch gyda siarad Cymraeg. :clap:

We flipped backwards and forwards from English to Welsh and it was all very relaxed and comfortable. And the staff in the little English pub was very welcoming and didn't mind us gabbling away in Welsh at all! I'm looking forward to meeting up again soon. :smile:

I'm feeling pretty tired now but it was great to be chatting again in Welsh and its inspired Caitlin no end! It's been a brilliant day, so I just wanted to quickly share it with you.

Hwyl! :D
vgh50
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind